Is it fair to think of Rove vs. Palin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it fair to think of Rove vs. Palin

as a microcosm of the current tensions in the Republican party?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

I vote no. In most cases, Rove and Palin support the same type of candidate and say the same type of thing--though Rove usually says it better.

A better example of the current tension would be Hatch vs. Demint

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      I vote no. In most cases, Rove and Palin support the same type of candidate and say the same type of thing--though Rove usually says it better.

A better example of the current tension would be Hatch vs. Demint
      I don't think Rove was sold on Sharon Angle or the witch. Rove is more pragmatic than Palin

Comment

Setting aside the ideological similarities of the two, I think it's an approximately fair statement. Rove is representative of the establishment. He's among the puppetmasters of the party who will compromise in exchange for power. Palin is the face of the grassroots movement of the party, those who truly buy into the message and see compromise as failure. They both use each other at various times and can't succeed without the existence of the other, but there is definitely tension.

The Hatch-Demint comparison is also a good one, but it's more along the lines of pragmatist v. ideologue. I do have a hard time viewing Hatch through the establishment lens, especially because he has been shut out at various points in his career from party leadership.

Comment

Working...
        X