Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: I love Utah politics

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    It was more than that. He’s also a good candidate with a background of being pragmatic and bipartisan.
    We'll see I suppose. Washington has a way of changing people. I'm just hoping he's to the right of Matheson.

Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    We'll see I suppose. Washington has a way of changing people. I'm just hoping he's to the right of Matheson.
    You’ll be disappointed then. He’s not more conservative than Matheson. Jim was very conservative for a Democrat, but I think McAdams will try and follow his example and be more beholden to his district than anything else. He’s not an idiot

You’ll be disappointed then. He’s not more conservative than Matheson. Jim was very conservative for a Democrat, but I think McAdams will try and follow his example and be more beholden to his district than anything else. He’s not an idiot
    Well, he just has to make it through the 2020 election. Once redistricting happens, his seat is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    He has already signed a document expressing opposition to Pelosi as Speaker.
    My money is still on Pelosi to be the speaker... she has a way of forcing the vote. It would be awesome if Ocasio-Cortez somehow became the speaker, however.

You're not wrong, but there is another group of democrats that oppose Pelosi because they are moderate red state democrats, and McAdams falls into that category. It's interesting.
    I have been in Utah this week and saw McAdams on the news declaring victory. He seems like an young guy (with young kids) and claims to be somewhat independent ("people over party" which seems like a good thing). He seems quite conservative on the issues: wants secure borders ("build the wall!"), fiscally responsible government, supports tax reform and simpler tax system, etc. The one big negative about him is that he is an UofU grad. Given he is fiscally conservative and socially liberal maybe he should just come out of the closet and declare that he is actually a Libertarian.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Lol, Mia Love called McAdams w wolf in sheep’s clothing. Sore loser much?

Lol, Mia Love called McAdams w wolf in sheep’s clothing. Sore loser much?
    In the local article she says she's going to speak her mind more now. I think that implied she's going to be less hesitant to be critical of Trump. We'll see. I did appreciate she spoke out against some of the worst things he's done. I think had she gone full Trump worship and had him campaign for her that she would have been buried in that district instead of losing close.

Since everyone gets in a huff when non-quack-medicine Hatch news gets posted in that thread, I guess this is the best place for this:

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Since everyone gets in a huff when non-quack-medicine Hatch news gets posted in that thread, I guess this is the best place for this:

SDNY = Democrats

https://fox13now.com/2019/02/08/this...e-legislature/

Looks like Utah could get a new state flag.

Beer amendments. I'm sure this will go nowhere or else it will be cut back substantially, but the proposal is to allow 6.0 ABV beer to be sold in stores and on draft. Something will change with the weight of grocery store beer, because as it stands Coors, Miller, and Budweiser are going to be out of Utah grocery stores soon.

https://le.utah.gov/~2019/bills/stat...0y3TYSRpVM4kKk
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

What's the deal with ballot initiatives in Utah. Are they just a fun exercise in spending a ton of time and energy to essentially do a poll that lets the legislature know what the voters are interested in?

First we have the medical marijuana thing. The legislature holds an emergency session when it passes in order to change a bunch of it up. Granted, they apparently brought in the people who authored the initiative and got their input into whatever the compromise was - but I know they also made some people who voted for it angry for changing what they voted for.

Now we're starting to hear advertising about the medicaid expansion initiative that passed. Utah's legislature thinks it's too expensive to actually adopt/implement what was voted on, so they are again looking at some compromise and apparently planning to implement something different than the initiative that passed.

In a related note - I was listening to one of the legislators on KSL talking about the medicaid expansion thing. He says that it would cost $70 million to implement the initiative - and they just don't have that in the budget. I mean, they have a surplus THIS year, but there's no guarantees that they will have a surplus in future years. So they don't want to do anything that commits them when the future is unknown as to what money they'll have to work with. Sure. OK. I get it. I'm good with fiscal responsibility.

But I'm having a hard time reconciling that with the $250 million tax cut they're proposing. I mean - you might have a surplus THIS year, but if you do a tax cut, isn't that kind of like the exact opposite of what this legislator was saying as far as not wanting to commit money that you aren't sure will be there? Because it sure seems to me that if you didn't to a $250 million dollar tax cut, you might have the $70 million dollars you'll need to do the medicaid expansion that the people all voted for.

Don't get me wrong - I'm OK with tax cuts. I'm just not sure how it reconciles with "we don't have enough money to implement the initiative the people voted for".

So - that's my Utah Politics rant of the day.

After killing the pot ballot initiative with the compromise bill that ensures medical marijuana is not in Utah, the LDS church moves on to making sure to damage grocery store profits.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46489179...enience-stores
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

Oh dear.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

I don't know why we need to sell any beer in grocery stores. Where I grew up, you had to go to the liquor store to get any alcohol. Canadians seemed to do alright imbibing in that environment.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2015/04/...across-canada/

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    I don't know why we need to sell any beer in grocery stores. Where I grew up, you had to go to the liquor store to get any alcohol. Canadians seemed to do alright imbibing in that environment.

I can't believe the church is reaching its heavy hand all the way to Canada.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I don't know why we need to sell any beer in grocery stores.
    Because that's where people buy stuff and it's more convenient. The church is a bit too heavy handed in this. It's silly and will hurt commerce in the state.

