Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: I love Utah politics

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Ben’s a really nice and genuine guy, especially for a politician.
    Reminds me of another really nice and genuine guy that is a politician.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Hey, your gif showed up for me! Today is a great day!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Ben’s a really nice and genuine guy, especially for a politician.
    I guess I should qualify my statement of him being unlikable. He comes across that way on TV (the debates and tv ads).

I do expect him to win. But he takes too much credit for prosperity that happened while he was in office that had nothing to do with anything he did. But it's fair to say every politician does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Today is a great day!
    Wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Looks like the anti-gerrymandering proposition is probably going to win. Good news for those who think the voters should choose their representatives rather than the other way around.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...r-prop-create/
    Unfortunate. It's a bad proposition.

I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Unless your a partisan political operative, it’s not.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Only if you think reps should choose their voters rather than the other way around.

Unless your a partisan political operative, it’s not.
    It doesn't stop gerrymandering. It just changes who is doing it.

Only if you think reps should choose their voters rather than the other way around.
    Someone has to choose the voters . . .

Someone has to choose the voters . . .
    It's not fair for it to be the current officeholders doing it to benefit themselves. That's the point. Whoever draws the lines should be someone who doesn't have as much of a dog in the fight. It's probably not possible to completely eliminate conflict of interest, but this adds a level of oversight to it. You mentioned earlier that Utah is 70% Republican. That shouldn't automatically entitle the GOP to get 100% of the representation. 70% probably deserves 3 seats, not all 4. Of course if you're a hardcore partisan you don't care. But you wouldn't like it if you lived in a liberal state and it was the reverse.
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-01-2018 at 03:27 PM.

It doesn't stop gerrymandering. It just changes who is doing it.
    It's a much better alternative that has demonstrabiliy helped out the process in other states. It's a big blow against gerrymandering. Odd you see it as worse.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

It's not fair for it to be the current officeholders doing it to benefit themselves. That's the point. Whoever draws the lines should be someone who doesn't have as much of a dog in the fight. It's probably not possible to completely eliminate conflict of interest, but this adds a level of oversight to it. You mentioned earlier that Utah is 70% Republican. That shouldn't automatically entitle the GOP to get 100% of the representation. 70% probably deserves 3 seats, not all 4. Of course if you're a hardcore partisan you don't care. But you wouldn't like it if you lived in a liberal state and it was the reverse.
    I agree, but Utah is not 70% republican, at least not registered Republicans.

It should be done without splitting up counties, if possible, and that is possible in Utah.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Princeps Inter Pares

The perils of gerrymandering are overblown.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

But you wouldn't like it if you lived in a liberal state and it was the reverse.
    Oh, but I do.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    It should be done without splitting up counties, if possible, and that is possible in Utah.
    That's one arbitrary way to look at it.

That's one less arbitrary way to look at it.
    FIFY
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    The perils of gerrymandering are overblown.
    The perils of gerrymandering are underblown.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    ouch!

AA NMD
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    Seriously. Not that big a deal.

Everything that you see that's wrong with the house is also wrong with the Senate. There's no gerrymandering there.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Ran into Ben McAdams at Habit burgers last night. He looked pretty tired.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Ran into Ben McAdams at Habit burgers last night. He looked pretty tired.
    i like ben a lot
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Classic Utah politics summarized on a mailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

I'm laughing at the passing of Proposition 2. It is just a path to recreational use, but as someone who supports recreational use, I'm on board with that path. The LDS church overestimated their political power on this one. The church killed every single medical marijuana bill over the years even with public support of medical marijuana. They scrambled last minute trying to feign support and trying to rush through something at the last minute to kill the ballot initiate, but lost. If they had just let one of the medical marijuana bills pass, they would have never ended up in this situation.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Classic Utah politics summarized on a mailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He got his butt kicked. Sounds like he was way behind and this mailing was a hail mary. If anything, it made things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I'm laughing at the passing of Proposition 2. It is just a path to recreational use, but as someone who supports recreational use, I'm on board with that path. The LDS church overestimated their political power on this one. The church killed every single medical marijuana bill over the years even with public support of medical marijuana. They scrambled last minute trying to feign support and trying to rush through something at the last minute to kill the ballot initiate, but lost. If they had just let one of the medical marijuana bills pass, they would have never ended up in this situation.
    The results of the proposition are irrelevent. The legislature is meeting in December to overturn it and implement an alternative version. This was going to happen whether or not the proposition passed.

The results of the proposition are irrelevent. The legislature is meeting in December to overturn it and implement an alternative version. This was going to happen whether or not the proposition passed.
    The only reason the legislature is meeting is because there was a threat that this was going to pass. The LDS church changed its stance when it felt there was a threat it was going to pass. The legislature's action is only because of that change. It is also going to force the legislature to go broader than it would have been otherwise.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

What's wrong with this? The Church was on the wrong end of public opinion, and now they have aligned with public opinion. The church should be commended for their flexibility in realizing the inevitable. I'm pretty sure you'd be contemptuous of the Church no matter how it reacted. Win-win for you.

The fact that it passed is relevant because now from a public opinion standpoint the legislature is 100% obligated to actually agree on and implement legalized medical marijuana in the state in short order.

If it didn’t pass that would have given the legislature an excuse to delay, defer or even completely fail to pass any type of medical marijuana legislation.