Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rome Temple Groundbreaking

While I think that they could have done a better job with the architecture (don't think that classical would have worked in that area, it's miles from anything ancient) I'm happy to report that all the Italians I know are thrilled with the design. I don't think they're aware of the similarities between it and the two mentioned in this thread.
    Dio perdona tante cose per uníopera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

So, I think this is pretty cool...the Rome, Italy temple received the Christus statue this week, and the visitors center will also include statues of the original 12 Apostles:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...d-statues.html

1821007.jpg
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So, I think this is pretty cool...the Rome, Italy temple received the Christus statue this week, and the visitors center will also include statues of the original 12 Apostles:

That is very cool. My wife and I have visited the Church of Our Lady in Copenhagen. The Christus is front and center of the chapel and the apostles are arranged down the sides. The entire chapel is white except for a golden alcove around the Christus. Beautiful.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

1821007.jpg
    I'm working on finding a reason to be outraged and offended by this. I cannot find one yet, but I will continue to work on it and will surely come up with something.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I'm working on finding a reason to be outraged and offended by this. I cannot find one yet, but I will continue to work on it and will surely come up with something.
    You need to hurry up. Your life is too short to waste time on this sort of thing.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    You need to hurry up. Your life is too short to waste time on this sort of thing.
    Not a fan of the temple's architecture. I wouldn't recognize mpfunk's "outrage" per se on this matter, but say something smaller like "a legitimate beef" I could get behind.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

My Aunt toured the temple grounds last year when she went to Rome. I tried to give her recommendations to do while she was there, but she was "all booked". She went with an LDS tour company, so it's not surprising she spent an (IMHO) inordinate amount of time at the temple site. You could have gone to the catacombs instead, Aunt...

Anyways, she finally got around to posting pics from her trip, which included shots of the Christus and apostles. I didn't notice until now the detail of St. Peter with the keys, which is kind of a big deal in Italy:

17620149_675377609307822_493121287033424323_o.jpg

Well played, church. Well played.

Lots of photos recently released. The temple and temple grounds look amazing. It's nice to see unique designs with architectural elements that fit the culture and history of the location. Not sure if this is merely the case for the Rome temple because Rome is such a high-visibility religious location, or if there is an effort to produce more unique temples, but I hope the trend continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEwb...2hS00JbdgkAZX0
    Last edited by Donuthole; 01-14-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark ďegg on your faceĒ! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Oh, come on, that's easy. They're all men, and they're all white.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Lots of photos recently released. The temple and temple grounds look amazing. It's nice to see unique designs with architectural elements that fit the culture and history of the location. Not sure if this is merely the case for the Rome temple because Rome is such a high-visibility religious location, or if there is an effort to produce more unique temples, but I hope the trend continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEwb...2hS00JbdgkAZX0
    Satan wins every time you share that link from the Mormon Newsroom.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

Princeps Inter Pares

Satan wins every time you share that link from the Mormon Newsroom.
    Mine was better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    My Aunt toured the temple grounds last year when she went to Rome. I tried to give her recommendations to do while she was there, but she was "all booked". She went with an LDS tour company, so it's not surprising she spent an (IMHO) inordinate amount of time at the temple site. You could have gone to the catacombs instead, Aunt...
    My wife signed us up for one of these trips in May. I had no real desire to visit Europe, but maybe after going there I'll change my mind. I think we're supposed to attend a temple session...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    My wife signed us up for one of these trips in May. I had no real desire to visit Europe, but maybe after going there I'll change my mind. I think we're supposed to attend a temple session...
    I don't understand attending temple sessions on vacation. I really don't understand it, even when I was a MOTCOJCOLDS
    --SeattleUte

I don't understand attending temple sessions on vacation. I really don't understand it, even when I was a MOTCOJCOLDS
    I agree. I've got two temples within 25 miles of me, zero beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I agree. I've got two temples within 25 miles of me, zero beaches.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're saying is you've got 99 problems but a beach ain't one?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark ďegg on your faceĒ! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're saying is you've got 99 problems but a beach ain't one?
    No youíre are not understanding me correctly. I have very few problems right now, i canít golf right now but we have a nice xcountry track groomed out at the course and I enjoy that. My wife and myself went xcountry skiing up at Island Park last Saturday and it was such a nice day. High 20ís, good snow, the river full of trumpeter swans and the sky was clear, it really was a great day. Work is good, we are expanding and will have 15,000 acres of spuds next year. My sons are doing well. My house is paid full, I bought a new Tacoma and itís nice to take up in the hills. DH I was just saying I have a temple near by, I donít have a beach and if Iím on vacation Iím looking for a beach to spend my time but thatís just me.

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

"Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    No youíre are not understanding me correctly. I have very few problems right now, i canít golf right now but we have a nice xcountry track groomed out at the course and I enjoy that. My wife and myself went xcountry skiing up at Island Park last Saturday and it was such a nice day. High 20ís, good snow, the river full of trumpeter swans and the sky was clear, it really was a great day. Work is good, we are expanding and will have 15,000 acres of spuds next year. My sons are doing well. My house is paid full, I bought a new Tacoma and itís nice to take up in the hills. DH I was just saying I have a temple near by, I donít have a beach and if Iím on vacation Iím looking for a beach to spend my time but thatís just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I know.

I've done it before at the Kona temple and the San Diego temple. At Kona, the ward indicated they were having a temple night on Thursday and everybody was welcome, so we said "hey, why not?" They would even find temple clothing for us. I quite enjoyed it. Attended there a few years later when my sister and her husband spent a week on the big island with us. Managed to time it so that we were on a session with the missionary zone conference.

In the case of the Rome temple, that's the big reason why my wife wants to go on this trip. I figure it's worth a few hours to do it. And it doesn't take as long as it used to these days...

Don't be ridiculous. Italy is a fantastic place to visit.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. Italy is a fantastic place to visit.
    If we could go visit the Ferrari factory followed by the Ducati factory it would have placed higher on my list.

I already admitted that I could very well change my mind once I see Spain, France, and Italy.

Yeah, but you were never really a MOTCOJCOLDS. You were just mascarading as a MOTCOJCOLDS.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

If we could go visit the Ferrari factory followed by the Ducati factory it would have placed higher on my list.

I already admitted that I could very well change my mind once I see Spain, France, and Italy.
    We went to the Ferrari factory in 2016. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Yeah, but you were never really a MOTCOJCOLDS. You were just mascarading as a MOTCOJCOLDS.
    so I take it you completely understand going to the temple while on vacation? Which temple is your favorite to hit up while on vacation?
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

When we were visiting my daughter on her mission in Nauvoo, my wife wanted to do a session in the temple there. Maybe I should have gone, but chose not to get up early and go (she did). I did however go out late at night and shoot pictures of it.

Do I have my priorities messed up or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    so I take it you completely understand going to the temple while on vacation? Which temple is your favorite to hit up while on vacation?
    I'm still working towards the vacation part.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I would go to Italy again in a heartbeat, were it not for so many other places I have to see. You will see some incredible sites. However, if your tour is anything like the one my aunt went on, you’re gonna wish you had more time. They spent at least two days on temple-centric activities. Best become unworthy now for a recommend and hit the catacombs while your wife does a session.

Pre-Historic Man

Ferrari is in Modena, a really cool place not too far from Florence and Siena. I'd go there before I went to Rome.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.