• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DesNews editorial on BKP talk and reaction

Long editorial in today's DesNews regarding the BKP talk and aftermath:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ress.html?pg=1

Highlights the church's outstanding track-record on gays and gay rights:

This focused attention on the LDS Church is deeply ironic given the church's shared condemnation of hate and violence toward gays and lesbians, its mutual support of anti-discrimination laws for gays and lesbians and its compassionate ministry to LDS Church members who have same-gender attraction.

This past week, the LDS Church re-emphasized "that there is no room in this discussion for hatred or mistreatment of anyone." This is not new — it mirrors, for example, how the LDS Church helped to champion a Salt Lake City ordinance banning discrimination of gays and lesbians in housing and employment. And it is consistent with how the LDS Church has ministered to members with same-gender attraction.
    Paints the church as the victim:

Nonetheless, tactics used this week ostensibly to accomplish these purposes were counterproductive. Instead of seeking genuine common ground around issues of mutual concern, activists began this week with a grossly misguided caricature of the LDS Church's support of traditional morality.
    The tactic is now all-too familiar: take a statement out of context, embellish it with selective interpretation, presume hostile intent, and then use the distortion to isolate an entire group, in this case a church.
    Expresses shock that anyone could find something offensive in the talk (ironically, no mention of the edits):

We encourage all to read President Packer's talk rather than simply rely on the media interpretations and selective quotations. It stretches all credulity to find in President Packer's pastoral counsel what some are calling a hateful message "that can lead some kids to bully and others to commit suicide." Contrary to what some have written in provocative press releases, nothing in President Packer's talk says that "violence and/or discrimination against LGBT people is acceptable."
    I think a more conciliatory approach would have been far more effective. This will be seen as denial.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Long editorial in today's DesNews regarding the BKP talk and aftermath:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ress.html?pg=1

Highlights the church's outstanding track-record on gays and gay rights:

Paints the church as the victim:

Expresses shock that anyone could find something offensive in the talk (ironically, no mention of the edits):

I think a more conciliatory approach would have been far more effective. This will be seen as denial.
    Because this is nothing more than a denial.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I'll just note that once again homosexuals are never referenced, but only those "who have same-gender attraction," the same way you would reference someone who has cancer. This editorial is a denial not only of the church's actions but also of the existence of people who are homosexual.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
        I'll just note that once again homosexuals are never referenced, but only those "who have same-gender attraction," the same way you would reference someone who has cancer. This editorial is a denial not only of the church's actions but also of the existence of people who are homosexual.
        Unfortunately anything official coming from the church refers to homosexuals as "those suffering from same gender attraction." It has been this way for nearly a decade.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Since when did the Des News become the LDS Church's Pravda? I've not seen it so explicitly be a mouthpiece of the LDS Church before. I'm cancelling my subscription!
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Perhaps because "homosexual" is often derogatory. They were referenced as gay and lesbian and LGBT, or did I miss something?
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
              Unfortunately anything official coming from the church refers to homosexuals as "those suffering from same gender attraction." It has been this way for nearly a decade.
              And why not when so many people suffer from a Y chromosome deficit or melanodermatitis or even both. Let's all hope this conditions can some day be cured.

Comment

Lol another huge reach. No where do they say it is comparable to cancer.

Comment

nothing in President Packer's talk says that "violence and/or discrimination against LGBT people is acceptable."

That is what they say about the talk in your last quote, and it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                    Nor did I.

Comment

"the same way you would reference someone who has cancer"

That is called comparing.

Comment

Have you ever heard a church leader use the word "homosexual" or "gay"? And have you ever heard someone from the gay community use the term "same gender attraction"? Is this a coincidence?
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

"the same way you would reference someone who has cancer"

That is called comparing.
                          Sorry, but your reading comprehension sucks. I am critiquing a consistent grammatical construction that the church uses for the purpose of denying the existence of homosexuals.

Comment

Sorry, but your reading comprehension sucks. I am critiquing a consistent grammatical construction that the church uses for the purpose of denying the existence of homosexuals.
                            And you say the way they talk about it is like they think of it as cancer.

We are not Iran. You really think the leadership of the church denies that there are homosexuals?

Comment

And you say the way they talk about it is like they think of it as cancer.

We are not Iran. You really think the leadership of the church denies that there are homosexuals?
                              No, I didn't. Seriously, you can't read.

Comment

Working...
                              X