Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 858

Thread: AMC's The Walking Dead

  1. #1
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default AMC's The Walking Dead

    The Series Premiers(ed) tonight. I am a 1/3 of the way through and if you are down with zombies and/or horror, you need to be watching this. Terrifying and awesome.

  2. #2

    Default

    Loved the first episode. AMC knows how to do great television; there is no question about it.

    Intriguing and compelling first episode. You can already sense the tension that is going to exist among "the living". A co-worker who is a fan of the comic book series explained to me that the show is more about people than it is about the zombies. The zombies are a setting piece, but the show is about the living human characters. The older black guy was one of the jewelry dealers in Snatch! You could almost sense the British origins underneath his southern accent.

    I don't know why, but the post-apocalyptic has always fascinated me. Shows like 28 days later, Book of Eli. Books like The Road. Video games like Left 4 Dead. Societal breakdown, constant danger, surviving with a small team. So many aspects of modern life that you take for granted.

    Anyways, this show looks awesome, and I will be watching every week.

  3. #3
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    The character development in the premier was great. I am already engrossed in their survival. I finally have a new TV show I am excited about.

  4. #4

    Default

    Wow, what a start to the show. I hope it keeps up.

  5. #5
    Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,289

    Default

    Great first episode! And I love that they told potential audiences everything they needed to know in that opening scene at the gas station. "Hey guys, if you like this, you'll like the show. If not, change the channel."

  6. #6
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,384

    Default

    I had heard some good reviews on the radio so I watched last night. I was very impressed. My wife even sat down and watched after making fun of me for "watching a zombie movie." I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  7. #7
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    So for those that watched last night.

    Spoiler for Spoilers:
    I am pretty sure I am okay saying that Ricks partner was making out with his wife, right? The scene with the Morgan trying to cap his wife was shot great imo. The scene when rick get's hit in the face with the shovel and the tank scene had me on edge.

    I can't wait till next Sunday.

  8. #8
    Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    So for those that watched last night.

    Spoiler for Spoilers:
    I am pretty sure I am okay saying that Ricks partner was making out with his wife, right? The scene with the Morgan trying to cap his wife was shot great imo. The scene when rick get's hit in the face with the shovel and the tank scene had me on edge.

    I can't wait till next Sunday.
    You are correct about the partner. That's a major storyline in the comic book.

  9. #9
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    You are correct about the partner. That's a major storyline in the comic book.
    Thanks. As a follower of the comic, I am wondering if you can answer this for me,

    Spoiler for answers:
    How long was Rick in his coma?

  10. #10
    Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Thanks. As a follower of the comic, I am wondering if you can answer this for me,

    Spoiler for answers:
    How long was Rick in his coma?
    I actually had that same question when I was watching the episode last night. It's been a long time since I read the first story arc (the series is past issue 70 now.) I'm going to dig it up tonight and see if it offered any more clues than the episode did.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    I actually had that same question when I was watching the episode last night. It's been a long time since I read the first story arc (the series is past issue 70 now.) I'm going to dig it up tonight and see if it offered any more clues than the episode did.
    Whoa! Little Robin and I read the first book at Barnes&Noble, and it was a pretty decent length. You are telling me that there are 70 books like that?

  12. #12
    Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    Whoa! Little Robin and I read the first book at Barnes&Noble, and it was a pretty decent length. You are telling me that there are 70 books like that?
    Nah, Walking Dead is a standard monthly comic book and it's on about issue 78. There are about 10 of those trade paperbacks like the one you saw at the bookstore. They collect about 6-8 issues each. I think that first collection compiles issues #1-6.

  13. #13

    Default

    Wow. Just finished. That was really good.

  14. #14
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    That was flipping awesome! I usually don't get very into pilots, but that one totally grabbed me. Great character work, so many cool scenes. The writers made me care about these characters more in one episode than Lost did in six seasons.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

  15. #15
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    That was flipping awesome! I usually don't get very into pilots, but that one totally grabbed me. Great character work, so many cool scenes. The writers made me care about these characters more in one episode than Lost did in six seasons.
    Now you've gone and pissed DrumNFeather off.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  16. #16
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    Did he not like the premiere or something?
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

  17. #17
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    My wife and I watched it and really liked it. I liked how there is the build up. It was not nonstop action of killing and running from zombies...that would have become quickly tiresome. The writers are telling the story. That is good. With that said, there seems to be little doubt that there will be some action and zombie killing -with the story and character development being center stage. Thumbs up.

  18. #18
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,368

    Default

    I watched the premier last night, but I wasn't blown away. It was good, and I'll return next week, but I felt like it was a little empty, especially for an hour and a half premier. I don't know what it was. Probably would have liked to have met a few more characters, or maybe spent a little more time with Shane and Carl and Lori.

    Or at least give me some more info about the fever. That would be the FIRST thing I'd ask about when I woke up at the black dude's house. What's this disease? How did it start? How far has it spread? What was the news before the broadcasts went down? Instead, the main dude was just like "there's a fever that turns people into walkers? Bummer. I wonder where my family went." Even if they don't want to address those questions in the premier, the least they could do is acknowledge them.

    Anyway, it looks like it will be a good show and I will be watching. I'm interested to see who
    Spoiler for premier ending:
    that punk is that knew he was in the tank and spoke to him on the radio. And how he gets out of the tank.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I'm interested to see who
    Spoiler for premier ending:
    that punk is that knew he was in the tank and spoke to him on the radio. And how he gets out of the tank.
    If you had watched the preview for next week, you would know.

