No announcement yet.

Rome Temple Groundbreaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I think that they could have done a better job with the architecture (don't think that classical would have worked in that area, it's miles from anything ancient) I'm happy to report that all the Italians I know are thrilled with the design. I don't think they're aware of the similarities between it and the two mentioned in this thread.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

So, I think this is pretty cool...the Rome, Italy temple received the Christus statue this week, and the visitors center will also include statues of the original 12 Apostles:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...d-statues.html

1821007.jpg
      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
        So, I think this is pretty cool...the Rome, Italy temple received the Christus statue this week, and the visitors center will also include statues of the original 12 Apostles:

That is very cool. My wife and I have visited the Church of Our Lady in Copenhagen. The Christus is front and center of the chapel and the apostles are arranged down the sides. The entire chapel is white except for a golden alcove around the Christus. Beautiful.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7846[/ATTACH]
          I'm working on finding a reason to be outraged and offended by this. I cannot find one yet, but I will continue to work on it and will surely come up with something.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
            I'm working on finding a reason to be outraged and offended by this. I cannot find one yet, but I will continue to work on it and will surely come up with something.
            You need to hurry up. Your life is too short to waste time on this sort of thing.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              You need to hurry up. Your life is too short to waste time on this sort of thing.
              Not a fan of the temple's architecture. I wouldn't recognize mpfunk's "outrage" per se on this matter, but say something smaller like "a legitimate beef" I could get behind.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

My Aunt toured the temple grounds last year when she went to Rome. I tried to give her recommendations to do while she was there, but she was "all booked". She went with an LDS tour company, so it's not surprising she spent an (IMHO) inordinate amount of time at the temple site. You could have gone to the catacombs instead, Aunt...

Anyways, she finally got around to posting pics from her trip, which included shots of the Christus and apostles. I didn't notice until now the detail of St. Peter with the keys, which is kind of a big deal in Italy:

17620149_675377609307822_493121287033424323_o.jpg

Well played, church. Well played.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

Lots of photos recently released. The temple and temple grounds look amazing. It's nice to see unique designs with architectural elements that fit the culture and history of the location. Not sure if this is merely the case for the Rome temple because Rome is such a high-visibility religious location, or if there is an effort to produce more unique temples, but I hope the trend continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEwb...2hS00JbdgkAZX0
                  Last edited by Donuthole; 01-14-2019, 12:46 PM.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                    Oh, come on, that's easy. They're all men, and they're all white.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Lots of photos recently released. The temple and temple grounds look amazing. It's nice to see unique designs with architectural elements that fit the culture and history of the location. Not sure if this is merely the case for the Rome temple because Rome is such a high-visibility religious location, or if there is an effort to produce more unique temples, but I hope the trend continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEwb...2hS00JbdgkAZX0
                      Satan wins every time you share that link from the Mormon Newsroom.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Satan wins every time you share that link from the Mormon Newsroom.
                        Mine was better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          My Aunt toured the temple grounds last year when she went to Rome. I tried to give her recommendations to do while she was there, but she was "all booked". She went with an LDS tour company, so it's not surprising she spent an (IMHO) inordinate amount of time at the temple site. You could have gone to the catacombs instead, Aunt...
                          My wife signed us up for one of these trips in May. I had no real desire to visit Europe, but maybe after going there I'll change my mind. I think we're supposed to attend a temple session...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                            My wife signed us up for one of these trips in May. I had no real desire to visit Europe, but maybe after going there I'll change my mind. I think we're supposed to attend a temple session...
                            I don't understand attending temple sessions on vacation. I really don't understand it, even when I was a MOTCOJCOLDS
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I don't understand attending temple sessions on vacation. I really don't understand it, even when I was a MOTCOJCOLDS
                              I agree. I've got two temples within 25 miles of me, zero beaches.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                I agree. I've got two temples within 25 miles of me, zero beaches.
                                If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're saying is you've got 99 problems but a beach ain't one?
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X