No announcement yet.

Talking Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, not too salty at all. It is pretty spicey though. So I am going to do 2 turkeys, One on the egg and one in the traeger as well. I have seen 20+ lb birds butterflied, but it does require alot of room. What you can do is butterfly it, then remove the legs/thighs and cook them individually. Be very aware of the skin and where you cut it. You want to leave as much as skin as you can for the breast meat. In this picture, they didnt leav enough skin on the breast. Just keep this in mind when you trim out the dark pieces. Another benefit to seperating them is if the meat finishes @ different times, you can take them off as they are done.

BTW, not my pics, I am borrowing them from the interweb....
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
      No, not too salty at all. It is pretty spicey though. So I am going to do 2 turkeys, One on the egg and one in the traeger as well. I have seen 20+ lb birds butterflied, but it does require alot of room. What you can do is butterfly it, then remove the legs/thighs and cook them individually. Be very aware of the skin and where you cut it. You want to leave as much as skin as you can for the breast meat. In this picture, they didnt leav enough skin on the breast. Just keep this in mind when you trim out the dark pieces. Another benefit to seperating them is if the meat finishes @ different times, you can take them off as they are done.

BTW, not my pics, I am borrowing them from the interweb....
      Interesting. Thanks.

I am going to smoke it for 4-5 hours and then finish off at 300 degrees. I might just leave it all in one piece to be safe this time around. I don't want it to dry out.

My daughter is having some surgery on Wednesday so we are going to do our turkey dinner tomorrow. My turkey is brining as we speak.

I will post pics tomorrow night.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
        No, not too salty at all. It is pretty spicey though.
        Most of us love the apple jerk rub but my parents and grandmother are coming over so I may hold off on that. It is spicy.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Modern Family joke.
          I got it and thought it was funny, but when Cameron mentioned it in the episode, I thought the same thing, "I bet that would be good."
          What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
          -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

So, I'm doing three turkeys this year for the feast at my house. I've done turkeys every year since I got married and I used to be a roasting guy, but the South (which arguably includes Houston) has converted me to frying. I can't give up gravy, though, so this year I am going to roast one and fry two.

Tonight I am prepping the brines. I am brining the one to roast and one of the ones to fry (the third fryer will be treated with injections of cajun butter - commercially produced, but tasty). I am going to brine for longer than usual to make sure we reach the proper osmosis.

I'm making a savory brine (for roasting) and a sweet brine (for frying). Both start with a gallon of vegetable broth and a cup and half of kosher salt (it's the low sodium broth, so I have to use more salt than usual). After that, here's what I add:

Savory: 1 T each of peppercorns, rosemary, thyme, sage, savory (a sort of pine-tinged thyme-like spice) and juniper berries, with a dash of honey.

Sweet: 1T each of peppercorns, allspice berries, cloves, molasses, plus 1/3 cup of chopped candied ginger and 1/2 cup white sugar.

I've done the savory before, but the sweet is a new recipe. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I made my brines last night, and this morning I got up early to put the turkeys in the brine mixture. Since I am making 2 birds, I decided to use brine bags instead of the bucket. They are a little awkward to handle and et all the air out. Anyways, I placed the first one in the fridge, then the second one. I shut the fridge and walked away. Then I heard something shift in the fride. I opened the door and the 2nd turkey flopped forward, bag opened, and spilt about a gallon of brine on my kitchen floor. It was a mess. I left my poor wife to finish cleaning it up becauseI didnt want to be late for work.

A gallon of brine makes a huge mess.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Interesting. Thanks.

I am going to smoke it for 4-5 hours and then finish off at 300 degrees. I might just leave it all in one piece to be safe this time around. I don't want it to dry out.

My daughter is having some surgery on Wednesday so we are going to do our turkey dinner tomorrow. My turkey is brining as we speak.

I will post pics tomorrow night.
                Pics?

I came home early and am starting the brine. I am getting excited. I made a practice run with a chicken on Sunday andbit was awesome. Will post pics.
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

I am doing a turkey for the first time. Doing it with my Mom's recipe handed down. Should be interesting.

Comment

My old man smokes a Turkey every year in he old Weber grill that he has had fro probably 30 years. I absolutely love smoked Turkey and my old man has it down. I can't wait for tomorrow.
                    "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                      Pics?

I came home early and am starting the brine. I am getting excited. I made a practice run with a chicken on Sunday andbit was awesome. Will post pics.
                      Here you go. Prior to smoking:

After five hours in the Traeger on the Smoke setting. It looked beautiful at this point.

My original plan was to smoke for five hours and then finish off in the Traeger at 300 degrees. But it was so cold (see snow in above photo) that I got worried that it wouldn't be done in time so I finished it off in the oven in the house. Darn thing almost didn't fit in our roasting pan:

While it looked great, it wasn't one of my better turkeys. I tried a new brine recipe and it was too watered down; almost no salt flavor and the meat was a little on the tough and dry side.

Oh well. I hope the rest of you have better luck.

Comment

Here you go. Prior to smoking:

After five hours in the Traeger on the Smoke setting. It looked beautiful at this point.

My original plan was to smoke for five hours and then finish off in the Traeger at 300 degrees. But it was so cold (see snow in above photo) that I got worried that it wouldn't be done in time so I finished it off in the oven in the house. Darn thing almost didn't fit in our roasting pan:

While it looked great, it wasn't one of my better turkeys. I tried a new brine recipe and it was too watered down; almost no salt flavor and the meat was a little on the tough and dry side.

Oh well. I hope the rest of you have better luck.
                        Well it looks good.

Is that Giallo Veneziano granite?
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Opened my Foster Farms Young Fresh turkey from Costco and the damned thing was bruised to bits. No Turkey cooking for me tonight. This after breaking 4 loaves of break for the stuffing.

Comment

The pattern on that drumstick had me singing Rocky Top.

Too bad it didn't turn out so well, but it looks great.

I've been brining for years and then roasting in the oven. We love it. I haven't graduated to smoking yet. Someday.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              The pattern on that drumstick had me singing Rocky Top.

Too bad it didn't turn out so well, but it looks great.

I've been brining for years and then roasting in the oven. We love it. I haven't graduated to smoking yet. Someday.
                              Well, the turkey wasn't that bad. Surprisingly, it has been quite good in leftovers. We had some excellent smoked turkey quesadillas last night.

Comment

Well, the turkey wasn't that bad. Surprisingly, it has been quite good in leftovers. We had some excellent smoked turkey quesadillas last night.
                                wait, you're already on leftovers? I just put my bird in the oven!
                                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                                X