Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 3775

Thread: Independent Scheduling rumors

I love independence.

A couple of thoughts on scheduling:

(1) BYU/Army

(From October 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    When BYU first announced Independence, Alema interviewed the Army AD and asked about potential games with BYU in the future. He said that it could happen down the road but that Army was currently scheduling 6-10 years out. I think you have to operate that way to be successful as an independent. Let me rephrase that - I think that if you aren't doing it that way it is a pretty good indicator that you aren't being successful as an independent.
    http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...my#post1029504

It seemed like UMass was pretty quickly able to get a four-game series lined up with Army when they went independent a few years ago. I imagine Holmoe is open to anything reasonable - it would be a great series for BYU for many reasons - so Army likely isn't interested in getting anything on the schedule with us right now for whatever reason.

(2) BYU/Liberty

Strange bedfellows, perhaps? Liberty is moving up to FBS in 2019 (I think?) and will be competing as an independent. Will we see any games with Liberty in the future? At one point in the recent past, applicants to Liberty had to sign a statement that they didn't believe American Indians were descended from Jews, that Satan isn't the brother of Jesus, and other denial-of-Mormonism questions. Maybe they still do. Would Liberty associate with BYU out of football scheduling necessity? Would BYU schedule games with a school that has been so anti-Mormon in the past (and maybe the present)? Time will tell.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

@FBSchedules on Twitter says ESPN has moved the UNLV game from Saturday Nov 11 to Friday Nov 10.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    @FBSchedules on Twitter says ESPN has moved the UNLV game from Saturday Nov 11 to Friday Nov 10.
    Sweet. Now you can make it down for the game and back to Eug in time to coach on Saturday.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I saw that. There goes that roadie for me.

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Everybody is doing a HH with Liberty! It's so awesome, New Mexico state is doing 4 games with Liberty in 2 years!

glad we could give liberty the courtesy of a return trip to lynchburg
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Looks like there may be late opening in UT's schedule thanks to California's new travel ban. Maybe BYU should stiff the Utes and head to the Darrell K Royal instead. Who wants to play a bottom of the bucket Pac-whatever team when they could play a top Big-12 team instead?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Looks like there may be late opening in UT's schedule thanks to California's new travel ban. Maybe BYU should stiff the Utes and head to the Darrell K Royal instead. Who wants to play a bottom of the bucket Pac-whatever team when they could play a top Big-12 team instead?
    What are the cancellation fees on that game?
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    What are the cancellation fees on that game?
    Whatever it is BYU could just put it against Kry Baby's tab.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yeah, but I'm mainly concerned about the difficulty of our schedule and the health of our players.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Whatever it is BYU could just put it against Kry Baby's tab.
    Or maybe let us borrow the HD truck for general conference weekend
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Watering down the schedule with Texas instead of the Utes? Typical Cougar talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Watering down the schedule with Texas instead of the Utes? Typical Cougar talk.
    Lol. In other words schedule a team we know we can beat.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Outsider looking in Blueintheface's Avatar

Out of the woodwork they crawl.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Lol. In other words schedule a team we know we can beat.
    Yes! They all come around eventually.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Va. Tech H-H 2026 & 2030.

Would I prefer that this series was wrapped up prior to my 50th birthday? Sure. But I'll take it.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Va. Tech H-H 2026 & 2030.

Would I prefer that this series was wrapped up prior to my 50th birthday? Sure. But I'll take it.
    And you really aren't that old! 2030..LOL!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    And you really aren't that old! 2030..LOL!
    Yes, have some respect for those who are highly, highly unlikely to be around for the return trip.

Serious question: will colleges still play football in 2030?

ECU and BYU announce another two-game series for 2022 (Provo) and 2024 (NC).

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-Carolina.html

We better get our coaching staff figured out quick...the schedules after 2018 are pretty tough.

It is like we are never wanting to see a 10 win season again.

BYU announced games with Houston, Hawaii and Georgia Southern (who are now FBS, apparently):

https://byucougars.com/story/footbal...-Hawai’i
    Last edited by Joe Public; 11-30-2017 at 03:49 PM.

2020 Schedule is brutal.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson