I love Utah politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
    I don't know why we need to sell any beer in grocery stores.
    Because that's where people buy stuff and it's more convenient. The church is a bit too heavy handed in this. It's silly and will hurt commerce in the state.

Comment

• Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I don't know why we need to sell any beer in grocery stores. Where I grew up, you had to go to the liquor store to get any alcohol. Canadians seemed to do alright imbibing in that environment.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2015/04/...across-canada/
        Except now Ontario is pushing to sell it in grocery stores, as that article states (it's from 2015). Quebec allows beer and wine to be sold in grocery stores. I think the rest of the provinces have a mix of alcohol being sold in both privately and provincially owned liquor stores.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          Except now Ontario is pushing to sell it in grocery stores, as that article states (it's from 2015). Quebec allows beer and wine to be sold in grocery stores. I think the rest of the provinces have a mix of alcohol being sold in both privately and provincially owned liquor stores.
          I think the point is that Utah isn't the only place with odd alcohol laws. Texas still has some towns and entire counties where it's illegal to sell even beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            I think the point is that Utah isn't the only place with odd alcohol laws. Texas still has some towns and entire counties where it's illegal to sell even beer.
            Yeah I get that. Colorado is pretty strict also. I was just correcting the Canadian record.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              In PA alcohol, including beer, is only sold in liquor stores. Can’t get beer at the grocery store
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Here's a wikipedia link with all state alcohol laws to save everyone from typing boring anecdotes that are irrelevant to the ABV restrictions in place in Utah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  Yeah I get that. Colorado is pretty strict also. I was just correcting the Canadian record.
                  You weren't correcting anything. Everything I said was accurate. Clarifying maybe.

For the record. I don't think the church should have gotten involved. But I also don't think it is a huge convenience going to a liquor store either. Like in the clip from Strange Brew, half of the 7-11s have liquor stores next to them. I'm not concerned at all about the commerce/economic hit either. Grocery stores will find a way to stay in business and those who want alcohol with get alcohol just fine.

I don't follow liquor laws closely, but the Zion curtain was a much dumber law. I was for getting rid of that. I'm fine either way with this law.

Comment

I don't know why we need to sell any beer in grocery stores. Where I grew up, you had to go to the liquor store to get any alcohol. Canadians seemed to do alright imbibing in that environment.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2015/04/...across-canada/
                    Did those liquor stores only sell beer that was at room temperature? What were the hours of those liquor stores? Were the liquor stores all closed on Sundays and every holiday?

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I can't believe the church is reaching its heavy hand all the way to Canada.
                    Dude you really going to argue that the LDS church doesn't have a say in every single liquor law on the books in Utah. The LDS church stops short of writing the legislation, but pretty much anything passed has to have their stamp of approval.

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    Because that's where people buy stuff and it's more convenient. The church is a bit too heavy handed in this. It's silly and will hurt commerce in the state.
                    I don't think the grocery stores are just going to be cool with losing the revenue either. They are going to have to increase prices of other items in store to make up for the lost profits. Same for convenience stores.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

You weren't correcting anything. Everything I said was accurate. Clarifying maybe.

For the record. I don't think the church should have gotten involved. But I also don't think it is a huge convenience going to a liquor store either. Like in the clip from Strange Brew, half of the 7-11s have liquor stores next to them. I'm not concerned at all about the commerce/economic hit either. Grocery stores will find a way to stay in business and those who want alcohol with get alcohol just fine.

I don't follow liquor laws closely, but the Zion curtain was a much dumber law. I was for getting rid of that. I'm fine either way with this law.
                      If you want something that is cold, a grocery store/convenience store is the only option. If you want something on a Sunday or a holiday, a grocery store/convenience store is the only option. If you want something after 10:00 p.m., a grocery/convenience store is the only option.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        Dude you really going to argue that the LDS church doesn't have a say in every single liquor law on the books in Utah. The LDS church stops short of writing the legislation, but pretty much anything passed has to have their stamp of approval.
                        Weird post. No, I am not arguing that.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Is it a law that the state liquor stores can't store things cold? Talk about killing a good IPA. No better way to turn an IPA skunky than to sore it warm. Lame.
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Weird post. No, I am not arguing that.
                            Then why the joke about the LDS church's heavy hand reaching to Canada in a thread about Utah politics?

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                            Is it a law that the state liquor stores can't store things cold? Talk about killing a good IPA. No better way to turn an IPA skunky than to sore it warm. Lame.
                            Here is the problem, who knows how long those warm beers on the shelf have also been sitting in a hot warehouse as well. It is why if you really want a reliable IPA in this state you actually have to go to the individual breweries and buy it from their cold case. Of course, not on Sunday. Can't buy a high point beer from a brewery on Sunday. You can buy a 4.0 beer from a brewery on Sunday. So you can sin, but only a little.
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                              Then why the joke about the LDS church's heavy hand reaching to Canada in a thread about Utah politics?
                              Funk, I am sorry that joke went right over your head.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Funk, I am sorry that joke went right over your head.
                                So we agree, Utah's absurd liquor laws are written by the LDS church and other areas also have weird liquor laws.

Can we get back to how absolutely absurd it is that the LDS church is fighting SB132 which has as its sole and only change to the liquor laws the change from 4.0 to 6.0 for beer sold in stores. Every other thing remains the same. Oh wait, I know why they are fighting it, because like every single change to liquor laws that have occurred in this state they must take back with 2 hands while giving with 1 hand.

It will happen that eventually higher weight beers will be sold in grocery stores, but something is going to be tacked onto it that makes it worse than before.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X