Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Dog Lover Thread

entering a sad stage of life for my 13 yo shorthair. has arthritis and is in constant pain and he never wants to go outside (he's an outside dog) so he just stays in his kennel in the house 24/7. his advanced age and arthritis doesn't allow him to hunt with me anymore - this will be the third season he hasn't been able to go out.

i've decided that in a few weeks i'm going to take him to a pheasant farm where he can find some birds, but doesn't have to go very far, sorta one last go of it and then will probably have him put down at some point this winter. he could probably live like this for another couple years, but he has no life. he was born to hunt, it's literally what he lives for and without that i'm not sure it's worth keeping him around - for me or him. effing sucks.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

are you sure he wouldn't want to stay around the family in his final days? Put his kennel in the family room.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    entering a sad stage of life for my 13 yo shorthair. has arthritis and is in constant pain and he never wants to go outside (he's an outside dog) so he just stays in his kennel in the house 24/7. his advanced age and arthritis doesn't allow him to hunt with me anymore - this will be the third season he hasn't been able to go out.

i've decided that in a few weeks i'm going to take him to a pheasant farm where he can find some birds, but doesn't have to go very far, sorta one last go of it and then will probably have him put down at some point this winter. he could probably live like this for another couple years, but he has no life. he was born to hunt, it's literally what he lives for and without that i'm not sure it's worth keeping him around - for me or him. effing sucks.

Sorry to hear that, SMR. Those are some of the worst decisions to make.

Be careful. I can see your wife using this same logic with regard to you when you get a little gimpy in old age. "He can't even hunt anymore! I'm not sure its worth keeping him around - for me or him."
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Be careful. I can see your wife using this same logic with regard to you when you get a little gimpy in old age. "He can't even hunt anymore! I'm not sure its worth keeping him around - for me or him."
    When that time comes, i might rather be put down.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

When that time comes, i might rather be put down.
    Its going to come. Maybe you should just go with the dog now?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I'm not a dog lover, but I empathize with you, smr. The rest of my Diddley clan loves dogs and lost their beloved Kujo chihuahua a couple years back.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Its going to come. Maybe you should just go with the dog now?
    no, you dumb jerk. we're embarking on the best time of year - hunting season, mlb playoffs, nba, nfl, cold weather, etc. get back to me in about may. i might take you up on that.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Good therapy for us. Good therapy for the dogs:

32064FE2-1EBD-4003-8CC7-063FC05D3BD0.jpg