No announcement yet.

I love Utah politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t really have an opinion on the church’s statement, but my own personal opinion is that MJ should go through the federal drug testing process and be regulated. If it’s not harmful then legalize and regulate it like alcohol.

From my anecdotal expierence, I’ve seen MJ ruin lives and marriages due to addiction from a good friend of mine that couldn’t kick the habit. But I don’t want to extrapolate that to everyone else.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      From my anecdotal expierence, I’ve seen MJ ruin lives and marriages due to addiction from a good friend of mine that couldn’t kick the habit. But I don’t want to extrapolate that to everyone else.
      lol knock it off
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I don’t really have an opinion on the church’s statement, but my own personal opinion is that MJ should go through the federal drug testing process and be regulated. If it’s not harmful then legalize and regulate it like alcohol.
        Does your wife know that you want her to go through that process?
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          That would be good. Do we have some data showing that it reduces opiate addiction?
          Depending on the intensity of someone's addiction, I'm generally not keen on them trying to shove their addiction onto marijuana. I've never seen it work out longer than a few months. I do believe there is some research out there that shows that using marijuana as part MAT can help, but it's not definitive.

There's also evidence hallucinogenics can help with opiate detox and post-acute withdrawal. I've seen some people do well after that provided they engaged in some outpatient care following that experience.

Comment

• Did a little more research on the proposed medical MJ law in Utah. It is a joke. Doctors allowed to prescribe MJ would include "naturopathic physicians", dentists, PA's, etc. In other words, just about anybody - nothing at all like a medical prescription. It would also be exempt from state tax. This is not about medical cannabis. It is an attempt to get legalize MJ through the back door. No wonder it is facing opposition.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Did a little more research on the proposed medical MJ law in Utah. It is a joke. Doctors allowed to prescribe MJ would include "naturopathic physicians", dentists, PA's, etc. In other words, just about anybody - nothing at all like a medical prescription. It would also be exempt from state tax. This is not about medical cannabis. It is an attempt to get legalize MJ through the back door. No wonder it is facing opposition.
              What? Utah wouldn't tax it?!? That's stoopid... Utah taxes everything that moves (or doesn't move).
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                What? Utah wouldn't tax it?!? That's stoopid... Utah taxes everything that moves (or doesn't move).
                Ha. Utah is always ranked at or near the top in fiscal management. Typically way above Texas.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Did a little more research on the proposed medical MJ law in Utah. It is a joke. Doctors allowed to prescribe MJ would include "naturopathic physicians", dentists, PA's, etc. In other words, just about anybody - nothing at all like a medical prescription. It would also be exempt from state tax. This is not about medical cannabis. It is an attempt to get legalize MJ through the back door. No wonder it is facing opposition.
                  Can all those people prescribe opiates though?

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                    Can all those people prescribe opiates though?
                    No.

Comment

• I visited with one of our legislators who is also a doctor a while back about this, and I thought he made some good points.

I agree with the church's statement that before simply approving medical marijuana it needs to go through the proper scrutiny that all drugs used for that purpose go through. But, as Funk has indicated - that means that some changes need to be made that will allow said testing and research to take place.

Why can't we start there? Why can't we push for the testing and research to happen instead of simply pushing for its use?

For the record - I'm going to go ahead and speculate that the church had a pretty well respected medical doctor review that statement before releasing it.

Comment

• Colorado reported $500 million in tax revenue last year... and half of that went to their schools. (How much from Utahns taking "ski trips" to Colorado?)

There is a potential of $132 billion in tax revenue and 1 million new jobs in the next 10 years.

And Utah doesn't want to tax their weed...
                        Last edited by Uncle Ted; 04-12-2018, 08:44 AM.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• When I saw that this thread was bumped, I was hoping it was in relation to the Utah GOP drama that is currently going on surrounding "Count My Vote" and the caucus system.

There's been a pretty big todo related to some of the behind the scenes maneuverings.

You've probably heard that the Utah GOP was in serious debt due to this ongoing lawsuit challenging SB54 - which allows candidates to collect signatures rather than go through the caucus system. They were more than $400K in debt to the attorneys representing them in the lawsuit.

Enter Dave Bateman - nice guy who apparently agreed to be an intermediary and take on the debt. Of course, that isn't without strings attached. He negotiated with the attorneys and ended up paying them around $175K. But the agreement with the GOP is that if they don't continue to appeal SB54 all the way to the US Supreme Court, they'll have to pay back the entire $400K.

In the meantime - emails are now swirling from folks in the Davis Co GOP talking about a motion that will come up at convention to remove all of the Davis Co central committee members who are part of the "Gang of 51" and replace them with new central committee members. Along with competing emails talking about how the proposal has no merit and is contrary to bylaws.

Super entertaining to watch. I don't think you can make this stuff up.

Comment

• There are some pretty good arguments to legalizing pot, but generating tax revenue has to be one of the dumbest.

Comment

Sheesh, and I thought MJ was a good farmer's daughter from Oregon.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

There are some pretty good arguments to legalizing pot, but generating tax revenue has to be one of the dumbest.
                                Don't argue with the "Libertarian".

Comment

Working...
                                X