Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: bb recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    "I don't know if I'm at his [Fredette's] level, but we're similar, I think."

Uh, no, you're not.
    Not even close and the comparisons are really lame. I watched this kids highlight video and he might have been playing against seriously the worst high school basketball competition I have ever seen. In fact I put money right now that the deacons team in my ward can beat his team.

He may end up being decent as UNLV needs shooters but Fredette he is not. I will say I am intrigued by him and would be half tempted to boot Martineau to give this kid a shot.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Not even close and the comparisons are really lame. I watched this kids highlight video and he might have been playing against seriously the worst high school basketball competition I have ever seen. In fact I put money right now that the deacons team in my ward can beat his team.

He may end up being decent as UNLV needs shooters but Fredette he is not. I will say I am intrigued by him and would be half tempted to boot Martineau to give this kid a shot.
    And he thinks he'll be able to workout and stay in shape while on a mission. LOL.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Nice article but does this mean that Harvey married his own cousin?

Lola is Tongan and has several cousins who play in the NFL, including Bears reserve running back Harvey Unga and Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Moeaki.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    No mention of BYU.

Duke is just one of the schools on Jabari's current "list," along with Michigan State, Kansas, Illinois and Washington. Jabari and his father Sonny, a former NBA player who runs a youth foundation and a summer league in the city, said he won't give his commitment until he signs his official letter of intent during his senior year.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I highly doubt this kid truly thinks of himself as being on Fredette's level. Just a young kid giving a poor answer to that question. I think you have to look at what he's done in AAU in both Vegas and in Utah. The kid can play against great competition too and I, like you, wish we'd have given him a shot. I'm admittedly biased though as I grew up with his dad and uncles all of whom were stars in Oregon and then later in Nevada. There's a decent chance that Vandelay played against Dantley's dad back in the day.

Rumor has it BYU will be getting some more good news today. This time regarding a big time recruit. I think we will love this kid.
    *Banned*

Rumor has it BYU will be getting some more good news today. This time regarding a big time recruit. I think we will love this kid.
    If so, I'm predicting Chapman. If not Chapman, then Loveridge.

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

Does his name start with J and rhyme with Atari?

:fingerscrossed:
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    Does his name start with J and rhyme with Atari?

:fingerscrossed:
    If it were him, it would have been a huge understatement to describe it as "good news" and "I think we will love this kid."
    Last edited by Jacob; 08-26-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Awesome. Chapman is already in the bag anyway. But Loveridge gives us a little (but not a lot) of size that we are desperately in need of. Based on the current roster, he's a 4 for us, but there are indications he could be a 3 if we had big men.

i just like that he is sticking it to Stu

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    If it were him, it would have been a huge understatement to describe it as "good news" and "I think BYU fans will like him."
    CJ is known for subtlety.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    If so, I'm predicting Chapman. If not Chapman, then Loveridge.
    congrats.

Pretty disappointing and devastating recruiting loss for Utah fans that were hoping to see their program start to turn around.

With Loveridge, Chatman and Parker, you guys are going to be VERY good.

So this year BYU is looking to land Loveridge and Chapman. Chapman is mission bound out of HS, so BYU's roster next year will be:

Davies - SR
    Rogers - SR
    Zylstra - SR
    Martineau - SR
    Collinsworth - JR
    Carlino - SO
    Haws - SO
    Sharp - SO
    Harrison - SO
    Austin - SO
    Winder - SO
    Harward - FR
    Loveridge - FR

So unless either Zylstra or Martineau give up the sport after this year, BYU is done recruiting for this year. Who is BYU targetting for 2012-2013 recruiting year? My understanding is BYU has hoops offers out to the following rising JRs Talon Shumway, Nick Emery and Jabari Parker. Is BYU recruiting anyone else?
    Last edited by Goatnapper'96; 08-26-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Dave Rose just doesn't lose these types of battles. Congrats on getting Loveridge. I never really expected the Utes to have a shot anyway.

Damn you Dave Rose.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    congrats.

Pretty disappointing and devastating recruiting loss for Utah fans that were hoping to see their program start to turn around.

With Loveridge, Chatman and Parker, you guys are going to be VERY good.
    I highly doubt BYU lands Jabari Parker. But if they did, he would be a difference maker. Further, he would come at a time where there is likely to be a really good and experienced core with Carlino, Haws and Harrison.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Big Love!

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Dave Rose just doesn't lose these types of battles. Congrats on getting Loveridge. I never really expected the Utes to have a shot anyway.

Damn you Dave Rose.
    I thought Utah had a shot. He's from Salt Lake Valley, apparently hasn't got any strong ties to BYU. He's assured to get major playing time as soon as he lands on campus and would be playing in a major conference.

Sounds like you've given up all hope of Utah ever turning the program around. I understand your fascination with Oregon with that kind of attitude.

Damn you Dave Rose.
    I figured he would end up at BYU because for the reasons you state. However, I have read enough to conclude the kid played it real well as many fans of different teams, who I believe to be insiders, really believed their team had a real good shot.

But in the end, I think Loveridge recognized that BYU's style of play is a real good fit for him. He is an undersized, but highly skilled, 4 that can play both inside and out. BYU has no reservations of playing a 6'6" 4 and seems to prefer the model of taking either an undersized 4 or a large wing and playing him at the 4. It makes the team more athletic and able to get up and down the court. Loveridge really has no idea what type of system Krystkowiak will use. I think that unknown, especially when BYU's system is such a positive known in this unique case, has to really kill the Utes shot.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Damn you Dave Rose.
    To be honest I thought USU had a better chance with Loveridge than Utah did since his teammates and friends are headed up to Logan.

Isn't Loveridge the kid that just tore it up this summer in the AAU circuit?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Isn't Loveridge the kid that just tore it up this summer in the AAU circuit?
    Yes.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Yes.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    So this year BYU is looking to land Loveridge and Chapman. Chapman is mission bound out of HS, so BYU's roster next year will be:

Davies - SR
    Rogers - SR
    Zylstra - SR
    Martineau - SR
    Collinsworth - JR
    Carlino - SO
    Haws - SO
    Sharp - SO
    Harrison - SO
    Austin - SO
    Winder - SO
    Harward - FR
    Loveridge - FR

So unless either Zylstra or Martineau give up the sport after this year, BYU is done recruiting for this year. Who is BYU targetting for 2012-2013 recruiting year? My understanding is BYU has hoops offers out to the following rising JRs Talon Shumway, Nick Emery and Jabari Parker. Is BYU recruiting anyone else?
    There is always an extra schollie that will open up and one of those guys you mention may be gone. If Austin and Harward are not impressing this year, BYU has no choince but to try to bring in some tall help.

I'm not falling for the double junk punch. I've done it in the past.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me more than once, shame on me.

I'm ready to stop shaming myself.

Congrats, BYU fans.

Although, if Harmon is right, then mpfunk has egg on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I'm not falling for the double junk punch. I've done it in the past.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me more than once, shame on me.

I'm ready to stop shaming myself.

Congrats, BYU fans.
    Click on the link PU.

Grrr. I'll believe it when I see it. He's been going to practices at BYU and is friends with current players.

The Pac-12 has sold! Lizbeth honey, I am comin' to join ya!

-DOCTOR Wuap