Talking Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Just straight up smoke, without going to 300+? How big a bird do you have that you can do that in 8 hours?
    Good point. Just checked my notes. Two years ago I cooked a 12-lb turkey (two of them) in 8-9 hrs. Last year I did a 20-lb turkey and it was done in 9 hrs. 225 degrees both times.

You can always pull it and finish in the oven or smoker at 300 or 350 degrees if you get nervous.

Wood = Apple.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Good point. Just checked my notes. Two years ago I cooked a 12-lb turkey (two of them) in 8-9 hrs. Last year I did a 20-lb turkey and it was done in 9 hrs. 225 degrees both times.

You can always pull it and finish in the oven or smoker at 300 or 350 degrees if you get nervous.

Wood = Apple.
      jl you should sell copies of your little black book
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
        Please, please, please. Enough. This needs to stop in Trump's America.

A vegetarian main so epic, you won't miss the turkey
        Step 1 - prepare the eggplant...

I didn't even bother to wait for Step 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          WTH is a food-safe bucket?
          A bucket that the FDA has said is safe for the storage of food, usually are square instead of round. Hope that helps!
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            A bucket that the FDA has said is safe for the storage of food, usually are square instead of round. Hope that helps!
            helps me. I may look for one of those this holiday season!
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

I'm planning on smoking 2 turkey breasts after an overnight brine. This is the first time I've done turkey on my new Traeger (sorry, haven't updated the 'smoker' thread), so I'm going to try a longer smoke on one of the breasts. The brine is heavy on apple cider and I'll be using apple wood chips. I'm hoping that if the one that uses less smoke time has too much apple flavor, the smokier one will taste less sweet.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

In Alton Brown's newest book he has a modified version of his turkey. It's still brined, of course, but cooked in a dutch oven. I assume no one has tried this yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                  In Alton Brown's newest book he has a modified version of his turkey. It's still brined, of course, but cooked in a dutch oven. I assume no one has tried this yet?
                  Do they make dutch ovens big enough to cook a 16-18 lb turkey?

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                    Do they make dutch ovens big enough to cook a 16-18 lb turkey?
                    I doubt it. His recipe calls for a 10 to 12 pound bird, both so it can fit, and to make temperature control easier. 10 to 12 is fine with me, as I am planning on doing one in the oven and one in the smoker, and we'll only have 11 people for Thanksgiving.

Comment

is his recipe the one where you break down the turkey before cooking?
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        is his recipe the one where you break down the turkey before cooking?
                        No, not in this one. Basically, you heat the Dutch oven in a 500 degree oven until it is piping hot. Put the turkey in it and cook 20 minutes covered, another 20 minutes uncovered, and then out of the oven in the Dutch oven another 20 minutes or so until done.

Seems interesting, but maybe a bit risky.

Comment

I brought up the idea of smoking a brisket for thanksgiving. I lost by a vote of 4:3 with MJ casting the tie breaking vote. Interestingly enough, the vote was down gender lines with all males voting for the brisket and all females voting for the turkey (citing tradition as the main reason with MJ actually saying she likes turkey).

I still don’t like turkey, but frying it has at least made it edible for me.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                            No, not in this one. Basically, you heat the Dutch oven in a 500 degree oven until it is piping hot. Put the turkey in it and cook 20 minutes covered, another 20 minutes uncovered, and then out of the oven in the Dutch oven another 20 minutes or so until done.

Seems interesting, but maybe a bit risky.
                            that sounds interesting. may need to give it a shot.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

After getting used to sous vide turkey breast cooked at 140, I'm dreading my mother-in-law's turkey. I'm pretty sure more people have died on Thanksgiving from choking on dry turkey meat than salmonella poisoning. At least she nails the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                I brought up the idea of smoking a brisket for thanksgiving. I lost by a vote of 4:3 with MJ casting the tie breaking vote. Interestingly enough, the vote was down gender lines with all males voting for the brisket and all females voting for the turkey (citing tradition as the main reason with MJ actually saying she likes turkey).

I still don’t like turkey, but frying it has at least made it edible for me.
                                Dude, I think the first thing I ever smoked was a turkey. Best turkey I've ever had in my life!

Comment

Working...
                                X