sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      This thread makes me itch.
      Need some peanut butter?
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

I like dogs, but not enough to have one around full time. It's such a bother if you want to leave for a weekend trip and a bigger bother when you go on vacation for a week or two.

My son just got a Border Collie that is about three months old. He's stopped in for two weekends since he got the dog, but the dog is fine staying outside, at least this time of year. Other than the long hair when they get older, a Border Collie might just be one of the best dogs around. They're very smart, but don't get into things quite like a Jack Russell would and they don't run off, they stick around protecting your property. And they love to play fetch. Even as a puppy, his dog will chase frisbees, sticks or balls and bring them right back and drop them at your feet, over and over and over. Most dogs never learn how to do that.

We had a Chihuahua - Lhasa Apso mix for quite a few years that looked like pure Chihuahua except she weighed about seven pounds instead of the typical four. She was a very loving dog, but barked a bit too much and shed hair as wall. She liked everybody within a few seconds of meeting them, but she also barked at everybody as they were coming towards our house, including all of us. Unfortunately when she was about ten years old she got too close to a St. Bernard and was killed right in front of my grandchildren. I don't know why people want big dogs like that.

When I was a kid we had a Cocker Spaniel that was a better dog than most of that breed seem to be, then an English Springer Spaniel that was also a good dog. He was much more obedient before I left on my mission than when I got back, though.

If I ever get to the point where I can't travel I'll consider another dog. Something under 50 pounds, but I'm not set on any one breed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
          I like dogs, but not enough to have one around full time. It's such a bother if you want to leave for a weekend trip and a bigger bother when you go on vacation for a week or two.

My son just got a Border Collie that is about three months old. He's stopped in for two weekends since he got the dog, but the dog is fine staying outside, at least this time of year. Other than the long hair when they get older, a Border Collie might just be one of the best dogs around. They're very smart, but don't get into things quite like a Jack Russell would and they don't run off, they stick around protecting your property. And they love to play fetch. Even as a puppy, his dog will chase frisbees, sticks or balls and bring them right back and drop them at your feet, over and over and over. Most dogs never learn how to do that.

We had a Chihuahua - Lhasa Apso mix for quite a few years that looked like pure Chihuahua except she weighed about seven pounds instead of the typical four. She was a very loving dog, but barked a bit too much and shed hair as wall. She liked everybody within a few seconds of meeting them, but she also barked at everybody as they were coming towards our house, including all of us. Unfortunately when she was about ten years old she got too close to a St. Bernard and was killed right in front of my grandchildren. I don't know why people want big dogs like that.

When I was a kid we had a Cocker Spaniel that was a better dog than most of that breed seem to be, then an English Springer Spaniel that was also a good dog. He was much more obedient before I left on my mission than when I got back, though.

If I ever get to the point where I can't travel I'll consider another dog. Something under 50 pounds, but I'm not set on any one breed.
          Border collies are a lot like Australian Shepherds - smart working dogs, very protective of their homes, around 50 lbs. Our Aussie won't leave our property unless we invite her to. We could leave the gate open all day and she would not leave.

You're right, dogs require some time. I'm not sure we'll get another one after our current youngster is gone. (When I say that to my wife, she laughs. She knows I'm a sucker for a smart, loyal dog.)
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

This is kind of interesting:

Inside the science of how dogs think
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
              My walking companion - Otis the dog
              Sometimes I'm really not sure who is walking who

We have the same dog but ours is a girl.
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I grew up under the watchful eye of our beloved Samoyed who has long since passed away. Don't have a pic of her, but here's the idea:

The perfect dog for growing up in semi-rural Idaho, where the dogs stay outside year round and love it. This dog loved to roam around at night and hunt mice, porcupine, and all manner of varmint in the summer, and play with us in the snow in the winter.

Oh, and Samoyed pups are so cute you almost sprout ovaries playing with them.

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Oh, and Samoyed pups are so cute you almost sprout ovaries playing with them.
                  I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                    We have the same dog but ours is a girl.
                    About six months or so ago, someone stopped my during my walk and started asking me about Otis; how old he was, what breed, etc, It turns out he had a female white miniture schnauzer that was about 2 yrs old and wanted to know if I would consent to having Otis father some puppies. I had to respectfully decline, mainly because Otis is an it

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ute View Post
                      I didn't even recognize the guy in your avatar.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                        Border collies are a lot like Australian Shepherds - smart working dogs, very protective of their homes, around 50 lbs. Our Aussie won't leave our property unless we invite her to. We could leave the gate open all day and she would not leave.

You're right, dogs require some time. I'm not sure we'll get another one after our current youngster is gone. (When I say that to my wife, she laughs. She knows I'm a sucker for a smart, loyal dog.)
                        I grew up with an Australian Shepard. It was a great working dog (cattle). He almost never left the property either (twice he ran away to our property 4 miles away to visit a dog in heat). Good natured dog. My friends loved the two different colored eyes.

My wife wants a dog like crazy right now. It just seems like too much work and too much responsibility for me right now. She says I won't have to worry about it cause she'll handle it all... I don't believe it.

Comment

Dogs are stinky.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Our new(ish) dog. We're going out to see if we can't scare up a few birds this morning.

There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                            Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                            And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                              Our new(ish) dog. We're going out to see if we can't scare up a few birds this morning.

English Setter?
                              I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                                English Setter?
                                Springer.
                                There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                                Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                                And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Working...
                                X