No announcement yet.

"Climbing is easier than hanging on" - Duck football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there many (any) examples of a successful team losing its marquee head coach, only to be even better the following season?? I get that Oregon is playing with Chip's pieces out there but I think everyone assumed that they would stumble even a little bit after Chip left.

That rain storm looked heinous. They were showing highlights of the game last night and I half expected to see Lieutenant Dan out there, cursing the sky.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Are there many (any) examples of a successful team losing its marquee head coach, only to be even better the following season?? I get that Oregon is playing with Chip's pieces out there but I think everyone assumed that they would stumble even a little bit after Chip left.

That rain storm looked heinous. They were showing highlights of the game last night and I half expected to see Lieutenant Dan out there, cursing the sky.
      BSU?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        BSU?
        Does Hawkins even coach anymore? Amazing to see his fall.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
          Does Hawkins even coach anymore? Amazing to see his fall.
          And Dirk Koetter before Hawkins.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Sark is glad they lost last week makes it easier to focus, does want to make sure his guys to avoid "woes-with-me" attitude. If Oregon wins Saturday this snapshot in time SU keeps talking about is starting to look more like at least a photo book in time.

I think in some ways it helped us," Sarkisian said of playing back-to-back top-five foes. "When you lose an emotional ballgame like we did Saturday night at Stanford, I think it was quick and easy to point out, 'Guys, we don't have time to sulk. We don't have time to sit with a woes-with-me mentality. We've got to get right back on the horse and get healthy mentally and physically'
            Oregon 31 Washington 6
            Oregon 45 Washington 21
            Oregon 34 Washington 14
            Oregon 55 Washington 34
            Oregon 44 Washington 10 (RIP Messiah of Montlake)
            Oregon 43 Washington 19
            Oregon 53 Washington 16
            Oregon 34 Washington 17
            Oregon 52 Washington 21
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

• Hi Huskies. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Imagine what Mariota could be if he just had Russell Wilson texting him! Colt quits, DAT hurt, oh well.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                Hi Huskies. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Imagine what Mariota could be if he just had Russell Wilson texting him! Colt quits, DAT hurt, oh well.

Happy for you, HFN.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  Hi Huskies. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

SeattleUte was right the tide has turned. Ducks only won by 21 points and only put up 45 points. Next year, the Huskies might make it a 2 score game.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Happy for you, HFN.
                    Don't forget Funk!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                    *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Don't forget Funk!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                      Funk and Husky are johnny come lately's.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Are there many (any) examples of a successful team losing its marquee head coach, only to be even better the following season?? I get that Oregon is playing with Chip's pieces out there but I think everyone assumed that they would stumble even a little bit after Chip left.
                        Who is BYU?
                        2000: 6-6 (last year under Edwards)
                        2001: 12-2 (first year under Crowton)
                        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Oregon and Nebraska have a home-and-home scheduled.
                          @Lincoln - Memorial Stadium: 9/17/2016
                          @Eugene - Autzen Stadium: 9/9/2017

Ducks and Cornhuskers haven't played since 1986; Nebraska has never played in Autzen Stadium.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                            Oregon and Nebraska have a home-and-home scheduled.
                            @Lincoln - Memorial Stadium: 9/17/2016
                            @Eugene - Autzen Stadium: 9/9/2017

Ducks and Cornhuskers haven't played since 1986; Nebraska has never played in Autzen Stadium.
                            I saw that this morning, that will be a fun series.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                              Who is BYU?
                              2000: 6-6 (last year under Edwards)
                              2001: 12-2 (first year under Crowton)
                              yeah, lots of people trying to hire LaVell in that 6-6 season.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

yeah, lots of people trying to hire LaVell in that 6-6 season.
                                Just trying to answer the question, but perhaps I misunderstood.
                                BYU fits the definition of a successful team and Lavell was definitely its marquee head coach, but one can argue that immediately prior to LaVell retiring, BYU was not particularly successful at 6-6.

Maybe LSU is a better example:
                                Last three seasons at LSU under Nick Saban:
                                2002: 8-5
                                2003: 13-1 and a national championship shared with USC
                                2004: 9-3

First three seasons at LSU under Les Miles:
                                2005: 11-2
                                2006: 11-2
                                2007: 12-2 and a national championship

LSU is another example of a successful team and I think Nick Saban qualifies as a marquee coach after winning part of a National Championship in 2003. LSU improved its record in Les Mile's first season and won another National Championship a couple of years later.

Comment

Working...
                                X