Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1267

Thread: Pet Peeves

When people pronounce the word "versus" as "verse".
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    When people turn the preposition versus into the (totally made up) verb verse or versing.

Like "we are going to verse each other" or "today we are versing our rival school."

WTH?

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

When they pronounce it as "V" as in Roe v. Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    When people turn the preposition versus into the (totally made up) verb verse or versing.

Like "we are going to verse each other" or "today we are versing our rival school."

WTH?
    *teenagers

i've never heard anybody over the age of 19 say this. but yes, it is dumb.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    When they pronounce it as "V" as in Roe v. Wade.
    That's okay in legal contexts. In fact, that is the default/norm.

Now, it is not okay in sports contexts. Mayweather vee Pacquiao.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

WTH?
    YES

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Haha. You guys are easily triggered. Now bury your face in your phone at the stop light and make me miss the light and I'm in a high state of peeviocity!

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    *teenagers

i've never heard anybody over the age of 19 say this. but yes, it is dumb.
    Dont think I've heard that from anyone over or under 19. Maybe I have heard it but just dismissed it as teenage babble.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Dont think I've heard that from anyone over or under 19. Maybe I have heard it but just dismissed it as teenage babble.
    probably.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

That's okay in legal contexts. In fact, that is the default/norm.

Now, it is not okay in sports contexts. Mayweather vee Pacquiao.
    Or Batman v. Superman, for that matter! I was expecting a scintillating courtroom drama a la Crichton adaptation!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Or Batman v. Superman, for that matter! I was expecting a scintillating courtroom drama a la Crichton adaptation!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Now bury your face in your phone at the stop light and make me miss the light and I'm in a high state of peeviocity!
    Like the blonde in the SUV that can't turn left on a green yield? I swear if I have to spend another turn of the light watching you hesitate with the nearest oncoming car half a block away......

Today's pet peeve is co-workers that use the non-existent word "expresso" to refer to a common caffeinated beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Today's pet peeve is co-workers that use the non-existent word "expresso" to refer to a common caffeinated beverage.
    So called because it's so small that you drink it FAST!

People who qualify their opinions by saying "maybe I'm bias."

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Ppreciate you.

When people say that I take everything they say with a grain assault.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I nearly refused to buy this house because the listing was under the heading
    “PRICE TO SELL!”
    That’s both grammatically incorrect and counterfactual—it was overpriced by at least 150.

“PRICE TO SELL!”
    That’s both grammatically incorrect and counterfactual—it was overpriced by at least 150.
    Maybe they were inviting you to set a price for them. Did you at least talk them down a little?

“PRICE TO SELL!”
    Uh, did you buy the house?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Maybe they were inviting you to set a price for them. Did you at least talk them down a little?
    They were just greedy bastards drunk on all the rhetoric about the Austin market. Their first week on the market I made an offer of list price minus 130 and told them they wouldn’t get a better offer. Ninety days later, without ANY other offer in one of the hottest areas in town, they realized they’d royally effed up, accepted my original offer, and covered all closing costs and repairs.

The best part for me is it’s the perfect floor plan for my son & his wheelchair. Plus it’s adorable.

They were just greedy bastards drunk on all the rhetoric about the Austin market. Their first week on the market I made an offer of list price minus 130 and told them they wouldn’t get a better offer. Ninety days later, without ANY other offer in one of the hottest areas in town, they realized they’d royally effed up, accepted my original offer, and covered all closing costs and repairs.

The best part for me is it’s the perfect floor plan for my son & his wheelchair. Plus it’s adorable.
    you sent them an offer that was capable of being accepted 90 days later? yikes!
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    you sent them an offer that was capable of being accepted 90 days later? yikes!
    No, darling. They called 3 months later and asked if I was still interested. We resubmitted the original offer price after revising the other terms in my favor.

No, darling. They called 3 months later and asked if I was still interested. We resubmitted the original offer price after revising the other terms in my favor.
    Be sure to get those doors widened. It'll be worth every penny over the next decade or so.

Also - If you need a wheel in zero barrier shower, I've got a wholesale account in The City of Industry and could get one dropped shipped to you. You'd have to get your own installer, but I think it's be around $1800... just guessing.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 10-28-2018 at 10:41 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Way to go babs.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

good job, mother!
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

When people think "Zombie" is a Halloween song
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

This has bugged me for a long time but nobody sympathizes with me, nor does anyone understand it, I think. I hate when somebody from Hawaii visits me and we are out and about, and get into a situation where we need to make small talk with a new acquaintance, or just talking with strangers. They don't take the time to inquire about the other person, or find some commonality to chat about. No, they just drop the Hawaii bomb. Boom - "I'm visiting from Hawaii." Then they sit back and wait for accolades or for the other person to start simpering: "Oh Hawaii! I LOVE that place! I went on my honeymoon there / You are so lucky! / We are planning to go next month!!! Lazy conversationalists, and they are trying to leverage proximity with a geographic place to increase their own stature in the conversation. I dont think anyone should mention that they are from Hawaii until at least the 2nd or third conversation.

I should note that Salt Lake City has the same effect in reverse. When people ask where you're from and you answer SLC, and then you cringe wait for all the religious questions, where you're a MOTCJCLDS or not. Same for BYU grads.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    This has bugged me for a long time but nobody sympathizes with me, nor does anyone understand it, I think. I hate when somebody from Hawaii visits me and we are out and about, and get into a situation where we need to make small talk with a new acquaintance, or just talking with strangers. They don't take the time to inquire about the other person, or find some commonality to chat about. No, they just drop the Hawaii bomb. Boom - "I'm visiting from Hawaii." Then they sit back and wait for accolades or for the other person to start simpering: "Oh Hawaii! I LOVE that place! I went on my honeymoon there / You are so lucky! / We are planning to go next month!!! Lazy conversationalists, and they are trying to leverage proximity with a geographic place to increase their own stature in the conversation. I dont think anyone should mention that they are from Hawaii until at least the 2nd or third conversation.

I should note that Salt Lake City has the same effect in reverse. When people ask where you're from and you answer SLC, and then you cringe wait for all the religious questions, where you're a MOTCJCLDS or not. Same for BYU grads.
    BYU grads worry about being asked if they are Mormon?
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post

I think some of my fellow 208'ers are guilty of this as well. I'm like: you're already winning at life, no need to spike the football!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71