Last three seasons at LSU under Nick Saban:
    2002: 8-5
    2003: 13-1 and a national championship shared with USC
    2004: 9-3

First three seasons at LSU under Les Miles:
    2005: 11-2
    2006: 11-2
    2007: 12-2 and a national championship

LSU is another example of a successful team and I think Nick Saban qualifies as a marquee coach after winning part of a National Championship in 2003. LSU improved its record in Les Mile's first season and won another National Championship a couple of years later.
    Going way back to a situation comparable to Oregon is Jimmy Johnson going to Dallas and Dennis Erickson taking his place. Erickson won the national title his first year.

Also, Boise had great success replacing Koetter and Hawkins.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
      Going way back to a situation comparable to Oregon is Jimmy Johnson going to Dallas and Dennis Erickson taking his place. Erickson won the national title his first year.
      Those Miami Hurricanes teams had so much talent, I wonder if it mattered who coached them. While Miami won a NC in Erickson's first year in 1989 they had an identical record to Johnson's last year with Miami in 1988; both teams finished 11-1. The 1989 season was so long ago, Colorado was actually very good - the Buffalos were the one team that ran the table going undefeated during the regular season (Miami, Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Arkansas, Nebraska, Michigan all had one loss) before losing to Notre Dame in the Orange bowl and opening the door for another NC for Miami.

To bring this thread back to the Oregon Ducks, they seemed to turn the corner in 1989 going 8-4 with a bowl win after many years struggling. Oregon kind of dipped back down again in the early 1990s before a gradual rise to national prominence. One can look at the 2001 season and Oregon's victory over Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl as a trend indicator for both programs. Oregon continued to rise and Colorado began to fall...all the way down to the depths of eternal sorrow where Utah is now their "rival".
      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
        Those Miami Hurricanes teams had so much talent, I wonder if it mattered who coached them. While Miami won a NC in Erickson's first year in 1989 they had an identical record to Johnson's last year with Miami in 1988; both teams finished 11-1. The 1989 season was so long ago, Colorado was actually very good - the Buffalos were the one team that ran the table going undefeated during the regular season (Miami, Alabama, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Arkansas, Nebraska, Michigan all had one loss) before losing to Notre Dame in the Orange bowl and opening the door for another NC for Miami.

To bring this thread back to the Oregon Ducks, they seemed to turn the corner in 1989 going 8-4 with a bowl win after many years struggling. Oregon kind of dipped back down again in the early 1990s before a gradual rise to national prominence. One can look at the 2001 season and Oregon's victory over Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl as a trend indicator for both programs. Oregon continued to rise and Colorado began to fall...all the way down to the depths of eternal sorrow where Utah is now their "rival".
        Wasn't Musgrave Oregon's QB in '89? It's interesting how many college teams "turn the corner" when they have a good QB. Colorado with guys like Darian Hagan and Kordell Stewart is another. Similarly, it's interesting how many teams are terrible when they have a string of bad QBs.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          Wasn't Musgrave Oregon's QB in '89? It's interesting how many college teams "turn the corner" when they have a good QB. Colorado with guys like Darian Hagan and Kordell Stewart is another. Similarly, it's interesting how many teams are terrible when they have a string of bad QBs.
          It is amazing what a good QB does. Hopefully Lockie, Rodriguez or the kid they are recruiting is ready if MM leaves. Right now MM looks like he could be impossible to follow.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            It is amazing what a good QB does. Hopefully Lockie, Rodriguez or the kid they are recruiting is ready if MM leaves. Right now MM looks like he could be impossible to follow.
            Is it just me? I think MM is the best college QB I've seen in a decade. His throwing motion, zip, and accuracy make some of the pro's look shameful. And Oh, if he takes off, he's as fast as the DB's he's playing against. He's a top 5 pick for sure.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
              Is it just me? I think MM is the best college QB I've seen in a decade. His throwing motion, zip, and accuracy make some of the pro's look shameful. And Oh, if he takes off, he's as fast as the DB's he's playing against. He's a top 5 pick for sure.
              It is just you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
              *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                He's the best one I've seen since Akili Smith.

Comment

• lol, Aliotti is calling Leach low class for throwing the ball against Oregon's reserves.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-...each-low-class

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
                  "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                    lol, Aliotti is calling Leach low class for throwing the ball against Oregon's reserves.

Yeah watched the clip during Sunday School. Kinda funny, I think he was mostly talking about them running a play in the last :30 seconds but still probably good for emotional assistants to not go live post game.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• I don't get what Alliotti is mad about. The team that is losing is not suppose to be passing, and/or pull their starter? Is this kind of liking trying to bunt late in the game, against a no-hitter? I'm not smart enough to understand all these unwritten rules. Who cares if Halliday is racking up stats? I would imagine very few WSU were good enough to ever be recruited by Oregon, so WSU 1s are pretty equivalent to UO scout team

FTR: I'm still waiting to be cleared by cj, to see if I'm allowed to have Oregon as my B team. I am a legacy (my dad is an alum), and I rooted for them long before they were good, or fashionable. Until the committee approves my request, I cheer quietly.
                      Last edited by Art Vandelay; 10-20-2013, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                        lol, Aliotti is calling Leach low class for throwing the ball against Oregon's reserves.

Good heavens. What a ridiculous thing to say.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• LOL @ Allioti. How dare someone not run up the white flag when Oregon is pounding them? Good for Leach.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Stupid comment by Aliotti.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Colt Lyerla - America's Most Wanted.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...yerla/3176273/

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Idiot with talent, not the first.
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X