The Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    There is actually a specific term for using music/sound that only emanates from a source within the scene, and I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was. I texted my film student/geek buddy earlier in the day and it is called "diegetic sound."

I really like the way they use music, and the lack thereof, in The Wire. Lately I've been really annoyed with soundtracks/scores, as I feel like they are almost a laugh-track for emotion. Like they're telling you, "ok, right now you should be feeling tense/happy/sad/emotional/whatever." Feels so manipulative.

The Wire is able carry off all those emotions, but without resorting to music as a cheap tactic. The scenes are tense/sad/gut-wrenching/happy/whatever because of the material, acting and camera work. Love it.
    I'm in the process of re-watching The Wire. Knowing that the show tries to rely on diegetic sound whenever possible, I'm surprised every time they overlay music. The scene from S1E6 where Avon, Stringer, and Stink walk through the low rises to talk with D'Angelo feels really out-of-place with the musical overlay and the slow-motion cinematography. That was my initial thought as I re-watched. But then I quickly realized how out-of-place Avon and Stringer look on the ground in the projects, and the deviation from diegetic sound made perfect sense in that instance. Clever stuff.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      I'm in the process of re-watching The Wire. Knowing that the show tries to rely on diegetic sound whenever possible, I'm surprised every time they overlay music. The scene from S1E6 where Avon, Stringer, and Stink walk through the low rises to talk with D'Angelo feels really out-of-place with the musical overlay and the slow-motion cinematography. That was my initial thought as I re-watched. But then I quickly realized how out-of-place Avon and Stringer look on the ground in the projects, and the deviation from diegetic sound made perfect sense in that instance. Clever stuff.
      Since I started birding, I'm amazed at how many times I can hear house sparrows and mourning doves calling in the outdoor scenes. I rewatched these last month when I got my Amazon FireTV working.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Did you ever get around to watching?
        Yeah, I'm watching now. I watched the first few episodes a few years ago--whatever came on the first dvd that Netflix sent me--then cancelled that part of Netflix. So...Amazon Prime!

I'm still on season 1, and like it, but I still haven't finished the Shield, which I got more into before HBO released their shows on Amazon, so it's been my go to when I feel like a cop drama.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Not just music, but other things like food. I read a blog awhile back about the use of food in the show and how they framed certain things. Pretty clever and interesting.

Here's one example when D starts talking in the car violating one of their rules. Bey pulls over and here we see the chicken and the beef.

I really love this show. If you're working through it again, it might be worth waiting for the remastered version in HD.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• Just watched S3:E8. While all of The Wire is good, the acting in this episode is just unreal.

Spoiler for Showdown!:
            That scene between McNulty and Brianna about D'Angelo's death being a murder is amazing. McNulty's "but you're the one who wanted him to do the time" drop is just brutal.

And then the closing scene--Stringer lets Avon in on the news, the ensuing grapple, Stringer's monologue while he has a crippled Avon pinned on his back, and the silent stare down as the ep closes- is just awesome all around.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I just binged watch the first 4 seasons the past 2 weeks. What a great show.

Comment

• The man who helped inspire Avon Barksdale and had a recurring role as the deacon died at age 73.

Comment

• Working from home and my son is in the media room next to my office. While at my desk here, I overheard the distinct voice of Lieutenant Daniels. Surprised, I popped out to see if the little dude is watching The Wire. Nope, he's playing Destiny... the same actor voices some narrator named "General Zavala".

It freaked me out a little. Sheesh.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    Working from home and my son is in the media room next to my office. While at my desk here, I overheard the distinct voice of Lieutenant Daniels. Surprised, I popped out to see if the little dude is watching The Wire. Nope, he's playing Destiny... the same actor voices some narrator named "General Zavala".

It freaked me out a little. Sheesh.
                    Kevin Spacey plays a main character in Call of Duty Advanced Warfare. Its not just his voice, the character looks exactly like him.

hqdefault.jpg
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• This is fun to watch.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• This is an excellent write up. I didn't really appreciate Cutty until the 3rd time through the series. Dennis is one of the few redemption stories in TW. Along with Poot selling kicks at Footlocker (just wish it has been Bodie or Wallace :sad

Edit: I'm an idiot. Bubbles is by far the best redemption story of the whole series.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/07/chad...-the-wire.html

there are more Cuttys in the world than there are Barksdales and Stringer Bells and Omars and Marlos. It’s kind of an Invisible Man complex because the dudes in the hood don’t see them no more because they’re not rocking like that. Society don’t see them because they’re ex-felons. And they themselves, a lot of times, it’s just tunnel vision
                        The fact that David Simon and Ed Burns had the wherewithal to bring these people in as consultants and then put them on the show — has it ever been done? And then Snoop [Felicia Pearson]! When Snoop said to me, “I ain’t used to white people being nice to me,” I was like, Wow. That’s as real as it gets. The condition, the circumstance, what she was up against. There will never be a show like that again because it’s married to reality in a way
                        Last edited by Art Vandelay; 07-07-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X