I love Utah politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Except now Ontario is pushing to sell it in grocery stores, as that article states (it's from 2015). Quebec allows beer and wine to be sold in grocery stores. I think the rest of the provinces have a mix of alcohol being sold in both privately and provincially owned liquor stores.
    I can’t believe Canadian Tire doesn’t sell alcohol. They sell everything else.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-12-2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
      I can’t believe Canadian Tire doesn’t sell alcohol. They sell everything else.w
      That would be sweet. Then you could use these to buy them:

Canadian Tire Money.jpg
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• HB 441 any thoughts? My biggest concern for this, besides the regulatory costs for so many service providers who are solo operations on low margins, is the potential windfall for local sales taxing authorities.

Local taxes range from 1.2% to 4%. By increasing the base tax base for the state, which doesn't drop down to 3.1 until after 10 months to study it at 3.9 to make sure revenues stay up, you increase the base for the locals which are not decreasing their rates. In my cursory reading last night, I didn't see any restriction on local sales tax of the new base. So unlike the politicians are telling us, all the services and pyramiding possibilities are not just a 3.1% raise in cost to the consumer, but a 5.1% to 7.9% increase in cost of those services to consumers, with the possibility that it drops to a 4.3% to 7.1% hit 10 months later if some bureaucrat thinks the revenue is sustainable. FAT CHANCE!

I have not read it in depth enough so I may have missed any restriction on the local tax collection of the expanded base, but that is my biggest problem with it right now. It is being sold as a 3.1% price jump for consumer services, when in reality it appears to be much much more.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• I see the state legislators carved out an exemption for real estate. Jerks.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I see the state legislators carved out an exemption for real estate. Jerks.
            Are you surprised?
            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
              HB 441 any thoughts? My biggest concern for this, besides the regulatory costs for so many service providers who are solo operations on low margins, is the potential windfall for local sales taxing authorities.

Local taxes range from 1.2% to 4%. By increasing the base tax base for the state, which doesn't drop down to 3.1 until after 10 months to study it at 3.9 to make sure revenues stay up, you increase the base for the locals which are not decreasing their rates. In my cursory reading last night, I didn't see any restriction on local sales tax of the new base. So unlike the politicians are telling us, all the services and pyramiding possibilities are not just a 3.1% raise in cost to the consumer, but a 5.1% to 7.9% increase in cost of those services to consumers, with the possibility that it drops to a 4.3% to 7.1% hit 10 months later if some bureaucrat thinks the revenue is sustainable. FAT CHANCE!

I have not read it in depth enough so I may have missed any restriction on the local tax collection of the expanded base, but that is my biggest problem with it right now. It is being sold as a 3.1% price jump for consumer services, when in reality it appears to be much much more.
              It is a clusterfuck. I'd rather they just raise income taxes.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                It is a clusterfuck. I'd rather they just raise income taxes.
                I agree, if they really need the money and cannot find ways to cut fat. The problem with raising income taxes is those are locked into education by the State Constitution and they are looking for more flexibility for the general fund. The simple solution is to amend the constitution to cut the income tax tie to education and just force the legislators to prioritize like every other family and business that pays the taxes.

Comment

• Spencer Cox is going to run for governor. I’ll be voting for him. He’s another Republican I can get behind. I voted for Herbert last time around primarily because of Cox.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...v-spencer-cox/

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                    Spencer Cox is going to run for governor. I’ll be voting for him. He’s another Republican I can get behind. I voted for Herbert last time around primarily because of Cox.

frank making a habit of voting for Republicans because he likes their Cox.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

frank making a habit of voting for Republicans because he likes their Cox.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Spencer Cox is going to run for governor. I’ll be voting for him. He’s another Republican I can get behind. I voted for Herbert last time around primarily because of Cox.

It's like Cox was made in the lab to be a perfect candidate in Utah. I hear rumors of Chaffetz or Huntsman jumping in as well. But I think they would be flicked aside fairly quickly by Cox.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                          It's like Cox was made in the lab to be a perfect candidate in Utah. I hear rumors of Chaffetz or Huntsman jumping in as well. But I think they would be flicked aside fairly quickly by Cox.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
                          Chaffetz would be awful. He's a terrible politician and worse human being.

Comment

• I think Cox has potential for national level politics.

Comment

Chaffetz would be awful. He's a terrible politician and worse human being.
                              I agree... I lost all respect I had for him when he pulled his support for the candidate of his own party:

Rep. Jason Chaffetz also said he is pulling his support.

"I'm out," Chaffetz told 2News in a live 2News interview Friday. "I'm just so disappointed."

Chaffetz said based on text messages he's received Friday evening, he believes other national Republicans will follow suit and dump Trump. He also said he did not know who he will vote for in November -- only that it won't be Trump or Clinton.

"I can't endorse somebody who acts and thinks like this," Chaffetz said.
                              https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-lt-...-support-trump

You don't stab your own party members in the back... Who did he think he was? John McCain?

Good thing he resigned. All those Utah GOP'ers that voted for Drumpf would have canned him for sure.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                I think Cox has potential for national level politics.
                                yohio loves cox, you heard it here first folks
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X