Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can marijuana save California's economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can marijuana save California's economy?

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...884956,00.html
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Do you know what happened 159 years ago ... Back in 1850?

California became a state.

The people had no electricity.

The state had no money.

Almost everyone spoke Spanish.

There were gunfights in the streets.

So basically nothing has changed except the women had real boobs

And the men didn't hold hands.

Comment

They were talking about the fires in California on the news today, and one of the consequences I hadn't heard much about was the effect on marijuana growers.

Yes - thousands of homes have burned, people have been killed, I get that this is a huge tragedy. This isn't intended to minimize those in any way.

I just found it interesting the potential outcome to the marijuana economy of having at least 6 large farms being destroyed in the fires. The news report indicated that these 6 farms made up a HUGE portion of the country's legal pot growing, and as they were set to harvest in the coming weeks, most of their harvest went up in smoke. (Ha!) So there will be a diminished supply available for sell - which could drive up costs.

On top of that - insurance companies would not insure these farmers, as they cannot insure products that are illegal according to federal law. So reports are that these 6 farmers are likely to go out of business having lost their entire harvest and not having the financial wherewithal to go another year without any cashflow.

I thought it was an interesting discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        They were talking about the fires in California on the news today, and one of the consequences I hadn't heard much about was the effect on marijuana growers.

Yes - thousands of homes have burned, people have been killed, I get that this is a huge tragedy. This isn't intended to minimize those in any way.

I just found it interesting the potential outcome to the marijuana economy of having at least 6 large farms being destroyed in the fires. The news report indicated that these 6 farms made up a HUGE portion of the country's legal pot growing, and as they were set to harvest in the coming weeks, most of their harvest went up in smoke. (Ha!) So there will be a diminished supply available for sell - which could drive up costs.

On top of that - insurance companies would not insure these farmers, as they cannot insure products that are illegal according to federal law. So reports are that these 6 farmers are likely to go out of business having lost their entire harvest and not having the financial wherewithal to go another year without any cashflow.

There has been a severe shortage of Funyuns and Cheetos in the region since the fires.
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

There are between 10,000 and 15,000 pot farms. It's the vineyards that are getting their asses kicked by the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            There are between 10,000 and 15,000 pot farms. It's the vineyards that are getting their asses kicked by the fire.
            The vineyards are able to be insured. The pot farms not so much.

There may be as many pot farmers as you say in Cali - but according to the news I was listening to, these 6 farms make up more than 50% of Cali's pot farming. I'm sure it's all about scale, though. There may be that many farmers - they all don't have huge acreage dedicated to pot.

Comment

The vineyards are able to be insured. The pot farms not so much.

There may be as many pot farmers as you say in Cali - but according to the news I was listening to, these 6 farms make up more than 50% of Cali's pot farming. I'm sure it's all about scale, though. There may be that many farmers - they all don't have huge acreage dedicated to pot.
              It has touched part of Humboldt Co., but only a bit. If that changes that industry is screwed. That's pot central in CA. You're probably right about the size. No idea about percentages. And farms would to large and small operations.

Comment

Working...
              X