No announcement yet.

bb recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is if Zylstra or Martineau don't get scholarships next year.

I'd say James Anderson, but Rose likes him, so I don't see it happening.

In order to keep the momentum the program has built, I think they absolutely need to pull the schollie from Zylstra and bring in a JUCO guard to help out next year, especially since Carlino won't be available until conference season.

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    Harrison is signed, Carlino is committed, and Ian Haward, and Nate Austin will be back from missions. With byu losing fredette, emery and magnusson and with Kyle Collingsworth going on a mission. Looks like we have a full roster. Is their room for one more juco guard or small forward?

Comment

Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
      There is if Zylstra or Martineau don't get scholarships next year.

I'd say James Anderson, but Rose likes him, so I don't see it happening.

In order to keep the momentum the program has built, I think they absolutely need to pull the schollie from Zylstra and bring in a JUCO guard to help out next year, especially since Carlino won't be available until conference season.
      It seems they usually find a reason someone has a career ending injury so they can keep a scholarship till they graduate. Or it shouldn't be a problem to pull Zylstra's. He came as walk on and was granted one because they had an extra one, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        It seems they usually find a reason someone has a career ending injury so they can keep a scholarship till they graduate. Or it shouldn't be a problem to pull Zylstra's. He came as walk on and was granted one because they had an extra one, right?
        Rose has pulled schollies before just because guys suck. Most recently he pulled Gavin Mcgregor and Derek Dawes schollies.
        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          Rose has pulled schollies before just because guys suck. Most recently he pulled Gavin Mcgregor and Derek Dawes schollies.
          I didn't know Dawes had his pulled. Makes sense. Still, I see Rose as reluctant to do this. Would Zylstra be the most obvious candidate? I wonder if a commitment of sort was make to Martineau post-mission.

Comment

I didn't know Dawes had his pulled. Makes sense. Still, I see Rose as reluctant to do this. Would Zylstra be the most obvious candidate? I wonder if a commitment of sort was make to Martineau post-mission.
            The basketball scholarships are for one year only. Zylstra was commenting about this in an article recently and that he has to work hard to keep it and even then no guarantees.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Dawes injuries were too bad that he couldn't play. I suppose you could still consider Rose having pulled his schollie, but it's not because Dawes was bad. He was that, but he quit because of injuries.

Comment

With all the recruiting talk today I got to thinking about an old friend. He was a stud in his day though only 6 feet tall. I googled his kid's name because I heard a few years back that he was killing it in AAU in Nevada. Looks like the D-news just did a feature on him. He's short like his dad was but sounds like he can play. No D1 offers yet but apparently all the Utah schools are at least watching. Sounds like he's the local Jimmer in his little Nevada town.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...lent.html?pg=1

Last December, BYU assistant Dave Rice even made the 10-hour, round-trip drive from Provo in the middle of a snowstorm to see Walker score 43 points and sink 10 3-pointers against Enterprise.

But Walker continues to be one of those watch-and-follow prospects. Realistically, unless he fills out and gets stronger, he's probably going to be asked by the bigger schools to either walk on or prove himself first at a junior college.

Walker is hopeful that a strong senior season will give him a better option.

"I've always wanted to sign D-I, but if I have to go to a JC first or walk on, then that's what I have to do. I hope I don't have to go that route, but I will if I need to," he said.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                  With all the recruiting talk today I got to thinking about an old friend. He was a stud in his day though only 6 feet tall. I googled his kid's name because I heard a few years back that he was killing it in AAU in Nevada. Looks like the D-news just did a feature on him. He's short like his dad was but sounds like he can play. No D1 offers yet but apparently all the Utah schools are at least watching. Sounds like he's the local Jimmer in his little Nevada town.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...lent.html?pg=1
                  I loved that story. I hope the kid walks on at BYU. Could be another JC Carrol.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                    The only reason Boylen hasn't offered this kid is because Boylen knows he won't be the coach when the kid gets back off his mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      I hope he walks on at BYU as well. I have a feeling he'll wind up with an offer somewhere else though. That was a smart move to play AAU in Utah this past year. I'm guessing that's how he got the D-news pub.

Was wondering if some of our Vegas guys could comment on this piece of the story:

The Lynx played three Nevada 4A schools last year and Walker scored more than 40 twice, even dumping 47 on Chaparral High out of Las Vegas.
                      Is Chaparral High a big time Vegas school?
                      Last edited by SteelBlue; 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Was wondering if some of our Vegas guys could comment on this piece of the story:

Its no Findley Prep or Gorman. I don't know much about it other than where it is, which is right off the 515/95 at about Charleston in a not good area of town. Its not a small school, I don't think.

I noticed that this kid is only 5'10". How tall is his dad? He's going to have a hard time at any school unless he grows a few more inches.

Also, its nice to put a face on KLNR Panaca (KTPH Tonopah).
                        Last edited by falafel; 12-29-2010, 10:25 AM.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I hope he walks on at BYU as well. I have a feeling he'll wind up with an offer somewhere else though. That was a smart move to play AAU in Utah this past year. I'm guessing that's how he got the D-news pub.

I know Chaparral is a good sized public school but they don't seem to be a dominant force in producing D-1 players.

Comment

Chapparel is a white flight school

mostly hispanics now, and not many blacks. So the basketball is probably mediocre.

Comment

Dantley Walker dropped 73 last week. It's the third time he's gone over 60 this season. That is the new Nevada HS single game record. He also already broke Luke Babbit's career record.

You can watch the game here:

http://www.lctsys.com/html/lchsportal_ondemand.html
                              Last edited by Surfah; 02-10-2011, 04:15 PM.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                Dantley Walker dropped 73 last week. It's the third time he's gone over 60 this season. That is the new Nevada HS single game record. He also already broke Luke Babbit's career record.

You can watch the game here:

http://www.lctsys.com/html/lchsportal_ondemand.html
                                I'd rather give a kid like this a chance than use a schollie on a guy like Martineau (who is a great guy, I'm sure).
                                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Working...
                                X