Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51

Thread: To replace or not replace a garage door

  1. #1
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,401

    Default To replace or not replace a garage door

    I have a great old garage door. It is in good condition, though it needs a new paint job (around $250 or so to have it professionally done). The springs broke. The garage is so old (30 years old) that the old springs track was custom done. So, putting in standard springs does not work.

    I have been quoted to just replace the springs in this garage for $500. Another quote was for $600 and another quote would not do it because they didn't have the parts. The warranty on the new springs is typical in the industry to do it.

    The other option is to replace the door and put in new tracks and do everything new for around $1,000.

    I really like the old wood door...so to put in new springs and to paint it will run me around $800. To get a brand new aluminum/fiberglass door will cost around $1,000. I want to go with the wood door, my wife is leaning towards the new everything. What does the wise CUF board say and why do you say it?

  2. #2

    Default

    Go with the new one. You don't want to have to deal with this down the road when it happens again.

  3. #3
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    if your old door is so awesome, please post a pic to help us decide. Unless you are actually ashamed of it.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  4. #4
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    if your old door is so awesome, please post a pic to help us decide. Unless you are actually ashamed of it.

    I said it was 'great', not 'awesome.' C'mon DDD!!!!

    I guess it is mainly 'great' because it is wood and that is cool. It is unique. I also hate to trash the old door when it is still fine. It is also cheaper to go this route, so I don't see where I lose...but I just wanted to get others' opinions.

  5. #5
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    27,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    I said it was 'great', not 'awesome.' C'mon DDD!!!!

    I guess it is mainly 'great' because it is wood and that is cool. It is unique. I also hate to trash the old door when it is still fine. It is also cheaper to go this route, so I don't see where I lose...but I just wanted to get others' opinions.
    Speaking on behalf of 71, keep the old one around awhile longer.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  6. #6
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    I said it was 'great', not 'awesome.' C'mon DDD!!!!

    I guess it is mainly 'great' because it is wood and that is cool. It is unique. I also hate to trash the old door when it is still fine. It is also cheaper to go this route, so I don't see where I lose...but I just wanted to get others' opinions.
    ok, I'm sorry.

    One cool idea would be to replace the entire thing with a drawbridge-style garage door. Nobody has those and you have enough panache to pull it off, esp if you wound up buying that old Chevy Bronco that you were talking about last year.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  7. #7
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    ok, I'm sorry.

    One cool idea would be to replace the entire thing with a drawbridge-style garage door. Nobody has those and you have enough panache to pull it off, esp if you wound up buying that old Chevy Bronco that you were talking about last year.
    Chevy Bronco? How about a Pontiac Mustang, or a Mercury Camaro?

    Sheesh, kids now days . . .
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  8. #8
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    ok, I'm sorry.

    One cool idea would be to replace the entire thing with a drawbridge-style garage door. Nobody has those and you have enough panache to pull it off, esp if you wound up buying that old Chevy Bronco that you were talking about last year.

    I do have the panache to pull off a draw bridge. That would be totally awesome.

    Chevy Bronco? Blood just oozed out of my ears. Chevy Blazer owners hate Ford Broncos. And Ford Bronco owners hate Chevy Blazers. Its like you just said The University of Utah Cougars. Very disturbing.

  9. #9
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    The only advice I can offer is - and I realize that this kind of thinking outside the box is something difficult to do - but if your garage door isn't working, either repair it or fix it.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  10. #10

    Default

    I too have an old garage with its original, wood door. I'll have to repaint it soon also(should do it before winter, but that's not happening). Is your's a sectional roller, or an up and over? I don't care much for the up and over type that would be worth replacing it.

    Here are some other things I would consider:

    Would a new door look strange with the architecture of a garage?
    Can you match the existing door at little to no extra cost?
    How long do you expect the new paint job to last? Less than 5-7 years would not be worth the cost of a professional paint job. Depending on the exposure and the eaves above the door a paint job should last 8-10 years, imo.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    if your old door is so awesome, please post a pic to help us decide. Unless you are actually ashamed of it.
    Agree.


  12. #12
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    I too have an old garage with its original, wood door. I'll have to repaint it soon also(should do it before winter, but that's not happening). Is your's a sectional roller, or an up and over? I don't care much for the up and over type that would be worth replacing it.

    Here are some other things I would consider:

    Would a new door look strange with the architecture of a garage?
    Can you match the existing door at little to no extra cost?
    How long do you expect the new paint job to last? Less than 5-7 years would not be worth the cost of a professional paint job. Depending on the exposure and the eaves above the door a paint job should last 8-10 years, imo.

    It is a sectional garage door...and I want to get it painted before winter rolls in as well. The painting company told me that the paint job should last 5+ years at least depending on how much water/snow/wind hits it every year.

    And to DDD/YOhio, no pics are coming your way. You guys are just being unnecessarily nosey - just know that it is a great door! Probably better than yours. Sorry, just being honest.

  13. #13

    Default

    If it's a great door and has reasonable life left in it then keep it.

