I love Utah politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love Utah politics

So the latest proposal is to require all alcoholic beverages in restaurants to be prepared behind a 10 foot wall. Also, the bill would make it illegal to appear drunk.
    http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_11800501

A few highlights

His measure also would redefine what it means to be intoxicated in Utah, gutting a Utah Supreme Court ruling that said simply being a drunk is not a crime. Under Valentine's bill, it would be illegal for anyone to look like they are drunk.
    "Our family values would be competing with a social norm that glamorizes alcohol," said Kris Kimball, a mother of two teen children. She said the blenders and maraschino cherries "look kind of tantalizing" to children.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Make it stop!

That is funny. It would be more funny if people didn't really think this sort of thing.....
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Comment

I am not sure a 10-foot high wall is tall enough.

I would feel much more at ease if any place with a liquor license also had 1 continually-manned turret for every 10 customers, in case any of the youth attempt to look around for themselves and witness mixed drinks being made.

Also, the drinks must be passed through the 10-foot wall via a squint hole no bigger than a 12 oz beer mug.

Finally, no more references to "virgin" drinks. They shall now be called "chaste" drinks.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          So the latest proposal is to require all alcoholic beverages in restaurants to be prepared behind a 10 foot wall. Also, the bill would make it illegal to appear drunk.
          http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_11800501

A few highlights
          The only thing I agree with is that society DOES glamorize drinking. Along with the bong, if someone on Leno, Letterman, etc. mention marijuana or drinking it's gets the biggest applause and cheers.

I can see where people get torqued when they see friends or relatives who have been killed and injured by repeated drunk drivers and anything that gives some easier access to alcohol gets them worked up. I think if DUI laws were strictly enforced, it might strike a better balance.
          Last edited by Hallelujah; 03-01-2009, 07:03 AM.

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.062d871980c5

Maybe this has been talked about but did Utah mess up here. The outdoor industry seems to be thriving in Utah.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.062d871980c5

Maybe this has been talked about but did Utah mess up here. The outdoor industry seems to be thriving in Utah.
              Utah didn't mess up. These guys have been looking for an opportunity for years. They were going no matter what the governor did. Kudos to Herbert though for not knuckling under when they put a gun to his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                Utah didn't mess up. These guys have been looking for an opportunity for years. They were going no matter what the governor did. Kudos to Herbert though for not knuckling under when they put a gun to his head.
                I agree. You can't open the door for that kind of blackmailing or it will never end.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Hooray for choice. The restaurants in Utah will now be given a choice between the Zion Curtain, the Zion Moat (a 10 foot moat around the bar), or the currently unnamed third Zion option (a 42 inch wall separating a sin section from the rest of the restaurant). Apparently, one of our fine representatives finds the Zion Moat name to be offensive. Of course with this wonderful choices to protect our children, the restaurants that were grandfathered in with the pre-Zion Curtain era will be forced to comply with one of the new Zion options. I am somewhat worried that the final option will allow children under 5 feet tall to see a drink prepared.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4995507-1...ffered-to-zion

The markup on wine and high weight beer both increased by 2%. I'd happily support that if the money went to something useful, you know like helping the underfunded schools. Instead, the money will go to anti-alcohol education, because one thing kids in Utah don't get enough of is preaching that alcohol is bad. Need to make sure the money goes to that noble goal.
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Hooray for choice. The restaurants in Utah will now be given a choice between the Zion Curtain, the Zion Moat (a 10 foot moat around the bar), or the currently unnamed third Zion option (a 42 inch wall separating a sin section from the rest of the restaurant). Apparently, one of our fine representatives finds the Zion Moat name to be offensive. Of course with this wonderful choices to protect our children, the restaurants that were grandfathered in with the pre-Zion Curtain era will be forced to comply with one of the new Zion options. I am somewhat worried that the final option will allow children under 5 feet tall to see a drink prepared.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4995507-1...ffered-to-zion

The markup on wine and high weight beer both increased by 2%. I'd happily support that if the money went to something useful, you know like helping the underfunded schools. Instead, the money will go to anti-alcohol education, because one thing kids in Utah don't get enough of is preaching that alcohol is bad. Need to make sure the money goes to that noble goal.
                    The Trib's writeup is much more even-handed than your presentation of it.

Note that the Zion Moat isn't a literal moat - it's simply a 10 foot area around the bar where kids can't enter. For large restaurants it could be a decent option. For smaller ones it may consume too much space. The unnamed third option is actually named the "Washington State wall" like the Trib article says it is, as the statute was directly copied from Washington State. It doesn't have to be a wall but can be planters or a railing.

Those restaurants that were grandfathered in under the Zion Curtain laws will now have 5 years to comply with one of the new options, or sooner if they undergo a remodel or purchase by a new owner.

The bill also gets rid of the private club designation, which is a good thing because the private club designation was dumb.

As far as the markup on wine and beer, my only thought is that you better not cry in your craft brew too much or you run the risk of diluting its potency!

Comment

The third option doesn't seem all that bad. In fact, sounds like a decent and cheap compromise

I do like how most utahns I know that drink alcohol seem to think these type of weird laws are unique to Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        The Trib's writeup is much more even-handed than your presentation of it.

Note that the Zion Moat isn't a literal moat - it's simply a 10 foot area around the bar where kids can't enter. For large restaurants it could be a decent option. For smaller ones it may consume too much space. The unnamed third option is actually named the "Washington State wall" like the Trib article says it is, as the statute was directly copied from Washington State. It doesn't have to be a wall but can be planters or a railing.

Those restaurants that were grandfathered in under the Zion Curtain laws will now have 5 years to comply with one of the new options, or sooner if they undergo a remodel or purchase by a new owner.

The bill also gets rid of the private club designation, which is a good thing because the private club designation was dumb.

As far as the markup on wine and beer, my only thought is that you better not cry in your craft brew too much or you run the risk of diluting its potency!
                        The private club designation has been long gone. What they are removing is the "dining club" and "social club" designations. The designations were middle ground for places like Red Rock, Squatters, and other brewpubs. It isn't helpful to these businesses to get rid of these designations. The private club thing was stupid.

I'm sure restaurants are just thrilled to have 10 feet of space they cannot use in their restaurants.

The Zion Curtain was a stupid law to begin with. It should have just been eliminated, not these other ridiculous items.

Also, this does not even touch on the ridiculous new .05 DUI law in Utah. .08 was the right designation, what they should have done is increased penalties for DUIs. It is just another example of moralizing about alcohol. It will have no real safety effect. If it was really about safety, they would be addressing much bigger problems than driving at .05 - .07, you know like how texting and driving is just as dangerous as DUI but gets only a $100.00 fine.
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          The third option doesn't seem all that bad. In fact, sounds like a decent and cheap compromise

I do like how most utahns I know that drink alcohol seem to think these type of weird laws are unique to Utah.

Let me state, I don't think stupid liquor laws are unique to Utah. We just have some really ridiculous weird liquor laws that are nothing more than moralizing about drinking alcohol and have no common sense attached to them.
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Let me state, I don't think stupid liquor laws are unique to Utah. We just have some really ridiculous weird liquor laws that are nothing more than moralizing about drinking alcohol and have no common sense attached to them.
                            So does Texas and apparently Washington.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Funk, you should stop drinking. It isn't healthy.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                              X