bb recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
    Shabazz is an ultra-elite prospect. When Roy Williams is flying to Vegas to recruit a kid, he's not going to even sniff BYU.
    I know. That's why I said we were looking at him but he wasn't looking at us. Rosco Allen has appreciated the interest we have in him and likes our style of play but he has become big time too. We get kids at his level if they are LDS. Muhammad we wouldn't get unless his father was a GA.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
      Send coach an email. I sent coach an email one time with information regarding a couple players that I thought were good and that I knew were LDS. He was in the home of one of them and put an offer on the table within two weeks of my email. If you have a contact within our recruiting sphere (LDS or mountain west region) coach will have someone look at the recommendation.

One the subject of Roscoe and Shabazz, your buddy might be the only person not impressed with them. They are highly rated by almost every recruiting service. That doesn't mean they are can't miss but they have definitely been evaluated by many different people who all thought they could play.
      The only coach's email I had was for Wardenburg. He actually flew down to take a look at one of their players I recommended a few years back. Can you boardmail me a current email address? My buddy coaches at Centennial High School in Corona, CA. They really only beat them by 17, but they didn't even run any of their set plays. They also didn't have one of their best players for the game. ESPN recently came to do an article about Centennial. They said they have one of the top 5 best pg's in the West.
      "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
      —Abraham Maslow

Comment

What about the kid from the midwest I think he's in the 2012 class. I remember seeing a piece on him a year or two ago. He's very tall and athletic (7'0"?) but very raw, like he just started playing bball. LDS I believe.

Comment

Class of 2012 is highlighted by two interesting prospects. The primary target is Roscoe Allen. Out of Bishop Gorman, Allen is a Lee Cummard clone but is not LDS. Allen would be a huge get and frankly, I don't see us getting him. My bet is the WCC shift will cost us this kid.

We are also looking at Shabazz Muhammad of Bishop Gorman but I don't believe Muhammad is looking at us.

Jordan Chatman is a much better chance than either of the Gorman products. He is the son of Jeff Chatman and has been scoring in bunches since he entered HS. He is 6-4 with long arms and a deep stroke. He is perfect for our system and seems like he will be the best pick up in the class.

I expect we will also go after West Jordan's Jordan Loveridge if he continues to develop.
          Chatman would be a perfect fit. He recently cracked the ESPN top 100 and is rated #10 at his position.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
            The only coach's email I had was for Wardenburg. He actually flew down to take a look at one of their players I recommended a few years back. Can you boardmail me a current email address? My buddy coaches at Centennial High School in Corona, CA. They really only beat them by 17, but they didn't even run any of their set plays. They also didn't have one of their best players for the game. ESPN recently came to do an article about Centennial. They said they have one of the top 5 best pg's in the West.
            I think his address is in the public domain dave_rose@byu.edu

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              What about the kid from the midwest I think he's in the 2012 class. I remember seeing a piece on him a year or two ago. He's very tall and athletic (7'0"?) but very raw, like he just started playing bball. LDS I believe.
              That's Smoot from Indiana. I think he is a poor fit for BYU. I think Rose would prefer a basketball player who is a little too skinny over a less skilled guy. Also Smoot is 6'10" and like 240. He will be a bit beefy for what BYU does.

Comment

I think his address is in the public domain dave_rose@byu.edu
                Haha. Hadn't thought of that.
                "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                  Haha. Hadn't thought of that.
                  there is an underscore between the dave and the rose.

Comment

How about Jabari?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../jabari-parker

Watching a few highlight videos of Jabari. He is not a great athlete but he is really skilled and has great fundamentals. The best comparison I could come up with is a Paul Pierce type player. Great mid-range game, can get to the rim if he needs too. He would fit in very well at BYU.
                    Last edited by cougjunkie; 10-12-2010, 10:09 AM.
                    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      How about Jabari?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../jabari-parker

Watching a few highlight videos of Jabari. He is not a great athlete but he is really skilled and has great fundamentals. The best comparison I could come up with is a Paul Pierce type player. Great mid-range game, can get to the rim if he needs too. He would fit in very well at BYU.
                      Jabari is in the class after Roscoe Allen and Chatman. I think we have <10% chance of getting him. He is more highly touted than anyone else in this thread including Shabazz.

Comment

Another player BYU has followed the last two years is Dantley Walker from Lincoln County in Nevada. He only plays at the 2A level, plays against some really bad competition, and doesn't have much help on his own team. He's 5'11" and as a junior he averaged 33 ppg and 9.6 apg.

My BIL plays two games against Lincoln County each year, and he played with Walker two summers ago in some tournaments in Vegas. Sounds like at this point BYU has told him he can either walk-on or should go the JC route to prove what he can do against superior competition.

Comment

Jabari is in the class after Roscoe Allen and Chatman. I think we have <10% chance of getting him. He is more highly touted than anyone else in this thread including Shabazz.
                          Not according to ESPN. According to ESPN.com Shabazz is the number 1 SF in the country and a top 5 player. They have Jabari in 2013 as the number 12 player in the country.
                          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            Not according to ESPN. According to ESPN.com Shabazz is the number 1 SF in the country and a top 5 player. They have Jabari in 2013 as the number 12 player in the country.
                            Wow! I didn't realize Shabazz had climbed so high. I knew he was highly touted at his position but I didn't think he was #1 at his position.

Comment

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=14667
                              with the early signees being announced, is byu after any other players, like a juco guard?

Comment

Harrison is signed, Carlino is committed, and Ian Haward, and Nate Austin will be back from missions. With byu losing fredette, emery and magnusson and with Kyle Collingsworth going on a mission. Looks like we have a full roster. Is their room for one more juco guard or small forward?

Comment

Working...
                                X