Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2100

Thread: bb recruiting

Has anyone seen Bernardo Da Silva play? What are your impressions? What should we expect from him at BYU?

I'm guessing that nobody here has seen Shengzhe Li in action, but, if so, I'd like to hear what you think about him, too.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Has anyone seen Bernardo Da Silva play? What are your impressions? What should we expect from him at BYU?

I'm guessing that nobody here has seen Shengzhe Li in action, but, if so, I'd like to hear what you think about him, too.
    I have played pickup ball against Bernardo. Also ironically played pickleball against him. I have seen him play a few times.

He is lean.

Even though he is 6'9 he does not play with his back to the basket. He shoots a lot of face up jumpers. Almost everything is midrange. If he gets it in the post, he is going to face up.

He is a good passer. But not a great rebounder.

HIs midrange game is smooth, but he doesn't have range to the 3pt line.

I think hes a project.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I have played pickup ball against Bernardo. Also ironically played pickleball against him. I have seen him play a few times.

He is lean.

Even though he is 6'9 he does not play with his back to the basket. He shoots a lot of face up jumpers. Almost everything is midrange. If he gets it in the post, he is going to face up.

He is a good passer. But not a great rebounder.

HIs midrange game is smooth, but he doesn't have range to the 3pt line.

I think hes a project.
    How are his hops?

I agree that he’s a project. I also think he’s an access point to Madi Sissoko.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I agree that he’s a project. I also think he’s an access point to Madi Sissoko.
    just noticed Richie Saunders, who starred at Riverton as a sophomore has transferred to Wasatch Acadamy - maybe they can pull him in as well. though something tells me he made the move to WA in order to increase his visibility so he can go bigger/better.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    just noticed Richie Saunders, who starred at Riverton as a sophomore has transferred to Wasatch Acadamy - maybe they can pull him in as well. though something tells me he made the move to WA in order to increase his visibility so he can go bigger/better.
    I think a couple of WA guys went to LPHS and a couple of LP guys went to Wasatch with Evans replacing Condie. It’s a weird world out there.

Maybe I’m missing something but Jeremy Dowdell at Olympus seems like the real deal to me.

Went to the game against Skyline yesterday and the dude was shooting it like Klay Thompson. Rylan Jones had his usual great game but nobody would watch that game and not think Dowdell is the better player.

NBA range 3s in traffic when being crowded by a 6’6” defender? No problem. Layups and runners in traffic? The dude never missed.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he has a lot of success at a D-1 program eventually even though it looks like his offers are just Air Force and Dixie State? I don’t get it.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Maybe I’m missing something but Jeremy Dowdell at Olympus seems like the real deal to me.

Went to the game against Skyline yesterday and the dude was shooting it like Klay Thompson. Rylan Jones had his usual great game but nobody would watch that game and not think Dowdell is the better player.

NBA range 3s in traffic when being crowded by a 6’6” defender? No problem. Layups and runners in traffic? The dude never missed.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he has a lot of success at a D-1 program eventually even though it looks like his offers are just Air Force and Dixie State? I don’t get it.
    What is his upside? Does he exhibit athleticism? Is he a finished player with no room for improvement?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Is he a finished player with no room for improvement?
    WTF? What kind of question is that? Besides dumb, I mean.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I'm amazed he shoots as well as he does with his shot.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Had the exact same thoughts watching him earlier this year against my son's team. He hit seven three pointers in one quarter. A couple of them were circus type shots six feet behind the line fall away with hand in his face type. He was so hot, he was just flinging it every time he touched it and they were all going in. Averages 29.5 a game. He's been doing it since he's a sophomore. To me, Rylan Jones is by far the better player. Rylan is the best Utah high school basketball player I've ever watched, including the Lone Peak boys. His court vision combined with how smooth he is with the ball is unreal. But Dowdell seems like an obvious D1 player. I can't believe he doesn't have better offers. This year I've seen the Timpview kid with scholarship to BYU and the kid from Ridgeline the new school in Logan with scholarship to USU and I would take Dowdell in a heartbeat over those two.

and that's basically how it is every game. iirc, he had 28 in that game and it was the first time he'd scored less than 30 in a long time. but i do agree with surfah that the shooting stroke is a little strange - but yeah, it goes in. the only explanation i have is that he's smallish for an off guard, fairly thick - athletic upside isn't great. but he's consistently the best player on that team and has to be the best scorer in the state right now.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

and speaking of recruits, wasatch academy played in a tournament at Montverde this past weekend, won their first game and then got taken to the woodshed in their last two games of the tourney. surprising as i thought this might be their best team, but bernardo da silva was pretty much non-existent. he's been an afterthought mostly on that team over the course of the entire year, but they've been blowing people out, so i've never thought much of it. but when they needed somebody to step up against great competition, apparently he wasn't up to the task.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I'm amazed he shoots as well as he does with his shot.
    His shot looks a little weird in the video on Maxpreps but it looks a little more conventional and polished now.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Dowdell ends up at UVU and torches BYU for 30 in a few years.

