Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 2035

Thread: bb recruiting

  1. #1

    Default bb recruiting

    Outside of Harrison, who has byu offered? I know of Brett Kingma. It looks like it is going to be tough to keep him away from Oregon, Washington and or even Gonzaga,

    There is some 6-10 center out of Indiana, dont know if he has an offer.
    Tyrone Corbin's kid may get an offer.

    Anyone have anything to add? bball recruirting goes underreported
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  2. #2
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,563

    Default

    Kingma is taking his official visit to Eugene in 2 weeks. With the state of Oregon basketball right now I would be shocked to see him end up here, players leaving, not winning, things are in chaos. I'll post any report given of his trip.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  3. #3

    Default

    Harrison took his official recruiting trip to BYU this weekend and attended the BYU/UW game with members of the BB team. Conveniently, his next recruiting trip is scheduled for 9/18 at Florida State. You think his FSU hosts will take him to the game?

  4. #4
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Harrison took his official recruiting trip to BYU this weekend and attended the BYU/UW game with members of the BB team. Conveniently, his next recruiting trip is scheduled for 9/18 at Florida State. You think his FSU hosts will take him to the game?
    Do you think these are his hosts(esses)?

    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Do you think these are his hosts(esses)?

    I hope they find cuter girls than that. Sterger needs a serious nose job.
    *Banned*

  6. #6
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I hope they find cuter girls than that. Sterger needs a serious nose job.
    Pretty dang good lookin smiles if you ask me.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I hope they find cuter girls than that. Sterger needs a serious nose job.
    I didn't notice. Did she have a nose?

  8. #8
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,563

    Default

    Kingma is a Duck, not sure how it effects (or is that one affects?) BYU, but to a Duck program that has been basically destroyed over the last 6 months this is some good news.
    http://oregon.scout.com/2/1005817.html
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  9. #9

    Default

    With Kingma going to Oregon and BYU snagging Harrison, who is the last piece of the class? Anyone know who their targets might be? I hoping they agressively go after a juco combo guard.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  10. #10
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    BYU is looking at a number of possible pgs in the class of 2011. Kingma was the best of the group. Ty Corbin is the next best in the group but has not yet received an offer (presumably while BYU waited on Kingma). Corbin is 6-1 and has good skills and game awareness. Similar to Corbin is Corbin Miller from Brighton High. Miller is another 6-1 pg who BYU has not offered while waiting on Kingma. Miller, like Corbin, has a number of good offers on the table.

    I don't expect Jared Smoot of Indiana will get an offer. Not only is he a project, he is not one of the slender F/C types we have been offering. He is built in the mode of a pure center and will probably end up at Utah or at one of the Indiana schools.

  11. #11
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Class of 2012 is highlighted by two interesting prospects. The primary target is Roscoe Allen. Out of Bishop Gorman, Allen is a Lee Cummard clone but is not LDS. Allen would be a huge get and frankly, I don't see us getting him. My bet is the WCC shift will cost us this kid.

    We are also looking at Shabazz Muhammad of Bishop Gorman but I don't believe Muhammad is looking at us.

    Jordan Chatman is a much better chance than either of the Gorman products. He is the son of Jeff Chatman and has been scoring in bunches since he entered HS. He is 6-4 with long arms and a deep stroke. He is perfect for our system and seems like he will be the best pick up in the class.

    I expect we will also go after West Jordan's Jordan Loveridge if he continues to develop.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    Class of 2012 is highlighted by two interesting prospects. The primary target is Roscoe Allen. Out of Bishop Gorman, Allen is a Lee Cummard clone but is not LDS. Allen would be a huge get and frankly, I don't see us getting him. My bet is the WCC shift will cost us this kid.

    We are also looking at Shabazz Muhammad of Bishop Gorman but I don't believe Muhammad is looking at us.

    Jordan Chatman is a much better chance than either of the Gorman products. He is the son of Jeff Chatman and has been scoring in bunches since he entered HS. He is 6-4 with long arms and a deep stroke. He is perfect for our system and seems like he will be the best pick up in the class.

