I love Utah politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    He was a moderate, a good guy, and the republican running that year was a jerk. Perfect storm. Those are pretty much the only conditions by which a democrat could win in Utah county.

Since Orton, we have had some jerks running (Chaffetz, IMO), but no moderate, appealing democratic candidates. We have also become more polarized as a nation, politically.
    However, it seems this change in Utah law has allowed Curtis to be elected and it appears he could very well end up being one of the most centrist/moderate Republicans in the Congress given that things have become so polarized at the congressional district level.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      However, it seems this change in Utah law has allowed Curtis to be elected and it appears he could very well end up being one of the most centrist/moderate Republicans in the Congress given that things have become so polarized at the congressional district level.
      Yep.

Thank heavens for the new law. The republican party has spent a fortune fighting it in the courts. Jerks.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Yep.

Thank heavens for the new law. The republican party has spent a fortune fighting it in the courts. Jerks.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/...-another-dime/

The state Republican party spent a fortune they didn't have. They're now in major debt:

Division among Utah Republicans appeared near breaking point Saturday as factions within the party fought over a state elections law and legal challenge that has created a mountain of debt.
        The party has about $25,000 in the bank and $423,000 in bills, an accountant told more than 100 members of the Utah Republican Party Central Committee at a meeting in Park City.
        Much of the debt was created by legal bills from two law firms representing the party in an ongoing legal challenge over SB54, a 2014 law that dictates how candidates can make it to the ballot. Donations to the party have dried up as a result, officials said.
        So the relatively newly-elected state party chairman makes a move to end the lawsuit and the wingnuts in the party freak and try to have him "censured":

Some of the divisions among Republicans were apparent during the largely tense meeting. Several members sought to censure Anderson and other top party leaders for the attempt at backing out of the lawsuit.
        Some said the move, to be binding, should have been approved by the central committee. Layne Beck called the budget committee vote “a parliamentary trick” to circumvent the central committee, which also was divided over the lawsuit during its September meeting.
        Anderson, however, has previously said he has authority to end the lawsuit because party bylaws say he can “take any and all actions necessary to make sure that the party does not have a deficit situation longer than six months.”
        My favorite part though: things got tense so they took a break and some had a prayer group:

At one point, when some called for a vote to reprimand Anderson and others, the group took a short break. Several went to another room to pray.
        The story didn't say if it was the super-nutjob faction that was praying, or the more moderate group that wants to drop the lawsuit, but if I had to bet I would put my money on the nutjob faction doing the praying. The picture on the SLTrib article of them praying is priceless. I have no problem with opening government sessions with prayer, screw the athiests and non-Christians, but taking a break to have a mid-debate group pray cracks me up.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

The state Republican party spent a fortune they didn't have. They're now in major debt:

So the relatively newly-elected state party chairman makes a move to end the lawsuit and the wingnuts in the party freak and try to have him "censured":

My favorite part though: things got tense so they took a break and some had a prayer group:

The story didn't say if it was the super-nutjob faction that was praying, or the more moderate group that wants to drop the lawsuit, but if I had to bet I would put my money on the nutjob faction doing the praying. The picture on the SLTrib article of them praying is priceless. I have no problem with opening government sessions with prayer, screw the athiests and non-Christians, but taking a break to have a mid-debate group pray cracks me up.
          i'm also going to guess the nutjob faction loves Donald Trump.

Comment

$400,000 in debt? That's nothing! That McMuffin Utah CIA dude that many of y'all voted for racked up like $700,000 of debt all by himself. Most of his was legal bills as well. I say they just stick to the lawyers.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Non-Christians should be given turns to give prayers (which they are). The Christian only thing is weird. I don’t care about atheists.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                $400,000 in debt? That's nothing! That McMuffin Utah CIA dude that many of y'all voted for racked up like $700,000 of debt all by himself. Most of his was legal bills as well. I say they just stick to the lawyers.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

It is worth stating again that the Republican party agreed to this new law as a compromise because a pending citizen's initiative would have certainly made it law by popular vote. Then after the election cycle was over, they changed their minds and sued. Bastards.

Comment

It is worth stating again that the Republican party agreed to this new law as a compromise because a pending citizen's initiative would have certainly made it law by popular vote. Then after the election cycle was over, they changed their minds and sued. Bastards.
                    James Evans was the party chair for a lot of that. The guy is a class A douchebag.

Comment

I have a non-LDS co-worker who went to a town hall meeting last night to see her local Utah State Senator and Representative. She and her husband own a pub - so Utah's new laws that do away with the Zion Curtain, while also doing away with the "club" designation and essentially require them to turn their pub into either a bar or a restaurant effects her quite a bit.

Anyway - she said she wasn't sure if she should laugh or cry when Senator Stephenson began the meeting by asking "Brother Young" to say an opening prayer and "Sister Johnson" to lead everyone in the pledge of allegiance. If that wasn't enough to send her over the edge - the fact that the biggest issue people wanted to discuss was replacing the Philo T Farnsworth statue in our nation's capitol with a stature of Brigham Young didn't do her any favors.

This morning she asks me "Do these guys even realize there are some people that live in Utah that aren't Mormon?" Followed closely by "I think he did it that way because he wanted us to know who is really running the show."

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        I have a non-LDS co-worker who went to a town hall meeting last night to see her local Utah State Senator and Representative. She and her husband own a pub - so Utah's new laws that do away with the Zion Curtain, while also doing away with the "club" designation and essentially require them to turn their pub into either a bar or a restaurant effects her quite a bit.

Anyway - she said she wasn't sure if she should laugh or cry when Senator Stephenson began the meeting by asking "Brother Young" to say an opening prayer and "Sister Johnson" to lead everyone in the pledge of allegiance. If that wasn't enough to send her over the edge - the fact that the biggest issue people wanted to discuss was replacing the Philo T Farnsworth statue in our nation's capitol with a stature of Brigham Young didn't do her any favors.

This morning she asks me "Do these guys even realize there are some people that live in Utah that aren't Mormon?" Followed closely by "I think he did it that way because he wanted us to know who is really running the show."
                        I pretty sure that she is correct on that one. I wonder what the affect on the hospitality industry will be with the new line of liquor laws in Utah, including the .05 DUI. I imagine it is going to hurt those industries. It is pretty absurd that your friends have to choose to convert their establishment to a bar. One thing is clear that every time there is a change in the law that gives with one hand, it takes back with a minimum of 2 hands.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Yep, it's all about letting everyone know who is in charge.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Im pretty happy with them now. Fireworks only 2 days before and 1 day after 7-4 and 7-24. Now if only we could sue the scofflaws from 7-6 to 7-22.

I won't be happy until it is just on the two holidays, really. This is truly a public nuisance with one person/family enjoying the benefits and everyone around them miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

this is a good thing for them right?
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                Yep, it's all about letting everyone know who is in charge.
                                not much point in that, because god is in charge of everything whether people "know" it or not
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X