No announcement yet.

Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers asking for a volunteer to give the closing prayer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I should clarify: People who stand on the moving sidewalk and block the way so that you can't walk past them. Lazy ass X 2!
      I'll give you that. I think there was a line from Seinfeld where he says, "It's not a ride."
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• People who don't clean up after their dogs. A literal pet peeve (Ha!).

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          People who don't clean up after their dogs. A literal pet peeve (Ha!).
          I like to sit on my patio late at night and watch the comings and goings. I especially like to to watch the people taking their dogs out and guessing whether they'll clean up after. They usually clean up if there is day light, but after the sun goes down, they usually just look around to see if they're being observed and then hurry away.
          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• I was at the Freedom Festival with the family on the 4th of July. Mrs D. had the older two kids and was off doing rides and games with them. I was sitting in the shade people watching and holding my toddler while she slept. A hipster douche in a striped tank top, pink khaki shorts, neon wayfarer sunglasses, and a flat-brimmed cap was walking a little teeny dog. The dog wandered off the sidewalk, squatted, and dropped an oozy green steamer while the kid was busy talking to his friends. He looked up just in time to see the dog finishing and yelled "Olive, no!" He grabbed the dog, looked up to see if anyone was looking, and started to walk away while simultaneously noticing that I was watching him. Keep in mind, this is a park with literally thousands of people walking around.

He then gave me a guilty glance, looked around once more, and walked off to join his friends again. If I hadn't been holding a sleeping toddler, I swear on all that is holy I would have grabbed a bag, scooped up the poop, walked up behind him and smeared it on his Target tank top.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Teachers asking for a volunteer to give the closing prayer.
              I'd drive you up the wall, PAC. That's the only way I do it now, after having made the mistake of calling on someone to pray who, unbeknownst to me, had had disciplinary action taken against them. It was, as the kids say, "awkward."

Of course I may go back to the old system if we ever decide to make it a point for people to announce their transgressions from the pulpit like they did in the good old days.
              Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
              --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                I'd drive you up the wall, PAC. That's the only way I do it now, after having made the mistake of calling on someone to pray who, unbeknownst to me, had had disciplinary action taken against them. It was, as the kids say, "awkward."

Of course I may go back to the old system if we ever decide to make it a point for people to announce their transgressions from the pulpit like they did in the good old days.
                Just ask the missionaries.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post

Harry, even with that irritation, I'd really like to hear one of your lessons.

And the disciplinary action thing can be a problem, but while I was teaching I asked the bish if there were anyone he would recommend I not call on for prayers, and then every few months I'd tell the class I wouldn't call on anyone they told me offline that they'd prefer not to. I like lessons that end with a strong finish, followed immediately by a prayer by someone who's had a chance to think about what she/he is going to say. Instead, the class goes from (one hopes) a good, spiritual finish to everyone feeling on the spot, then after a brief uncomfortable silence two or more people chime in at one and the teacher referees a prayer jump ball.
                  `
                  Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

And the disciplinary action thing can be a problem, but while I was teaching I asked the bish if there were anyone he would recommend I not call on for prayers, and then every few months I'd tell the class I wouldn't call on anyone they told me offline that they'd prefer not to. I like lessons that end with a strong finish, followed immediately by a prayer by someone who's had a chance to think about what she/he is going to say. Instead, the class goes from (one hopes) a good, spiritual finish to everyone feeling on the spot, then after a brief uncomfortable silence two or more people chime in at one and the teacher referees a prayer jump ball.
                    `
                    I wish I was in your ward. I wouldn't volunteer to pray, but I'd still enjoy it.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

`
                      Thanks for the tip and the kind words, PAC. They're unjustified but I'll take them.

A "prayer jump ball." Heh. "What oft was thought / but ne'er so well exprest."
                      Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                      --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

• I submit the following for pet peeve review: Someone at work asking to use your badge so that they can go use the bathroom (after forgetting theirs). Fair or foul?
                        "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                          I submit the following for pet peeve review: Someone at work asking to use your badge so that they can go use the bathroom (after forgetting theirs). Fair or foul?
                          If it's a first offense (and if I like the person), I don't have a problem with it. If it happens multiple times, I'd have them call me to let them back in.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

I submit the following for pet peeve review: Someone at work asking to use your badge so that they can go use the bathroom (after forgetting theirs). Fair or foul?
                            You have bathroom passes at work?
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

No temp badges available from admin?

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                You have bathroom passes at work?
                                No, but our cubes are in a secure area, so you'd need a badge to get back in.
                                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Working...
                                X