Dyslexics are teople poo...

Except now Ontario is pushing to sell it in grocery stores, as that article states (it's from 2015). Quebec allows beer and wine to be sold in grocery stores. I think the rest of the provinces have a mix of alcohol being sold in both privately and provincially owned liquor stores.

Except now Ontario is pushing to sell it in grocery stores, as that article states (it's from 2015). Quebec allows beer and wine to be sold in grocery stores. I think the rest of the provinces have a mix of alcohol being sold in both privately and provincially owned liquor stores.
    I think the point is that Utah isn't the only place with odd alcohol laws. Texas still has some towns and entire counties where it's illegal to sell even beer.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I think the point is that Utah isn't the only place with odd alcohol laws. Texas still has some towns and entire counties where it's illegal to sell even beer.
    Yeah I get that. Colorado is pretty strict also. I was just correcting the Canadian record.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    In PA alcohol, including beer, is only sold in liquor stores. Can’t get beer at the grocery store
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Here's a wikipedia link with all state alcohol laws to save everyone from typing boring anecdotes that are irrelevant to the ABV restrictions in place in Utah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Yeah I get that. Colorado is pretty strict also. I was just correcting the Canadian record.
    You weren't correcting anything. Everything I said was accurate. Clarifying maybe.

For the record. I don't think the church should have gotten involved. But I also don't think it is a huge convenience going to a liquor store either. Like in the clip from Strange Brew, half of the 7-11s have liquor stores next to them. I'm not concerned at all about the commerce/economic hit either. Grocery stores will find a way to stay in business and those who want alcohol with get alcohol just fine.

I don't follow liquor laws closely, but the Zion curtain was a much dumber law. I was for getting rid of that. I'm fine either way with this law.

Did those liquor stores only sell beer that was at room temperature? What were the hours of those liquor stores? Were the liquor stores all closed on Sundays and every holiday?

I can't believe the church is reaching its heavy hand all the way to Canada.
    Dude you really going to argue that the LDS church doesn't have a say in every single liquor law on the books in Utah. The LDS church stops short of writing the legislation, but pretty much anything passed has to have their stamp of approval.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Because that's where people buy stuff and it's more convenient. The church is a bit too heavy handed in this. It's silly and will hurt commerce in the state.
    I don't think the grocery stores are just going to be cool with losing the revenue either. They are going to have to increase prices of other items in store to make up for the lost profits. Same for convenience stores.
    --SeattleUte

You weren't correcting anything. Everything I said was accurate. Clarifying maybe.

For the record. I don't think the church should have gotten involved. But I also don't think it is a huge convenience going to a liquor store either. Like in the clip from Strange Brew, half of the 7-11s have liquor stores next to them. I'm not concerned at all about the commerce/economic hit either. Grocery stores will find a way to stay in business and those who want alcohol with get alcohol just fine.

I don't follow liquor laws closely, but the Zion curtain was a much dumber law. I was for getting rid of that. I'm fine either way with this law.
    If you want something that is cold, a grocery store/convenience store is the only option. If you want something on a Sunday or a holiday, a grocery store/convenience store is the only option. If you want something after 10:00 p.m., a grocery/convenience store is the only option.
    --SeattleUte

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Dude you really going to argue that the LDS church doesn't have a say in every single liquor law on the books in Utah. The LDS church stops short of writing the legislation, but pretty much anything passed has to have their stamp of approval.
    Weird post. No, I am not arguing that.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Is it a law that the state liquor stores can't store things cold? Talk about killing a good IPA. No better way to turn an IPA skunky than to sore it warm. Lame.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Weird post. No, I am not arguing that.
    Then why the joke about the LDS church's heavy hand reaching to Canada in a thread about Utah politics?

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Is it a law that the state liquor stores can't store things cold? Talk about killing a good IPA. No better way to turn an IPA skunky than to sore it warm. Lame.
    Here is the problem, who knows how long those warm beers on the shelf have also been sitting in a hot warehouse as well. It is why if you really want a reliable IPA in this state you actually have to go to the individual breweries and buy it from their cold case. Of course, not on Sunday. Can't buy a high point beer from a brewery on Sunday. You can buy a 4.0 beer from a brewery on Sunday. So you can sin, but only a little.
    --SeattleUte

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Then why the joke about the LDS church's heavy hand reaching to Canada in a thread about Utah politics?
    Funk, I am sorry that joke went right over your head.

Funk, I am sorry that joke went right over your head.
    So we agree, Utah's absurd liquor laws are written by the LDS church and other areas also have weird liquor laws.

Can we get back to how absolutely absurd it is that the LDS church is fighting SB132 which has as its sole and only change to the liquor laws the change from 4.0 to 6.0 for beer sold in stores. Every other thing remains the same. Oh wait, I know why they are fighting it, because like every single change to liquor laws that have occurred in this state they must take back with 2 hands while giving with 1 hand.

It will happen that eventually higher weight beers will be sold in grocery stores, but something is going to be tacked onto it that makes it worse than before.
    --SeattleUte