Utah Symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camleish View Post
    We we there on Saturday night. Kings Singers are great.

We went Saturday night also - We try and go whenever they are in town.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

I got my Utah Symphony and Opera season Calendar, and now, for the edification of the CUF masses, is my thoroughly opinionated, completely crass and only partially knowledgeable review of the highlights of the upcoming season:

Rachmaninoff Symphony #2
      Y'all know how Rach makes my knees weak. This one features Piano Concerto No. 1 and Symphony No. 2. Encapsulates the full effects of your traditional russian romantic composition, heavy movement up and down the keyboard with lush sentimental backgrounds. It's in September. Between my Cougar season tickets and my husband's Ute season tickets, there's no chance we'll see this one.

Pictures at an Exhibition
      This one's been overdone the last few years. Skip.

Russian Masters

Get there on time, see the Shostakovich October Symphonic Poem. Dmitri was so bad-ass, this was his one fingered salute to communism, even at the risk of a prison term in Siberia. Then Rachmanoff. It's the second Rach in the season- a testament to his rising popularity in the last 5 years. This one is his big one, my all time fave: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. My own personal 50 Shades of Gray. Go home at intermission; the Borodin and Rimsky-Korsakov are minor works.

Rhapsody in Blue
      Absolutely and don't be late. You don't want to miss that 20-second introductory riff by the clarinet. During rehearsal for the premier, the clarinetist played a joke on Gershwin and drew out his line into a glissando, making the orchestra wait to start the piece off. Georgey loved it and told him to play it that way on opening night, making the clarinet wail as much as he could. It is Gershwin's paean to America; I think it's more like a paean to a Disneyland version of America. Imagine you're on the Small World boat ride, and instead of different countries, you're coursing through all the major cities of the US.

Fischer Conducts Bolero
      Overdone. Skip unless you are planning to seduce your date.

Debussy & Ravel
      See Bolero above.

Holiday Celebration with Bravo Broadway
      I don't get this. People who want to see Broadway tunes should just be like Cowboy and hoof it to New York to see a real Broadway play. Why see a symphonic rendition of a broadway tune?

Water Music
      Not for me are these programs of light music. Unless you're taking your two maiden aunts out for tea, why wouldnt you instead go for heavy hitting passionate performances of classical music? Save this for the next time you're at the Nordstrom cafe.

Sibelius' Violin Concerto
      This one looks intriguing. Good old Grieg and Sibelius, with Kodaly whom I am not familiar with. The final number is by Enescu, the only Romanian classical music composer of note. When I was over there the people worshipped him as only a comunist society can. His Rumanian Rhapsody explains the rhythmns of that country as eloquently as Gershwin does with Rhapsody in Blue. Try this one if the standard classical offering are beginning to pall.

Romeo and Juliet
      Meh. Skip all the other Tchaikovsky offerings this season as well, except the Christmas ones. Gotta teach the kids to appreciate classical music.

Mozart's The Magic Flute
      This is THE ONE. The awesomest opera ever. The Big Swinging Dick of the season, and the Utah Symphony knows it- it's their highest priced offering in 2013. The Queen of the Night's Aria (Der Holle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen) is a terrifying prospect to any professional soprano: with no warm up or introductory notes, she has to march out to center stage and hit wondrously high notes in this short 3 minute piece. Only women with balls will agree to take this on. The fairy queen is supposed to be ethereal and other worldly and as far as I am concerned, anyone who can hit that high F6 is truly not of this world. Don't miss.

[YOUTUBE]C2ODfuMMyss[/YOUTUBE]
      Watch carefully at 2:07, she draws this huge audible gasp of air, cause she's not going to be breathing through the next sequence of notes.
      Last edited by Katy Lied; 06-09-2012, 07:13 AM.

Comment

For the Les Miz fans, next weekend (Mar 1 &2) the symphony and chorus are doing selections from the Schonberg/Boublil musicals.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

I really enjoyed the concert. 5 Broadway singers, including Terrence Mann the original Broadway cast Javert, sang; backed up by the Symphony and Chorus. They sang selections from six Schonberg/Boblil musical including the French version of Les Miz, Miss Saigon, Martin Guerre, one on the French Revolution that was their first colabaration.

Good stuff

I'm going to have to brake out my 10th and 25th aniversary Les Miz DVDs
          Last edited by happyone; 03-03-2013, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post

Beethoven was the first to use trombones in the orchestration of a symphony - 5th and 6th
            This is an oft repeated misconception. The Swedish composer Joachim Nikolas Eggert was the first to include trombones in a symphony in his E flat Major Symphony, predating Beethoven's 5th by 18 months.

Comment

Went up to Deer Valley to the music festival last weekend - what a place to listen to the symphony - and singer. It was a John Denver tribute - Actually the singer wasn't bad at all.

We took a picnic and watched the storms roll past to the north of us and only got sprinkled on a couple of times

Comment

A small ancedote from last week at the symphony

They played Pacabels Canon in D for the 3rd piece on the first half of the program. About 3 or 4 rows ahead of us and young lady (about 6 or 7) and her mother were sitting. She sat quitely through the first two pieces, but when the symphony started playing Pacabel she got up and danced to it - she was delightful and pretty good

Everyone around us was entranced by her, even the row of teeagers sitting behind us. At the intermission I made sure I told her mother how much we enjoyed her enthusiasm and found out that this was her first time attending a symphony concert. I hope she comes many more times. It must have been her bedtime, because they didn't stay for the Mahler - which I thought was excellent

Comment

In college I worked for KBYU/BYU radio and would often gets tickets to the symphony for free. I've been many times and almost always enjoyed it. Once I even got box seats for a night they were playing Dvoraks New World Symphony. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Before this year, I always found the Utah Symphony to be a bit stale and boring, despite my obsession with classical music. I had not gone to a concert conducted by Fischer until this year, however, and I am really impressed with him. He seems to have brought a lot of energy to the orchestra that was missing before. I've gone to two concerts this month--one where they played Bernstein's Serenade and the one where they played Mahler's 5th Symphony. I liked them both enough to decide to get season tickets for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                      Before this year, I always found the Utah Symphony to be a bit stale and boring, despite my obsession with classical music. I had not gone to a concert conducted by Fischer until this year, however, and I am really impressed with him. He seems to have brought a lot of energy to the orchestra that was missing before. I've gone to two concerts this month--one where they played Bernstein's Serenade and the one where they played Mahler's 5th Symphony. I liked them both enough to decide to get season tickets for next season.
                      The difference between Lockheart and Fischer and was unmistakable - From the first concert I heard them under his baton I thought they had improved mightily

How did you like Colin Currie - for "modern" classical it wasn't too bad - It's probably the 3rd or 4th time I seen/heard him.

Which day did you go to the Mahler - We went on Friday, and had the extra special dance recital

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
                        The difference between Lockheart and Fischer and was unmistakable - From the first concert I heard them under his baton I thought they had improved mightily

How did you like Colin Currie - for "modern" classical it wasn't too bad - It's probably the 3rd or 4th time I seen/heard him.

Which day did you go to the Mahler - We went on Friday, and had the extra special dance recital
                        I went on Friday night. Must have missed the dance recital. The percussion piece was alright. I like certain types of modern classical (I loved the Bernstein concerto, for example), even some of the really weird stuff ... but sometimes I wonder if there is any structure to it at all or if it is just a bunch of atonal noise thrown together. That was how I felt about the Currie pieces. He was excellent though. I'm sure if I was more familiar with the pieces I would have enjoyed it more.
                        Last edited by UVACoug; 04-27-2014, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          In college I worked for KBYU/BYU radio and would often gets tickets to the symphony for free. I've been many times and almost always enjoyed it. Once I even got box seats for a night they were playing <b>Dvoraks New World Symphony</b>. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.
                          They performed the New World last month and I throughly enjoyed it!

My wife and I get the 9 concert package and have for the last couple of yrs and I haven't been to a total bust yet. There have been pieces I haven't enjoyed (mainly recent compostitions, they world primiered one this year that was a total bust IMnotsoHO, but I think they do a good job of having something on the program that everyone can enjoy (if you like classical music that is)

Comment

Went to the Symphony last Friday and sort of sat by Elder Oaks and his Wife. I don't think they go to Abravanel very much. They didn't know where there seats were and almost stepped on my toes while looking for them (twice!). Ended up sitting about 6 seats over from Mrs Happyone and I, but there was no one sitting between us.

It was a good concert by the way - Beethoven's Second Piano, Mozart's 19 Symphony and Prokofiev's 3rd Symphony - all lesser performed works by these masters.

Comment

renewed my seats to the symphony this week - Next season opens with Beethoven's 9th. I also have tickets for Symphonie Fantsastique and Dvorak's New World.

These aren't on my plan, but they are also performing Copland's Appalachian Spring, An American in Paris and (on the same progarm) Bolero & Carmen

I might swap some of my tickets for a couple of these - esp Copland
                              Last edited by happyone; 04-11-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I avoid the modern/pop stuff but I have season tickets for the entire Masterworks series.

Comment

Working...
                                X