Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most important individual stat in NCAA football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important individual stat in NCAA football?

Pass Efficiency Rating

Actually, I have no clue how significant this is, but I found it interesting nonetheless that the teams of top 12 QBs in the country have a combined record of 111-14. Or an average record of 9-1.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

We need Indy to show up and fill us in on the PE differential. He claims that is the key stat.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Well, I'm no Indy, but . . .

BYU Pass Efficiency: 166.84
      BYU Pass Efficiency (Defense): 116.46
      PE Differential: 50.38

Utah Pass Efficiency: 144.42
      Utah Pass Efficiency (Defense) 113.46
      PE Differential: 30.96

PED Differential: BYU +19.42.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

And Indy on why that matters:

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=2279662

And his breakdown:

PED Diff W L Win% Avg MOV
        125 to 150 3 0 100.0% 47.3
        100 to 125 36 0 100.0% 38.6
        75 to 100 165 4 97.6% 30.9
        50 to 75 477 43 91.7% 21.3
        25 to 50 829 213 79.6% 13.1
        0 to 25 934 589 61.3% 4.3
        Last edited by All-American; 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
          Well, I'm no Indy, but . . .

BYU Pass Efficiency: 166.84
          BYU Pass Efficiency (Defense): 116.46
          PE Differential: 50.38

Utah Pass Efficiency: 144.42
          Utah Pass Efficiency (Defense) 113.46
          PE Differential: 30.96

PED Differential: BYU +19.42.
          Help an idiot out....so this is good for BYU right?

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
            Help an idiot out....so this is good for BYU right?
            Yes, Indy's prediction would be something like BYU should win by 4-6 points (of course you should probably throw in a home field advantage adjustment at the very least which would reduce it to like 1-3 points).

* just based on the table its 4 points but I assume Indy would want to adjust it upward more because 19.4 is towards the upper end of the lowest differential breakpoint.
            Last edited by pelagius; 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              We need Indy to show up and fill us in on the PE differential. He claims that is the key stat.
              I think I have to go with points being the key stat. That or PD (point differential).
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                I think I have to go with points being the key stat. That or PD (point differential).
                No doubt PD (point differential) is a great stat but it has its problems as an ex ante predictor.
                Last edited by pelagius; 11-20-2008, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                  No doubt PD (point differential) is a great stat but it has its problems as an ex ante predictor.
                  I wonder how PED compares to PD (ex post=over past games?) as a predictor.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

What about turnovers?
                    "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      I wonder how PED compares to PD (ex post=over past games?) as a predictor.
                      You're right you can use PD in an ex ante way.

That's what the computer models are really doing to some degree. You use the information in past game score (margin of victory) to rank teams and predict. The MOV models are not as good of predictors as the Vegas spread. So just go with spread as your ex ante predictor. Indy claims he can beat the spread about 60% of the time with a modified version of PED (I am skeptical of this claim, I believe it worked this well for some sample period, but I am skeptical it will work that wll going forward, but if it does Indy should be become a very rich man).

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                        You're right you can use PD in an ex ante way.

That's what the computer models are really doing to some degree. You use the information in past game score (margin of victory) to rank teams and predict. The MOV models are not as good of predictors as the Vegas spread. So just go with spread as your ex ante predictor. Indy claims he can beat the spread about 60% of the time with a modified version of PED (I am skeptical of this claim, I believe it worked this well for some sample period, but I am skeptical it will work that wll going forward, but if it does Indy should be become a very rich man).
                        The problem is that PED is only good towards the end of the season, once you've gotten enough data to be able to figure out how good the two teams are. It's good for November games and for bowl games. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                          What about turnovers?
                          Somewhat accounted for in PED, as interceptions figure into the stat.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            The problem is that PED is only good towards the end of the season, once you've gotten enough data to be able to figure out how good the two teams are. It's good for November games and for bowl games. Maybe.
                            This would be true for a MOV based predictor as well. But, yes, that problem does limit Indy's ability to potentially make money off that strategy.
                            Last edited by pelagius; 11-20-2008, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X