  20. #20
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    If you had watched the preview for next week, you would know.
    Yes, I purposely stopped the recording at that point. I hate when the give stuff away.

  21. #21
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    Or at least give me some more info about the fever. That would be the FIRST thing I'd ask about when I woke up at the black dude's house. What's this disease? How did it start? How far has it spread? What was the news before the broadcasts went down? Instead, the main dude was just like "there's a fever that turns people into walkers? Bummer. I wonder where my family went." Even if they don't want to address those questions in the premier, the least they could do is acknowledge them
    .

    My buddy and I were talking about this last night, as I wondered if they would at some point give us more information about what happened, or if they'd treat this brand of apocalypse the way The Road did: how and why it happened is not the point so much as it did happen and the only thing you can really do is deal with the aftermath.

    That said, I'm guessing that in this show we'll get a lot more background as to what happened at some point.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    .

    My buddy and I were talking about this last night, as I wondered if they would at some point give us more information about what happened, or if they'd treat this brand of apocalypse the way The Road did: how and why it happened is not the point so much as it did happen and the only thing you can really do is deal with the aftermath.

    That said, I'm guessing that in this show we'll get a lot more background as to what happened at some point.
    That's how it should be and I believe that's how it should be. Who cares how it came about, that's not the point.

  23. #23
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Yes, I purposely stopped the recording at that point. I hate when the give stuff away.

    except when you want them too.

  24. #24
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    I watched the premier last night, but I wasn't blown away. It was good, and I'll return next week, but I felt like it was a little empty, especially for an hour and a half premier. I don't know what it was.
    Maybe the lack of diagloue? In the first half hour of the show, I'm guessing there was a total of about five minute worth of dialogue. But, that's kind of what I loved about it. It created sort of this vast emptiness that created a mood and ambiance. You could have never gotten away with something like that on network TV.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

  25. #25
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Maybe the lack of diagloue? In the first half hour of the show, I'm guessing there was a total of about five minute worth of dialogue. But, that's kind of what I loved about it. It created sort of this vast emptiness that created a mood and ambiance. You could have never gotten away with something like that on network TV.
    That first half hour in some ways reminded me of the opening to There Will Be Blood. Seemed to have something of a similar purpose.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

  26. #26
    Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Or at least give me some more info about the fever. That would be the FIRST thing I'd ask about when I woke up at the black dude's house. What's this disease? How did it start? How far has it spread? What was the news before the broadcasts went down? Instead, the main dude was just like "there's a fever that turns people into walkers? Bummer. I wonder where my family went." Even if they don't want to address those questions in the premier, the least they could do is acknowledge them.
    See, to me that is the least interesting part of the story. The story is about survival in a dystopic world. Who cares how it happened? What use would that information have to the survivors? All that matters now is how to keep on going. You'll probably want to know that, if this series stays at all true to its source material, it will never answer those questions you're asking.

  27. #27
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    That's how it should be and I believe that's how it should be. Who cares how it came about, that's not the point.
    In a show that goes on for several seasons, you've got to address it. Any normal person with any normal amount of curiosity would at least ask about it. I don't think you can go on for several seasons without someone at least asking the questions, even if the answer is "we don't know for sure, and the lines of communication went down before we could get any answers."

    The Road is a different story. They don't start at the beginning of the apocalypse. We assume the characters all know what caused the apocalypse, that's why its not important for the reader/viewer to know. Here, the main character has no idea what brought about this cataclysmic change. One moment everything is normal, the next moment he wakes up and his town is dead save for a dude and his kid and dozens of zombies, and he's not curious? It doesn't ring true.

  28. #28
    Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    .



    That said, I'm guessing that in this show we'll get a lot more background as to what happened at some point.
    Most likely not, if the source material is any indication.

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    In a show that goes on for several seasons, you've got to address it. Any normal person with any normal amount of curiosity would at least ask about it. I don't think you can go on for several seasons without someone at least asking the questions, even if the answer is "we don't know for sure, and the lines of communication went down before we could get any answers."

    The Road is a different story. They don't start at the beginning of the apocalypse. We assume the characters all know what caused the apocalypse, that's why its not important for the reader/viewer to know. Here, the main character has no idea what brought about this cataclysmic change. One moment everything is normal, the next moment he wakes up and his town is dead save for a dude and his kid and dozens of zombies, and he's not curious? It doesn't ring true.
    I must not have normal curiosity. Not once during the pilot did I think to myself "wait a minute, how did the fever come about? I demand answers!". Didn't cross my mind. I don't care. The why doesn't really have anything to do with the show. It's not important.

    How bout this: It came about from some alien meteorite that landed in a nevadan desert. Feel better?

  30. #30
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    We assume the characters all know what caused the apocalypse, that's why its not important for the reader/viewer to know.
    I assumed the opposite, that they had no idea what caused it, which is why it was never talked about. That seems the most consistent with a cataclysmic event.

    They don't start at the beginning of the apocalypse.
    Neither did this show. We see what was going on before and after whatever this event was, but was saw neither the immediately before nor immediately after. The real starting point for these characters was well into this new world that they had inhabited, especially for the main protagonist. He could have woken up one week into it, one month into it, or several months into it. I guess since there are other characters who would have been conscious at the very beginning, you wonder why the lead guy isn't more inquistive when he interacts with them -- I actually wondered the same for a bit last night, but eventually chalked it up to the fact that the writers simply didn't want us to know what happened at that point. And, like others have said, if we don't get anymore info about "the event," I'm completely fine with it, as to me it is mostly besides the point. The basics have been laid out and I think we already know the most importand bits of information.
    Last edited by MarkGrace; 11-03-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •