Fixing a ceiling fan light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a ceiling fan light

I moved into an apartment, my light bulb was burned out so I bought some new ones. It was hard to screw in, and in my first attempt to screw another one in the metal that holds the light bulb in place was pulled out of the socket. It is easy enough to put back in, but no light bulb works now. Even if I dont use that metal and just try and have it work by putting it in myself and holding it, it still won't light up.

If this makes any sense, who should I contact or what should I try?

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
    I moved into an apartment, my light bulb was burned out so I bought some new ones. It was hard to screw in, and in my first attempt to screw another one in the metal that holds the light bulb in place was pulled out of the socket. It is easy enough to put back in, but no light bulb works now. Even if I dont use that metal and just try and have it work by putting it in myself and holding it, it still won't light up.

If this makes any sense, who should I contact or what should I try?
    Contact your landlord and tell him your light fixture is broken and he needs to fix it. If he demurs, mention something about the fact that you're afraid you'll get shocked, and you'd hate to have to file a claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Contact your landlord and tell him your light fixture is broken and he needs to fix it. If he demurs, mention something about the fact that you're afraid you'll get shocked, and you'd hate to have to file a claim.
      Agreed.

If this is something that you are going to try to do yourself, I am a bit confused on what exactly is going on. Can you explain it a little bit more please.
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Uncle Fester, is that you?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

it sounds like one of the contacts on the socket came loose.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Two of our ceiling fans' lights went out on successive nights. I'd call it a coincidence, but that seems suspect. I've rewired them and they still aren't working, but the fan still works. Seems odd. So I'm stuck with either spending another hour or two fiddling with it or replacing small parts until it works or I can just go buy two new fans for $90 a piece and install brand new fans and be done in 30 minutes. I think I'll just buy the new fans.

Any ideas though on why the lights would go out and not the fan? I've checked the wiring, which all seems good. The bulbs are fine (there are 4 bulbs in each and they are all out).
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Two of our ceiling fans' lights went out on successive nights. I'd call it a coincidence, but that seems suspect. I've rewired them and they still aren't working, but the fan still works. Seems odd. So I'm stuck with either spending another hour or two fiddling with it or replacing small parts until it works or I can just go buy two new fans for $90 a piece and install brand new fans and be done in 30 minutes. I think I'll just buy the new fans.

Any ideas though on why the lights would go out and not the fan? I've checked the wiring, which all seems good. The bulbs are fine (there are 4 bulbs in each and they are all out).
              That 30 minute thing is a lie. Count in at least two hours.

Comment

replace bulbs and see if the same sockets are burning out
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Fixing a ceiling fan light

did you check the wiring within the light housing directly above the light attachment (I.e inside the round canister below the fan blades--not in the electrical box in the wall)
                  Last edited by Donuthole; 04-09-2014, 06:55 PM.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    did you check the wiring within the light housing directly above the light attachment (I.e inside the round canister below the fan blades--not in the electrical box in the wall)
                    Yes, it all looked fine. There were a couple boxes in there that could be bad but I honestly have no idea. I've got a ward friend coming over tomorrow to take a look (electrical engineer) so we'll see but otherwise probably easier to just replace them in total.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I know you can also change out the light fixture on the fan without changing out the whole thing.

Comment

Yes, it all looked fine. There were a couple boxes in there that could be bad but I honestly have no idea. I've got a ward friend coming over tomorrow to take a look (electrical engineer) so we'll see but otherwise probably easier to just replace them in total.
                        Where did he graduate from? If from BYU or UTexas then you should be in good hands.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                        X