Myths about Joseph Smith's martyrdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um... thanks.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Um... thanks.
      Macabre?
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        I loved RSR and think it was is a very important book. I'll bet more than a few of the Q12 were (quietly) cheering its publication.
        I sincerely hope they were, but I know a few General Authorities who, when asked their opinion of it, claimed it was no better than Fawn Brodie's book. I also know many TBM who refuse to read it simply because it isn't part of the correlated curriculum or it doesn't have an official endorsement from the church. I realize this is anecdotal, but that's been my experience.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
          I sincerely hope they were, but I know a few General Authorities who, when asked their opinion of it, claimed it was no better than Fawn Brodie's book. I also know many TBM who refuse to read it simply because it isn't part of the correlated curriculum or it doesn't have an official endorsement from the church. I realize this is anecdotal, but that's been my experience.
          I read it at the same time I was reading the BofM in 2005 in response to Pres. Hinckley's challenge. That made it all the more enjoyable for me. Maybe that parallel experience was what allowed me to hold on to my testimony.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
            I read it at the same time I was reading the BofM in 2005 in response to Pres. Hinckley's challenge. That made it all the more enjoyable for me. Maybe that parallel experience was what allowed me to hold on to my testimony.
            RSR was a huge help to me. It presented difficult historical data in a way that was honest, but allowed enough leeway for a believer to keep believing. I don't see how anyone who believes JS was a prophet could have that perception distorted by reading Bushman.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
              RSR was a huge help to me. It presented difficult historical data in a way that was honest, but allowed enough leeway for a believer to keep believing. I don't see how anyone who believes JS was a prophet could have that perception distorted by reading Bushman.
              The chapters about Joseph's polygamy are, I think, jarring to most members (they were to me) so I am careful about recommending the book to others, but I agree that just about any member with a broadly based testimony could handle it.
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Anybody else read this one yet? Was this discussed somewhere here? It's on my list -- looking forward to it.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Cruci.../dp/1610393139

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  Anybody else read this one yet? Was this discussed somewhere here? It's on my list -- looking forward to it.

I liked the review taking about how water dowsing was considered scientific in Palmyra at the time.
                  "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                    I liked the review taking about how water dowsing was considered scientific in Palmyra at the time.
                    Yeah the reviews on books like this are always entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

I'm almost done with it. Some inaccuracies, although I think he did a really good job of painting a complete picture of the environment at the time of the killings, and he also did a good job of flagging stories of suspicious origin. It's probably not going to be popular with the orthodox believing crowd, however, or at least that's my guess. I suspect NOM types won't have much issue with it, and I haven't so far. Interestingly, he names names as the likely people who actually fired the fatal bullets.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                        I'm almost done with it. Some inaccuracies, although I think he did a really good job of painting a complete picture of the environment at the time of the killings, and he also did a good job of flagging stories of suspicious origin. It's probably not going to be popular with the orthodox believing crowd, however, or at least that's my guess. I suspect NOM types won't have much issue with it, and I haven't so far. Interestingly, he names names as the likely people who actually fired the fatal bullets.
                        I just finished it, I liked it for the most part. I think he did a good job staying impartial. I did think it was a little odd that when talking about Joseph's final words, he didn't seem to know that it was a Masonic code phrase, instead taking it literally.
                        "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                          You know there are people today that use dowsing, right? Every driller I've worked with in my career uses dowsing rods as a last check for utilities before drilling.
                          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if Joseph Smith was perceived by Americans at that time much the same way as Warren Jeffs is perceived today. It would be very interesting to see how the NY Times characterized him. I was fascinated to read about Brigham Young's divorce in the Times.
                            That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                              You know there are people today that use dowsing, right? Every driller I've worked with in my career uses dowsing rods as a last check for utilities before drilling.
                              And you didn't inform them it's a waste of time because magic isn't real? Surely drillers have actually functional instruments of some kind rather than divining rods?

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                                And you didn't inform them it's a waste of time because magic isn't real? Surely drillers have actually functional instruments of some kind rather than divining rods?
                                Nope. You could roll an entire site with ground penetrating radar first, and you couldn't convince a driller not to walk the site with his divining rods (they call them witching rods) before he stuck his auger in the ground. It's just what they do (and it actually seems to work for them).
                                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Working...
                                X