Bump. He’s coming to BYU (after mission) and I predict that he will eventually be a starter or at least a solid contributor.

Bump. He’s coming to BYU (after mission) and I predict that he will eventually be a starter or at least a solid contributor.
    agreed. i think he is being underrated. he's not your average HS shooting star. he's a uniquely great shooter with a quick release. will he still be after his mission? that is the question. when i hear a kid is doing the mish, i always temper my expectations.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Walk-on or scholarship?

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Walk-on or scholarship?
    Sounds like a PWO spot (at least at first).

I read something on Twitter today that he told the coaching staff he'd rather pay his own way if the scholarship allows them to go out and get someone big.

seems like a good sign if players who could get a scholarship to play somewhere else are willing to walk on for us. So far Pope seems to be successfully winning over the recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    seems like a good sign if players who could get a scholarship to play somewhere else are willing to walk on for us. So far Pope seems to be successfully winning over the recruits.
    Agree. That's a great pick up for a walk on.

When will the NCAA deny Harward's request for a waiver? I am pretty bully on next year's squad to be about as good as the Dave Rose teams through Jimmer's SO year but if Harward plays I think BYU could be good enough to win a 1st round game.

Is there any schedule or consistency as to when the NCAA rules on these types of things? I am assuming Harward doesn't have a prayer but perhaps he does.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    When will the NCAA deny Harward's request for a waiver? I am pretty bully on next year's squad to be about as good as the Dave Rose teams through Jimmer's SO year but if Harward plays I think BYU could be good enough to win a 1st round game.

Is there any schedule or consistency as to when the NCAA rules on these types of things? I am assuming Harward doesn't have a prayer but perhaps he does.
    My observation is that most of the time the NCAA seems to say no. When they grant the waiver it's usually because the kid is losing a scholarship at their current school like when we had that player who transferred to Clemson after his scholarship was given to someone else because he thought he was going on a mission, or if there is a pretty severe hardship situation like they have an ailing parent in another state they want to be closer to, etc. I don't know what Harward's case could be that would make it different than just another garden variety transfer. His coach left, but dozens of coaches do that every year, and to this point the NCAA has not yet allowed easy transfers under that scenario.
    Last edited by BlueK; 07-10-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Caleb loehner picks Utah.

That sucks. Hard. What a terrible choice.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Caleb loehner picks Utah.

That sucks. Hard. What a terrible choice.
    He'll transfer after a year to some other program.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Lohner is a huge miss for BYU and Pope. Especially with him choosing utah over the Y. Lohner is going to be very, very good. hell, he already is. just need to get him playing college ball.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Lohner is a huge miss for BYU and Pope. Especially with him choosing utah over the Y. Lohner is going to be very, very good. hell, he already is. just need to get him playing college ball.
    Even if not BYU, he had MUCH better choices than Utah available.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Even if not BYU, he had MUCH better choices than Utah available.
    yep. had he chosen kansas, i don't think i'd be so bummed - wouldn't even have seen it as a loss. i honestly think he's a 5 star talent, but by choosing utah, he obviously sees himself as about a 3 star talent, which makes me think byu did have a chance and they did in fact lose him.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Why did he pick Utah? This is a really odd choice. I could see why Jordan Loveridge picked Utah but I am really surprised BYU missed on this one.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

yep. had he chosen kansas, i don't think i'd be so bummed - wouldn't even have seen it as a loss. i honestly think he's a 5 star talent, but by choosing utah, he obviously sees himself as about a 3 star talent, which makes me think byu did have a chance and they did in fact lose him.
    Who knows, maybe he and Pope just didn't hit it off. But if he does only see himself as a 3 star talent and he's therefore looking for a small pond he can be a big fish in, maybe that isn't ideal for BYU or Pope's style either.