No announcement yet.

The Dog Lover Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really want a dog and plan on buying on in the next few months. Have had my eye on the english golden. We grew up with a golden/lab mix. I am trying to look at other ideas as well. Do not have a yard right now, so I am looking for an inside dog, and I will get one that is already trained, at least potty trained.

Are ksl classifieds the best way to find dogs, or are these puppy placces around utah pretty good?
    Last edited by Maximus; 12-13-2016, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
      I really want a dog and plan on buying on in the next few months. Have had my eye on the english golden. We grew up with a golden/lab mix. I am trying to look at other ideas as well. Do not have a yard right now, so I am looking for an inside dog, and I will get one that is already trained, at least potty trained.

Are ksl classifieds the best way to find dogs, or are these puppy placces around utah pretty good?
      You're back in Utah? I thought you were in Buffalo.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
        You're back in Utah? I thought you were in Buffalo.
        Trajectory:

Grad school in Raleigh -> Buffalo -> Chicago -> Buffalo -> Raleigh -> Utah.

All within....2.5 years

Comment

• Sheesh.

Welcome home.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• That applehead is adorable, and good news- they live like, 20 years.

Comment

• Just about the time I start thinking the dog isn't that bad, she goes out and samples some cat poop in the rain.

Disgusting.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                It's been a little over a year since everyone in the NWC household (except me) went puppy crazy. We got our first dog 9 years ago, when she was about 10 months old. At the time, we thought it was the best of both worlds; she was still puppy-ish, and we didn't have to go through all the hassle of having a real puppy. But Mrs. NWC wanted to give the kids the experience of having a puppy. I know, crazy.

Our first dog, Star, really has been about as good as we could have hoped for. She's pretty mellow, and content to do her own thing most of the time. She's been a great trail dog too. So when my wife started looking for a new dog, it was natural to think that another Wheaton Terrier would be like Star, right? We put in our order for the same breeder that we got Star from. The two dogs would even be kind of related. We thought we had planned pretty well. We would have two low maintenance dogs who would be content lying next to each other and not make much of a mess. I think we had the same flawed thinking that most of us have when we decide to have a second kid...

I have to admit, he was a very cute puppy. Our youngest had naming rights. We suggested staying with the celestial bodies theme, so she picked Apollo:
                [ATTACH]6955[/ATTACH]

It didn't take long for Star to realize her days of being Queen were numbered. It was interesting, and sad, to see her change emotionally. She really didn't know what to do. Apollo adored Star, but the feeling wasn't mutual. Star has accepted him and tolerates him. Although they have gotten closer, I think most days Star would have preferred living out her days as an only child.

Apollo learned the ropes from Star:
                [ATTACH]6957[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH]6959[/ATTACH]

But then it was very interesting how much he quickly he diverged from Star. Again, we were expecting to have a 'Star Jr.' with him. Star gives us little drama, she rarely barks, and pretty much keeps to her own. Apollo? Pretty much the opposite of everything I just said.

Very early on he quickly attached to us. He always wants to be near us, which is endearing. But then again, he ALWAYS has to be near us. We were just not used to that. And, he barks. Not a lot, but enough to now get Star barking more than she ever did

But even though he is a pain in the ass, he is a very sweet dog. The kids love him, I love him (begrudgingly). He is now a little older than when Star was when we got her. He's lost his cute puppy fur, and looks a lot like Star. He's even bigger than her. And Star has learned to accept his intrusion into her life.
                [ATTACH]6963[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH]6962[/ATTACH]
                If we ever decide to let our kids have an inside dog to go along with our bird dogs that are always outside, I decided long ago I want a Wheaten Terrier. That said, your younger dog is giving me second thoughts.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Champ was in the dog house last night. Took him for his 2am potty break (Dude cannot hold it yet as a puppy), and then decided it was time to get up. He whined and growled the best a little pup can do. Tried everything to get him to stop, but come 4:30am, I just took his cage and placed him in the guest room and shut the door..

Now I am drowsy at work and it is going to be a long day with a wrestling meet and Reed has scouts tonight where he is teaching.

Little fetcher!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• This weekend the local rescue shelters offered free adoptions. Saturday night we brought home the newest member of our family. A fox wired terrier mix. Last night I attempted to put him in his kennel at bedtime. 8 stitches later I’m no longer a dog lover.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• We need a "Not so fond of dogs" thread.
                      Last edited by myboynoah; 11-28-2017, 07:41 PM.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                        This weekend the local rescue shelters offered free adoptions. Saturday night we brought home the newest member of our family. A fox wired terrier mix. Last night I attempted to put him in his kennel at bedtime. 8 stitches later I’m no longer a dog lover.
                        Yikes! How did that little loveable dog do so much damage?
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• If they didn't:

pee
                          poo
                          shed
                          grow nails that need to be clipped and require other regular grooming
                          require shots and regular vet care
                          require care when you're on vacation

then dogs would make awesome pets!

Comment

• We've acquired a second dog - my daughter adopted a female beagle/cocker mix, named Ruby. She didn't adapt to her apartment, to noisy - she is now defacto ours. Otis (our first dog) is not quite sure what to make of her. It kind of cute watching them - kind of like a older brother who doesn't want anything to do with a little sister and the little sister just wanting to be with the big brother

Also she has not quite got the idea when I take her for a walk, we are going for a WALK not an explore the neighborhood stroll. It takes her about a mile or so to settle in to the routine.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Our second dog who was with us for the past 15 years developed a tumour causing internal bleeding and had to be put down in early October. After a lot of pleading from my children, we have a new dog. Meet Mandi—a rescue from Manitoba. She's a mut. We know her mother was some sort of chocolate lab mix, and the father is likely an English Shepard or ... :

Last edited by tooblue; 11-29-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• Cute puppy. Those eyes are really striking.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X