    I expect we will also go after West Jordan's Jordan Loveridge if he continues to develop.
    My buddy is an assistant high school coach for a team that smoked Bishop Gorman this past year. I need to get the BYU coaches down there visiting my his team. When I told him BYU was looking at some of the kids on the BG roster, he said he wasn't too impressed with them.
    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
    —Abraham Maslow

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    Class of 2012 is highlighted by two interesting prospects. The primary target is Roscoe Allen. Out of Bishop Gorman, Allen is a Lee Cummard clone but is not LDS. Allen would be a huge get and frankly, I don't see us getting him. My bet is the WCC shift will cost us this kid.

    We are also looking at Shabazz Muhammad of Bishop Gorman but I don't believe Muhammad is looking at us.

    Jordan Chatman is a much better chance than either of the Gorman products. He is the son of Jeff Chatman and has been scoring in bunches since he entered HS. He is 6-4 with long arms and a deep stroke. He is perfect for our system and seems like he will be the best pick up in the class.

    I expect we will also go after West Jordan's Jordan Loveridge if he continues to develop.
    Shabazz is an ultra-elite prospect. When Roy Williams is flying to Vegas to recruit a kid, he's not going to even sniff BYU.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
    My buddy is an assistant high school coach for a team that smoked Bishop Gorman this past year. I need to get the BYU coaches down there visiting my his team. When I told him BYU was looking at some of the kids on the BG roster, he said he wasn't too impressed with them.
    Your buddy coaches for Findlay Prep?

    Findlay is obviously loaded, mostly with players that would never ever consider BYU. But I find it hard to believe he still wouldn't have been impressed with Shabazz or Allen given the list of college teams that are impressed enough to offer scholarships to those two so far.

  15. #15
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
    My buddy is an assistant high school coach for a team that smoked Bishop Gorman this past year. I need to get the BYU coaches down there visiting my his team. When I told him BYU was looking at some of the kids on the BG roster, he said he wasn't too impressed with them.
    Send coach an email. I sent coach an email one time with information regarding a couple players that I thought were good and that I knew were LDS. He was in the home of one of them and put an offer on the table within two weeks of my email. If you have a contact within our recruiting sphere (LDS or mountain west region) coach will have someone look at the recommendation.

    One the subject of Roscoe and Shabazz, your buddy might be the only person not impressed with them. They are highly rated by almost every recruiting service. That doesn't mean they are can't miss but they have definitely been evaluated by many different people who all thought they could play.

  16. #16
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
    Shabazz is an ultra-elite prospect. When Roy Williams is flying to Vegas to recruit a kid, he's not going to even sniff BYU.
    I know. That's why I said we were looking at him but he wasn't looking at us. Rosco Allen has appreciated the interest we have in him and likes our style of play but he has become big time too. We get kids at his level if they are LDS. Muhammad we wouldn't get unless his father was a GA.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    Send coach an email. I sent coach an email one time with information regarding a couple players that I thought were good and that I knew were LDS. He was in the home of one of them and put an offer on the table within two weeks of my email. If you have a contact within our recruiting sphere (LDS or mountain west region) coach will have someone look at the recommendation.

    One the subject of Roscoe and Shabazz, your buddy might be the only person not impressed with them. They are highly rated by almost every recruiting service. That doesn't mean they are can't miss but they have definitely been evaluated by many different people who all thought they could play.
    The only coach's email I had was for Wardenburg. He actually flew down to take a look at one of their players I recommended a few years back. Can you boardmail me a current email address? My buddy coaches at Centennial High School in Corona, CA. They really only beat them by 17, but they didn't even run any of their set plays. They also didn't have one of their best players for the game. ESPN recently came to do an article about Centennial. They said they have one of the top 5 best pg's in the West.
    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
    —Abraham Maslow

  18. #18

    Default

    What about the kid from the midwest I think he's in the 2012 class. I remember seeing a piece on him a year or two ago. He's very tall and athletic (7'0"?) but very raw, like he just started playing bball. LDS I believe.

  19. #19
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    Class of 2012 is highlighted by two interesting prospects. The primary target is Roscoe Allen. Out of Bishop Gorman, Allen is a Lee Cummard clone but is not LDS. Allen would be a huge get and frankly, I don't see us getting him. My bet is the WCC shift will cost us this kid.

