Talking Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Yes, but it still tastes even better and is even juicier with a wet brine, and it creates enough drippings for gravy. I've never been disappointed with brining my frozen mass-produced flavor-injected industrial bird.
    This. It is worth soaking your turkey overnight no matter what.

Our brine involves the usual stuff (i.e. lots of course salt), but also adds some flavoring with a cinnamon stick, fresh sage, whole cloves, garlic, red onions, etc.

It is delish!

Comment

• doing thanksgiving with just the wife and kids at a buffet this year, but on friday we are having my MIL over for a small thanksgiving feast. i'm thinking of doing a turkey breast sous vide - anybody have experience with sous vide turkey?
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Cut it into parts again. The meat turned out great, but the skin on the breast didn’t crisp up like I hoped. I think you’re just working against yourself if you are smoking (which means lower temps) and cutting into pieces (which means smaller pieces and faster cooking time). It seems you need more time and hotter temps to get crispy skin than those steps will allow. Which is too bad because both steps make for tasty turkey.

What did turn out was my experiment for the legs. I de-boned, pulled out the tough sinews with pliers, stuck the tenderloin in the middle, and rolled it up to make a roulade. Results were pretty sweet.

τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• That roulade looks delish.

Re: skin, have you tried a pre-sear at 500* just to brown and crisp the skin? I do this on my whole turkey and it makes for crisp, tasty skin. Seems like it would work for the parts just as well.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            That roulade looks delish.

Re: skin, have you tried a pre-sear at 500* just to brown and crisp the skin? I do this on my whole turkey and it makes for crisp, tasty skin. Seems like it would work for the parts just as well.
            That will be what I do on the next turkey I do. That, or pan-sear the breast at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
              Seeing Jay's post above makes me want to try sous vide but I don't want to have to cut the bird up beforehand. Anova says you can cook the entire turkey sous vide, so maybe we'll try it this T-day.

They pour a bunch of chicken stock into the bag with the turkey, sous vide for 24 hours @ 150ºF, and then crispify in the oven.
              I chickened (turkied?) out and we roasted the turkey in an oven bag. I read up more on sous vide of whole turkeys and saw enough negative reviews that I decided not to risk it.

It turned out great so I'm happy to stick with tradition.
              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                I chickened (turkied?) out and we roasted the turkey in an oven bag. I read up more on sous vide of whole turkeys and saw enough negative reviews that I decided not to risk it.

It turned out great so I'm happy to stick with tradition.
                Lol. Nice work on the chicken/turkey line.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Lol. Nice work on the chicken/turkey line.
                  Thanks. Your praise means a lot.
                  "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                  "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                  This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                  "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                  "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• This could easily go in the brisket or pulled-pork thread as well.

In my experience, the "temperature continues to rise after you pull the turkey from the oven (or turn off the oven)" thing simply doesn't happen. I see recipes and videos and all kinds of thing that says, "remember, the internal temperature will continue to rise 5 to 10 degrees after you turn off the heat". I even saw one recipe claim a 10-15 degree rise. I have simply never seen this happen, ever.

At MOST I've seen a 2 degree temperature rise after I've pulled something off (or simply turned off) the Traeger or the oven. Doesn't matter whether it's in foil or not. Doesn't matter whether it's brisket or pulled pork or turkey. I've never seen my thermometer increase more than 2 degrees after I stop the heat.

Have any of you experienced a temperature rise of more than 5 degrees? Have you even experienced a 5 degree post-heat rise? Is it just magic vortex of temperature at my house that makes things not rise after I turn off the heat?

Comment

• I dont really ever check the internal temp after I pull my meat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I see it on thin cuts cooked at high temps, like steak. Not big things like turkey.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          This could easily go in the brisket or pulled-pork thread as well.

In my experience, the "temperature continues to rise after you pull the turkey from the oven (or turn off the oven)" thing simply doesn't happen. I see recipes and videos and all kinds of thing that says, "remember, the internal temperature will continue to rise 5 to 10 degrees after you turn off the heat". I even saw one recipe claim a 10-15 degree rise. I have simply never seen this happen, ever.

At MOST I've seen a 2 degree temperature rise after I've pulled something off (or simply turned off) the Traeger or the oven. Doesn't matter whether it's in foil or not. Doesn't matter whether it's brisket or pulled pork or turkey. I've never seen my thermometer increase more than 2 degrees after I stop the heat.

Have any of you experienced a temperature rise of more than 5 degrees? Have you even experienced a 5 degree post-heat rise? Is it just magic vortex of temperature at my house that makes things not rise after I turn off the heat?
                          Agreed. 2 degrees is typical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            I dont really ever check the internal temp after I pull my meat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            Does Mrs. Pelado check it?
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              Does Mrs. Pelado check it?
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• We're having a Thanksgiving dinner for FHE in our YSA ward next week. We've been asked to cook the Turkey for it. We're probably looking at about 100 people. If I use a planning factor of one pound per person, that's seven 15 pound turkeys. That seems like a logistical headache.

What ideas do you have to make this a little easier? Does turkey lend itself to holding at a certain temperature? I've been looking to see if I can just buy cooked turkey from a local catering source, but haven't found anything that works yet.

I've considered cooking a couple of briskets just because, and then supplementing with a less turkeys, or even going to Costco and buying some rotisserie chickens just prior.

We could have a couple of us smoke briskets, place them on hold, then smoke a couple turkeys. I could even deep fry a turkey just prior to the event as well. If I got a couple of deep fryers, we could crank through more birds in a shorter timeframe.

Comment

Working...
                                X