No announcement yet.

joys of a water softener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a specific place a water softner has to be installed? One of the upgrades our builder offered was a notch-out of the plumbing for future installation of a water softener. We declined, as the price was ridiculous ($500 or something like that--maybe even more).

However, I just built some affixed shelving over the spot in the garage where the proposed plumbing fixture for the water softener would have been installed. Where, exactly, in a home's water line does a water softener need to be installed?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      It does to me. I never feel like I'm fulling rinsed after showering in soft water. I prefer hard water.
      Once again I find myself uttering the only two words I ever say when faced with MBN's analytical brilliance:

I agree.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Water softeners are like trash compactors -- you're happy and don't know what you're missing....till you use one -- then you'll never go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Is there a specific place a water softner has to be installed? One of the upgrades our builder offered was a notch-out of the plumbing for future installation of a water softener. We declined, as the price was ridiculous ($500 or something like that--maybe even more).

However, I just built some affixed shelving over the spot in the garage where the proposed plumbing fixture for the water softener would have been installed. Where, exactly, in a home's water line does a water softener need to be installed?
          Usually in the basement, next to the water heater, or if no basement, next to the water heater on the main floor. Sometimes they will run a line to the garage for the salt container for easier access to it and to avoid carrying all the heavy salt bags to the basement.

Comment

We have that little loop that you're talking about (but I didn't pay for it). As far as I can tell, that's just a convenience. Basically the water softener is just a big filter, so anywhere you can access the main water line should be fine.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

They put the loop right there because that's where the water usually goes into the house. The line immediately branches off to the water heater, and they run the hot and cold water lines into the house side by side. It's the most convenient spot to put the water softener as a result. I'm not sure if putting the shelving there was a good idea. A plumber can still deal with it, but in the end you may have been better off putting the loop in if the plumber has to dig into your wall and put an extension onto the pipe bringing water into the house.

My builder just put in a ton of stuff and whether he put it in or not wasn't even considered when we hired him to build the house. In hindsight, I should have asked him how much cheaper it would have been had he not plumbed the house for a central vac (is plumbed the right word?). There's no way in hell I'm ever getting a central vac.

But he also put in a couple special water lines to my refrigerator and kitchen sink. I put in a water softener but it doesn't soften the cold water going to my sink or my refrigerator because of the special line. I have a three-pronged loop where the water softener went. The bottom prong is the line coming in from the outside. The second prong is the ine that goes to my kitchen sink and refrigerator. The third prong goes to everything else in the house and is bypassed by my water softener.

I bought just a GE softener from Home Depot and it was perhaps the best $400 or so that I ever spent.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                I bought just a GE softener from Home Depot and it was perhaps the best $400 or so that I ever spent.
                :rockon2:
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

dont water your plants or animals from the soft water, all the mineral content is taken from the water and your plants and animals will not do very well by drinking it...

Most knowledgeable plumbers will be able to block out a tap or two for this purpose...

If you wash your car at the house allot, have the plumber run you a line into your garage for soft water and use this to rinse your cars, etc.. with it, spot free and shining...
                  Let's get on with the gettin' on....

Comment

Wankster, where have you been?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I have been around in the shadows a bit but life has been in turmoil the past year and half so I haven't had much time for anything except to survive...

Thanks for asking...

Christmas is gonna be great this year and 2011 is gonna be off the charts, all the negative is buried between 09 and 10 so whoo hoo...

Haven't had much time to follow the Cougs, maybe this was a good year to not follow?

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and all the rest of the CUF gang...
                      Let's get on with the gettin' on....

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        They put the loop right there because that's where the water usually goes into the house. The line immediately branches off to the water heater, and they run the hot and cold water lines into the house side by side. It's the most convenient spot to put the water softener as a result. I'm not sure if putting the shelving there was a good idea. A plumber can still deal with it, but in the end you may have been better off putting the loop in if the plumber has to dig into your wall and put an extension onto the pipe bringing water into the house.

My builder just put in a ton of stuff and whether he put it in or not wasn't even considered when we hired him to build the house. In hindsight, I should have asked him how much cheaper it would have been had he not plumbed the house for a central vac (is plumbed the right word?). There's no way in hell I'm ever getting a central vac.

But he also put in a couple special water lines to my refrigerator and kitchen sink. I put in a water softener but it doesn't soften the cold water going to my sink or my refrigerator because of the special line. I have a three-pronged loop where the water softener went. The bottom prong is the line coming in from the outside. The second prong is the ine that goes to my kitchen sink and refrigerator. The third prong goes to everything else in the house and is bypassed by my water softener.

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        :rockon2:
                        4 years later, how is (was, if you moved) the cheap GE water softener holding up?
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

4 years later, how is (was, if you moved) the cheap GE water softener holding up?
                          It was working very well up until I moved this summer. My new place has a water softener as well, but it doesn't seem to be working quite as well (although it is using just as much salt).

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            It was working very well up until I moved this summer. My new place has a water softener as well, but it doesn't seem to be working quite as well (although it is using just as much salt).
                            Thanks guys!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21514626
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                              Hack!

Originally posted by wally View Post
                              Water softeners increase salt content of our rivers and aquatic systems.

But you are a Ute, so I forgive you.

Comment

Hack!
                                Your not a Ute.

We love our water softener.
                                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Working...
                                X