    We are also looking at Shabazz Muhammad of Bishop Gorman but I don't believe Muhammad is looking at us.

    Jordan Chatman is a much better chance than either of the Gorman products. He is the son of Jeff Chatman and has been scoring in bunches since he entered HS. He is 6-4 with long arms and a deep stroke. He is perfect for our system and seems like he will be the best pick up in the class.

    I expect we will also go after West Jordan's Jordan Loveridge if he continues to develop.
    Chatman would be a perfect fit. He recently cracked the ESPN top 100 and is rated #10 at his position.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  20. #20
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
    The only coach's email I had was for Wardenburg. He actually flew down to take a look at one of their players I recommended a few years back. Can you boardmail me a current email address? My buddy coaches at Centennial High School in Corona, CA. They really only beat them by 17, but they didn't even run any of their set plays. They also didn't have one of their best players for the game. ESPN recently came to do an article about Centennial. They said they have one of the top 5 best pg's in the West.
    I think his address is in the public domain dave_rose@byu.edu

  21. #21
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    What about the kid from the midwest I think he's in the 2012 class. I remember seeing a piece on him a year or two ago. He's very tall and athletic (7'0"?) but very raw, like he just started playing bball. LDS I believe.
    That's Smoot from Indiana. I think he is a poor fit for BYU. I think Rose would prefer a basketball player who is a little too skinny over a less skilled guy. Also Smoot is 6'10" and like 240. He will be a bit beefy for what BYU does.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I think his address is in the public domain dave_rose@byu.edu
    Haha. Hadn't thought of that.
    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
    —Abraham Maslow

  23. #23
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
    Haha. Hadn't thought of that.
    there is an underscore between the dave and the rose.

  24. #24

    Default

    How about Jabari?

    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../jabari-parker

    Watching a few highlight videos of Jabari. He is not a great athlete but he is really skilled and has great fundamentals. The best comparison I could come up with is a Paul Pierce type player. Great mid-range game, can get to the rim if he needs too. He would fit in very well at BYU.
    Last edited by cougjunkie; 10-12-2010 at 10:09 AM.
    *Banned*

  25. #25
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    How about Jabari?

    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../jabari-parker

    Watching a few highlight videos of Jabari. He is not a great athlete but he is really skilled and has great fundamentals. The best comparison I could come up with is a Paul Pierce type player. Great mid-range game, can get to the rim if he needs too. He would fit in very well at BYU.
    Jabari is in the class after Roscoe Allen and Chatman. I think we have <10% chance of getting him. He is more highly touted than anyone else in this thread including Shabazz.

  26. #26

    Default

    Another player BYU has followed the last two years is Dantley Walker from Lincoln County in Nevada. He only plays at the 2A level, plays against some really bad competition, and doesn't have much help on his own team. He's 5'11" and as a junior he averaged 33 ppg and 9.6 apg.

    My BIL plays two games against Lincoln County each year, and he played with Walker two summers ago in some tournaments in Vegas. Sounds like at this point BYU has told him he can either walk-on or should go the JC route to prove what he can do against superior competition.

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    Jabari is in the class after Roscoe Allen and Chatman. I think we have <10% chance of getting him. He is more highly touted than anyone else in this thread including Shabazz.
    Not according to ESPN. According to ESPN.com Shabazz is the number 1 SF in the country and a top 5 player. They have Jabari in 2013 as the number 12 player in the country.
    *Banned*

  28. #28
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Not according to ESPN. According to ESPN.com Shabazz is the number 1 SF in the country and a top 5 player. They have Jabari in 2013 as the number 12 player in the country.
    Wow! I didn't realize Shabazz had climbed so high. I knew he was highly touted at his position but I didn't think he was #1 at his position.

  29. #29

    Default

    http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=14667
    with the early signees being announced, is byu after any other players, like a juco guard?
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  30. #30

    Default

    Harrison is signed, Carlino is committed, and Ian Haward, and Nate Austin will be back from missions. With byu losing fredette, emery and magnusson and with Kyle Collingsworth going on a mission. Looks like we have a full roster. Is their room for one more juco guard or small forward?
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •