Best BYU guard tandems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best BYU guard tandems

I'm having a senior moment, and I can't remember who started opposite Ainge in '81. Steve Craig? Scott Runia? I know Greg Ballif was the first guard off the bench. Anyway, any backcourt with Ainge is probably always going to be the best alltime. But two others were pretty good: Dick Nemelka and Jeff Congdon (I was thirteen, but I remember watching the NIT) were great, and Doug Richards and Belmont Anderson in the early '70s were a good duo, but their team sucked (I believe the team featured, among others, Mark Handy, whose B-Ball aptitude was commensurate with his overall wisdom, reflected in his belief that, being only 6'11", he could stealthily slip into and out of state liquor stores without fear of detection.

Back on point... Do Jimmer and Jackson, in addition to having the most distinctive names, have a shot at displacing Ainge and whomever I've forgotten as BYU's best alltime backcourt?

I think Emery has to develop a more refined offensive game for that to happen. He has time, and having seen him play in high school, i don't doubt he can do it. But right now he is essentially a spot up 3-point shooter. The only other offensive points he scores are breakaways on steals (which are great, but can't be counted on game in and game out) it seems.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I'm having a senior moment, and I can't remember who started opposite Ainge in '81. Steve Craig? Scott Runia? I know Greg Ballif was the first guard off the bench. Anyway, any backcourt with Ainge is probably always going to be the best alltime. But two others were pretty good: Dick Nemelka and Jeff Congdon (I was thirteen, but I remember watching the NIT) were great, and Doug Richards and Belmont Anderson in the early '70s were a good duo, but their team sucked (I believe the team featured, among others, Mark Handy, whose B-Ball aptitude was commensurate with his overall wisdom, reflected in his belief that, being only 6'11", he could stealthily slip into and out of state liquor stores without fear of detection.

Back on point... Do Jimmer and Jackson, in addition to having the most distinctive names, have a shot at displacing Ainge and whomever I've forgotten as BYU's best alltime backcourt?

I dont know where their place in BYU history will be (amazing that they are both only sophomores) but they really complement each other well. Emery is the disruptive force that can hit the three ball. Jimmer is the creative scorer and floor general. They will definitely go down as a top 5 backcourt ever at BYU. Somewhere behind Ainge and Steve Craig and somewhere ahead of Travis Hansen and Matt Montague.
      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

Brother Osmond started opposite Ainge.

Toolson and Haws formed a pretty solid backcourt as well.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
        X