  14. #14
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    27,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    If it's a great door and has reasonable life left in it then keep it.
    Also, if this matters to you, I'd guess that the money spent on a door repair will stay in your local economy in a larger amount than if you buy a new one.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  15. #15
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    Food for thought: as long as the new door is insulated, you will see a huge improvement in energy efficiency if you have a fridge or freezer or heat and/ or cool your garage during the seasons.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    It is a sectional garage door...and I want to get it painted before winter rolls in as well. The painting company told me that the paint job should last 5+ years at least depending on how much water/snow/wind hits it every year.

    And to DDD/YOhio, no pics are coming your way. You guys are just being unnecessarily nosey - just know that it is a great door! Probably better than yours. Sorry, just being honest.
    I'm assuming the garage is attached to the house, correct? If it is then I'd definitely keep it, if it is then consider fn's words.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

  17. #17
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Food for thought: as long as the new door is insulated, you will see a huge improvement in energy efficiency if you have a fridge or freezer or heat and/ or cool your garage during the seasons.

    You are probably right, though our current door does have a decent R-value. Not quite as good as the newer aluminum doors with insulation, but not bad.


    Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    I'm assuming the garage is attached to the house, correct? If it is then I'd definitely keep it, if it is then consider fn's words.
    And yes, the garage is attached to my house. I just think the wood adds some character to it all.

  18. #18
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    are we still talking about UteStar's garage door?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  19. #19

    Default

    It might be infested with termites and that's why it's not working. Have you thought of that?

  20. #20
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    are we still talking about UteStar's garage door?

    As usual, the topics that I begin are appreciated and well, loved. People want to help me. I appreciate that. You take a UteStar post and then mix it in with an interesting topic like wood garage doors and you get magic. CUFfers like magic and want to participate. You did your best to destroy this thread with your 'Chevy Bronco' comment...but that failed.


    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    It might be infested with termites and that's why it's not working. Have you thought of that?
    Even if the door is infested with termites (WHICH IT MOST CERTAINLY IS NOT) that would not have broken the springs. Goodness gracious YOhio!

  21. #21

    Default

    How heavy is the wood door? Do you have small children?

    Newer aluminum doors are typically lighter and safer.

    Plus, you could sell your old door on antique roadshow for big bucks.

  22. #22
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    27,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    How heavy is the wood door? Do you have small children?

    Newer aluminum doors are typically lighter and safer.

    Plus, you could sell your old door on antique roadshow for big bucks.
    I think you helped me install my router once.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I think you helped me install my router once.
    Router don't do as well as garage doors on antique roadshow.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Plus, you could sell your old door on antique roadshow for big bucks.
    Unless it has termites. Nobody would buy it then. But assuming it doesn't, how would he take a garage door on the show? I bet the transport cost alone wouldn't be worth it. Bad idea all around, Walter.

  25. #25
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Unless it has termites. Nobody would buy it then. But assuming it doesn't, how would he take a garage door on the show? I bet the transport cost alone wouldn't be worth it. Bad idea all around, Walter.
    Walter? I thought it was Wallace. WHo the heck is Walter?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  26. #26
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,401

    Default

    I know that people were dying for an update. I decided to part ways with my old wooden door friend. For now, I had a tasteful though generic door installed. In a few years, I will either be installing a copper/iron/gold door. It will be spectacular. Thanks for all of your insights (besides the continually crappy input from YO and DDD).

  27. #27
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    I know that people were dying for an update. I decided to part ways with my old wooden door friend. For now, I had a tasteful though generic door installed. In a few years, I will either be installing a copper/iron/gold door. It will be spectacular. Thanks for all of your insights (besides the continually crappy input from YO and DDD).
    Generic? I thought you chose a beautiful door. The pastoral scene on the door is demonstrative of the serene spirit found within the home.

    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  28. #28
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
    I know that people were dying for an update. I decided to part ways with my old wooden door friend. For now, I had a tasteful though generic door installed. In a few years, I will either be installing a copper/iron/gold door. It will be spectacular. Thanks for all of your insights (besides the continually crappy input from YO and DDD).
    I installed my new garage door right before Christmas. A double-sided, insulated, heavy gauge aluminum door. We love it and it is amazing how well it keeps the cold out.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  29. #29
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    I installed my new garage door right before Christmas. A double-sided, insulated, heavy gauge aluminum door. We love it and it is amazing how well it keeps the cold out.

    I have been amazed by that as well. It is keeping our garage at least 30% warmer than it did with our wood door. Though still chilly in the morning, it is very tolerable compared to what it was with our old door.

    I am happy to answer any of your questions as to what it was like for me to choose to get a new garage door. I know that this is a valuable thread for most of you.

  30. #30
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Today sacrament was ESP spiritual. The talks were nothing special, but we sang several hymns. We closed with one of my faves, The Spirit of God. As is sometimes the case, by the fourth verse, the entire congregation was singing at full fervor, almost belting out the lyrics in a way that would have made WW Phelps proud. I was overcome by the spectacle of the music and the joy in my heart. A small tear rolled down my eye. My wife, equally emotional, grabbed my hand and we shared a knowing glance with each other and instantly could read others minds: "UteStar has found his new garage door."

    Indeed, the Spirit of God like a fire was burning. Amen and amen.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •