Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We took the dogs out to Clear Lake, just in time to catch the fall colors:
    fullsizeoutput_6d4.jpg
    We didn't realize the trail around the lake was 5 miles. The dogs are tired, but Star especially so. I gave her a vet-profen for her legs, and now she is out cold. What a trooper.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Posted this in the photography thread—Mandi is a year old and she is finally starting to fill out a little:

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
        Otis, out mini schnauzer, is really showing his age. He is between 12-13 and is having back problems that are causing him a lot of pain. We've had him to the Vets 3 times in the last year for that. This last time was this past week. The vet prescribed a steroid, a muscle relaxant and some pain med each time.
        just read this. sounds identical to our GSP. He is almost 12 and is always in a lot of pain, has arthritis, we too have taken him in 3 or 4 times and they are giving him similar pills. he has a hard time even just sitting still due to the pain. just not a lot that can be done. outside of the pain and discomfort however, for an old dog, while he can't go as long as he once could (i've had to retire him from hunting), he still has plenty of energy for runs (not sure he even knows how to walk) around the neighborhood. part of me wants to put him down, but just can't do it with how healthy he seems at times.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          just read this. sounds identical to our GSP. He is almost 12 and is always in a lot of pain, has arthritis, we too have taken him in 3 or 4 times and they are giving him similar pills. he has a hard time even just sitting still due to the pain. just not a lot that can be done. outside of the pain and discomfort however, for an old dog, while he can't go as long as he once could (i've had to retire him from hunting), he still has plenty of energy for runs (not sure he even knows how to walk) around the neighborhood. part of me wants to put him down, but just can't do it with how healthy he seems at times.
          Otis is doing better, just about finished with this round of meds.

I've really noticed him slowing down for the past year. He used to be out in front on our walks (I'm still walking 4-6 miles a day) and now he lags behind almost as if saying "Do we have to go so fast?" He doesn't stop or complain though. And heaven forbid if I don't get out on schedule. He has the best guilt inducing eyes

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• https://www.statesman.com/news/20181...-beer-for-dogs

Comment

• Within weeks of their launch, all three flavors of their beer — IPA Lot in the Yard, Mailman Malt Licker and Session.squirrel! — are available in 15 bars throughout the city, including Front Porch Pub and FM Kitchen and Bar, for a recommended price of about $5 a can.
              You may be a good boy, but you're still just getting water.
              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                You may be a good boy, but you're still just getting water.
                But it's not even against the Word of Wisdom.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• People all over are ridiculous about anthropomorphizing dogs.
                  <Nodding and laughing nervously>

The thing that I've been dreading for the last couple of years happened all too quickly this past week. For the last few months, we've noticed Star acting a little weird. Every once in a while she would struggle to get up, and just stay in bed all day. One time we were scared enough to bring her to the after-hours vet. An x-ray, lab work, and a few hundred dollars later, nothing seemed abnormal. We just ascribed it to painful joints, and sure enough the next day she was better. She had a few other days like that, but since she seemed to get better with NSAID we thought it all joint-related. She was, after all, a 12-year old dog chasing squirrels and running around with Apollo all the time. She was just overdoing it we reasoned. This also explained the slight tripping that happened on most walks. And the times where she would just stare blankly at the wall for a minute, we had read that dogs can also struggle with senility. We knew she was on the tail end of her existence, but since she was her old self most of the time, we felt no immediate concern.

Last Monday night she was slowing down again, just like all the other times. We gave her NSAID and expected her to be better in the morning. I gave her another one in the morning and noticed that she was really slow, and favoring her right side more than before. I reasoned again, nothing serious, she just overdid it on the Monday walk. That afternoon Mrs. NWC sent me a video of her trying to walk. She was really struggling and started to fall down. That's when I started to worry, but I still hoped for the best. Maybe it was middle ear thing that was giving her balance problems. I got home to Mrs. NWC holding her because she couldn't walk anymore. She took her to the emergency vet clinic. An hour later she called me back in tears; Star was failing most of the neuro exam. Her pupils weren't reacting to light and 3 limbs didn't have normal reflexes. Our options were to hope for meningitis (the 'best' case scenario) and keep her in the clinic to treat her for days, or accept that in all likelihood this was a brain tumor that was rapidly progressing. Reality sunk in. We knew this was a terminal event. The vet gave her muscle relaxant and some fluids that would keep her comfortable for another 24 hours, and she brought her home.

I called our two oldest daughters with the news, which of course went as bad as you would expect. The one in Montana would not see her again, and wasn't ready to accept that. Our daughter in Eugene decided to drive here that night. At some point that night, agonal breathing set in, and we were hoping that she would just hold on until our daughter arrived. She did, but there were only brief flashes of consciousness and recognition once she got here. Mrs. NWC and I went to bed around 2, and the daughter stayed up with Star until her breathing became less labored. I fully expected her to die while we slept.

She didn't, but she was unresponsive to most stimuli. We called the mobile vet service that offered euthanasia at home. They came around 11 that morning. And that of course was terrible. But that service did bring some comfort to a terrible situation. They wrapped Star in a blanket and took her away. And that was that. All told, it was less 24 hours from when we started worrying about her to her death. Our only solace is that she did not suffer long, but man, we were not ready for this.

Apollo is lost. Star was with him since the first day we brought him home. Every single day for the past four years was spent with her. Now when he goes outside, he's a little unsure about what to do. Hell, he would even wait for her to pee so he could pee where she did. Every dinner they would eat half of the food in their bowl, then switch to the other bowl and finish that (a holdover from when Apollo was getting the yummy puppy food). Every walk they were side by side. And now, just him.

Yes, we are prone to anthropomorphizing our pets. Yes, some people go overboard with their relationships with dogs. Yes, Apollo will get over the loss of Star quicker than we will. But you cannot tell me dogs do not have a range of emotions very close to ours. Up until the end, Star was happiest outdoors with us. I know she was happy that we moved to our new place, where she could protect us from all those squirrels and deer. At home, she felt content to be in the same room as we were, not at our feet like Apollo but close enough to feel the attachment to us. And she was sad, in every sense of the word, when she was sick and in pain.

I didn't understand the attachment my brother had to his dog, and the loss they felt when it died, until we got our dogs. The shit shoveling, the thousands of dollars spent on food and vets, the chewed up shoes, the hassle when you go on vacation. Yeah, it's a big downside. But they become family in every sense of the word. We spent 12 years feeding Star, taking turns walking her, caring for her. In return, she gave us unconditional love. And now we feel that void pretty acutely. The humans in the NWC family have pretty much gotten back into the normal routines, but there is still the lingering sense of loss in the house. We've even found ourselves irrationally musing about getting another dog, just so our hearts can get pummeled again in another 12 years. I know it's crazy. But that's what dogs, the one species on earth that should never die, do to you.

Rest in peace, Star. You were the best.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• IMG_0659.jpg
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Sorry NWC. That is rough.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        <Nodding and laughing nervously>

I know we've been snapping towels over dogs... but reading your whole story about Star, and her death, made me tear up a little.

Sorry for your loss.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

We've even found ourselves irrationally musing about getting another dog, just so our hearts can get pummeled again in another 12 years. I know it's crazy. But that's what dogs, the one species on earth that should never die, do to you.

Yes, it is crazy but that is what we do—sorry for your loss.

Comment

[ATTACH]9227[/ATTACH]
                            This should be in the photography thread. Great pic.

Comment

• Sorry for your loss. Also for Apollo's loss.

Comment

• Condolences, NWC. There was a time when my wife and I secretly mocked the canine anthropomorphizing and couldn't understand what we thought was excessive grieving when our friends' dogs passed on, but then in response to many years of pleading by the kids, we got our first dog. Louie was awesome and a treasured member of the family. He collapsed suddenly when he was ten and was rushed to the vet where he died. Mrs. PAC, who had been very anti-dog ("I do kids, not pets"), called me sobbing to report the news. It's now been eight years but we still miss Louie, very much. We get it now, and are saddened by your loss. With the kids gone and given our frequent travel schedule, we haven't gotten another dog, but we wish we had started sooner. filsdpac is still bummed that we got Louie the first Christmas he was on his mish.

Comment

Working...
                                X