Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 88

Thread: Rome Temple Groundbreaking

  1. #1
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

  2. #2
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,213

    Default

    Another temple? Aren't there homeless shelters that could be built?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  3. #3
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Another temple? Aren't there homeless shelters that could be built?
    The calculus is simple: save millions of souls forever in the temple or save a few mortal lives in a shelter.

  4. #4

    Default

    What do you think of the design?
    It seems to be a little different than the current standard. But I'd have hoped for more in Rome.
    I kind of like the other buildings, visitor's cetners, etc. They have a bit of a Romanesque feel, don't they?



  5. #5
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    What do you think of the design?
    It seems to be a little different than the current standard. But I'd have hoped for more in Rome.
    I kind of like the other buildings, visitor's cetners, etc. They have a bit of a Romanesque feel, don't they?


    The design is definitely unique. Kind of reminds me of the San Diego temple in a way, but still has some stark differences. I was also hoping for more of a "Roman" feel to the temple with some columns or maybe a dome. One thing I really like about the Houston temple is that it has a "Southern Mansion" feel to it that personalizes it to the area.

    It is pretty cool though that it's not just your typical cookie cutter block temple like Bountiful and Mt. Timp.

  6. #6
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,213

    Default

    I think it's cool. I am glad we didn't go with some Romanesque design. It looks very Mormon. As it should. Boom bitches.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  7. #7
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Jones View Post
    The design is definitely unique. Kind of reminds me of the San Diego temple in a way, but still has some stark differences. I was also hoping for more of a "Roman" feel to the temple with some columns or maybe a dome. One thing I really like about the Houston temple is that it has a "Southern Mansion" feel to it that personalizes it to the area.

    It is pretty cool though that it's not just your typical cookie cutter block temple like Bountiful and Mt. Timp.
    I was just about to say "It's a shame they went with the cookie cutter design."
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  8. #8
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    The calculus is simple: save millions of souls forever in the temple or save a few mortal lives in a shelter.
    If we are going to start doing simple calculus, we should shut down the missionary program and put everyone to work doing extraction and temple work. Don't worry about the current living souls, we do their work after they die.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  9. #9
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    What do you think of the design?
    It seems to be a little different than the current standard. But I'd have hoped for more in Rome.
    I kind of like the other buildings, visitor's cetners, etc. They have a bit of a Romanesque feel, don't they?


    all temples look pretty much the same to me. from the look of the drawings, the Church reserved plenty of land around the Rome temple to build $4.3B lire worth of condos and shops.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  10. #10
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,105

    Default

    I think some nude pictures on the ceiling would give it more of a Rome feel.

  11. #11
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    all temples look pretty much the same to me. from the look of the drawings, the Church reserved plenty of land around the Rome temple to build $4.3B lire worth of condos and shops.
    Cue Babs with the "They use the Euro now" comment.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  12. #12

    Default

    I'm not too wild about the design, but all of my Mormon Italian friends are ecstatic about it. I tend to think that they're just stoked to have one, but they may truly love its design.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

  13. #13

    Default

    Anything with a "roman" look would pale in comparison to the existing architecture. Better to go with a mormon look rather than to imitate.

  14. #14
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Anything with a "roman" look would pale in comparison to the existing architecture.
    And thereby preempt an full frontal assault by SU to that effect.

  15. #15
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    If we are going to start doing simple calculus, we should shut down the missionary program and put everyone to work doing extraction and temple work. Don't worry about the current living souls, we do their work after they die.
    But who will do the work for the dead after the living die?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  16. #16
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,359

    Default

    I think it's a cool design. I never had much hope for a "roman" look to the temple. I'm happy with something that at least looks distinctive.

    I still want them to do the inscription in Latin. Sanctitas Deo Domum Dei
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  17. #17
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    But who will do the work for the dead after the living die?
    Our kids. We can tell everyone to have huge families.

    I am sure we could put all of this in a spreadsheet and optimize it using the Solver Add-In.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  18. #18
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    If we are going to start doing simple calculus, we should shut down the missionary program and put everyone to work doing extraction and temple work. Don't worry about the current living souls, we do their work after they die.
    That's assuming that missionary work isn't at least equal part for the strengthening of our lay priesthood as well.

  19. #19
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Our kids. We can tell everyone to have huge families.

    I am sure we could put all of this in a spreadsheet and optimize it using the Solver Add-In.
    I agree. Kids is the way to go. But the missionary program offsets the number of our kids who go inactive.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  20. #20

    Default

    I was hoping for some included Roman design, but after thinking about it, I see wisdom behind the distinction. Without being disrespectful to some incredible architecture, the native infrastructure is common and may not have generated local interest. It will be visible from quite a distance and it clearly won't be blending in with surroundings.
    Last edited by TheAzzuri; 10-25-2010 at 04:11 PM.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    all temples look pretty much the same to me. from the look of the drawings, the Church reserved plenty of land around the Rome temple to build $4.3B lire worth of condos and shops.

    That's probably enough to buy one of these.


  22. #22
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    I'm not too wild about the design, but all of my Mormon Italian friends are ecstatic about it. I tend to think that they're just stoked to have one, but they may truly love its design.
    My friends in Italy are excited as well. Many of them would be happy if the temple was shaped like a box and made of cement simply because it would be their temple because they no longer have to go to Switzerland to attend a temple.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  23. #23
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    This short video is from May, but it shows the progress thus far in building the temple and gives us a good idea of the location.

    [YOUTUBE]wjKshmrpysA[/YOUTUBE]

    I couldn't help but laugh about the answer when narrator mentions when he asked when construction would be finished.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  24. #24
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    12,078

    Default

    While we were visiting there in May, a construction worker who is working on the marble exterior became so interested in the building's design that he took the discussions and joined the Church. Fittingly, the new Roman member's first name is Pietro.

  25. #25
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    While we were visiting there in May, a construction worker who is working on the marble exterior became so interested in the building's design that he took the discussions and joined the Church. Fittingly, the new Roman member's first name is Pietro.
    Excellent name.

    And I guess the calls earlier in this thread for the temple to have a more Romanesque look tell us that they were wrong and that the church architect was inspired, eh?
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  26. #26
    Rabblerouser statman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    What do you think of the design?
    It seems to be a little different than the current standard. But I'd have hoped for more in Rome.
    I kind of like the other buildings, visitor's cetners, etc. They have a bit of a Romanesque feel, don't they?


    Isn't that more or less what the KC Temple looks like?

  27. #27
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statman View Post
    Isn't that more or less what the KC Temple looks like?
    I was going to mention the rexburg temple.

    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  28. #28
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    It's similar to the Brigham City temple as well with some differences.

    This seems to be the latest basic design with various twists.

    At least they are out of the Bountiful/Timpanogas/etc. "square box" design.

    These at least hearken back to the earlier temples.

  29. #29
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,612

    Default

    I don't really care for it, it has the massing of a snow goose.


    Now that I think about it, a snow goose is quite beautiful.

  30. #30

    Default

    I think they should have gone more classical, in the Roman Optimus Maximus tradition:


    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •