Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Talking Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Going to other BBQ places is tough for me. For the amount of money I spend for one or two plates at a BBQ joint, I can feed several times that many cooking it myself, with results that are sufficiently good so as not to outweigh my astonishing cheapness. Plus, I think it's fun.
    Yep.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Going to other BBQ places is tough for me. For the amount of money I spend for one or two plates at a BBQ joint, I can feed several times that many cooking it myself, with results that are sufficiently good so as not to outweigh my astonishing cheapness. Plus, I think it's fun.
    Since I started cooking for money this year, I’ve gone to more BBQ places in the last 8 months than I had the previous 10 years combined. I usually leave disappointed in the money spent. I’ve found that I basically care more about the quality of the sides now than the BBQ. And I’m nothing special. It’s just hard to cook huge batches of BBQ and have it be better than what you can do on your own. The price just is injury to insult.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Since I started cooking for money this year, I’ve gone to more BBQ places in the last 8 months than I had the previous 10 years combined. I usually leave disappointed in the money spent. I’ve found that I basically care more about the quality of the sides now than the BBQ. And I’m nothing special. It’s just hard to cook huge batches of BBQ and have it be better than what you can do on your own. The price just is injury to insult.
    I make no pretense on being able to compete with a professional's quality, happy as I am with what I have been able to do. I just suffer from clinical parsimony.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν