No announcement yet.

I love Utah politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provo Mayor John Curtis wins the congressional seat vacated by Jason Chaffetz. Curtis is a moderate republican who used the new petition process to secure a spot on the primary ballot because he is not extreme enough to win by wooing delegates in the republican convention (that spot was won by Chris Herrod). During the campaign, he was often accused of being a liberal commie by the far right elements of the party but he enjoyed broad support in the general public and trounced Herrod in primary and won easily yesterday over the democratic challenger.

His challenger was Dr. Kathy Allen. Just noticed this exchange this morning:

I guess Allen has since deleted her tweet. I honestly had no idea she was not LDS and I doubt anyone cared. She came across and snarky and condescending in the debates. She honestly seemed to think that a vote for Curtis is a vote for Trump because they share the same party (Curtis did not vote for Trump!). She and many democrats are shocked today that mormons would embrace trump by voting for Curtis.

Good grief, if democrats are really this stupid, they will stay down for a long time.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Provo Mayor John Curtis wins the congressional seat vacated by Jason Chaffetz. Curtis is a moderate republican who used the new petition process to secure a spot on the primary ballot because he is not extreme enough to win by wooing delegates in the republican convention (that spot was won by Chris Herrod). During the campaign, he was often accused of being a liberal commie by the far right elements of the party but he enjoyed broad support in the general public and trounced Herrod in primary and won easily yesterday over the democratic challenger.

I guess Allen has since deleted her tweet. I honestly had no idea she was not LDS and I doubt anyone cared. She came across and snarky and condescending in the debates. She honestly seemed to think that a vote for Curtis is a vote for Trump because they share the same party (Curtis did not vote for Trump!). She and many democrats are shocked today that mormons would embrace trump by voting for Curtis.

Good grief, if democrats are really this stupid, they will stay down for a long time.
      Wow, what a whiny condescending tweet.

Comment

SL trib was reporting that she lost in SL county as well
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

John Curtis is the guy with the sock fetish, right?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

That's stupid! Utah county voters also care that their white males be Republicans.

Comment

I could have voted for Curtis based on what is on his website. Trump will not like this guy if he votes in Congress based on what he campaigned on.

Good for Utah to figure out how to make it easier for non-crazy candidates to get on the ballot. Ultimately it should be a general election that sends reps to Congress, not some outdated silly delegate selection process where only the nut jobs care enough to take part in, combined with gerrymandered districts.
              Last edited by BlueK; 11-08-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

curtis for chaffetz is a great trade. i like curtis. he achieved cool stuff in provo
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  curtis for chaffetz is a great trade. i like curtis. he achieved cool stuff in provo
                  Let’s wait and see if Chaffetz runs for governor.
                  "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Many really are that stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                        Please, please no.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

chaffetz could also make a senate run

Comment

Jeff Flake should move to Utah and make a senate run. That would be entertaining, if nothing else and might even goad the president into making anti-Mormon tweets.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              chaffetz could also make a senate run
                              Welp, hopefully that will cause someone to do serious oppo research and not hold back on what they find.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                Welp, hopefully that will cause someone to do serious oppo research and not hold back on what they find.
                                What is Chaffetz connection to Russia?

Comment

Working...
                                X