Immigration & Prop 8 from an Apostle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    My dislike for those that abuse immigration is well documented on here.

The fact that the Church call people that are in the country illegally on missions is bothersome.

They are breaking the law.

I almost didn't get to go because I messed around with girls. My Stake President made me wait 3 months after my first interview with him because my "relationship" with my youngest brother wasn't in accordance to the gospel. (We didn't like each other and fist fought frequently.)

So I had to patch shit up with him and wait 3 months for my 2nd interview.

Then...the Church wasn't going to let me serve a mission because I was too fat.

So illegals getting to serve is bullshit.
    Tick, I actually agree with you about calling undocumented aliens on missions. To me, that's lending an air of legitimacy to what they're doing while claiming to uphold the law of the land.

As to the Church not allowing fat people to serve, I would've left the Church over that insult. According to current charts that I saw when I was an Exec Sec, I would've been 35 pounds over the "limit."

I got pissed off in Bishopric meeting and had to excuse myself. There were guys in my mission who had done any and everything with a girl other than getting one pregnant, and they got to serve, but I caught crap because I was fat.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      Well, the stuff you just pointed out from your experience were spiritual issues, not legal ones. If you had pointed out illegal stuff you had done, you would have made a better case for your argument.

So just exactly how anal do you want the church to be about being law-abiding? If they clamp down on legal status, what else should they start looking at that they've been conveniently ignoring for awhile?
      You don't have to be anal to make sure you aren't breaking the law.

To be the YM President I had to take a BS Boy Scout "don't be a kid toucher" class to meet the legal requirement.

I had to verify that I had enough auto insurance as to be "legal" when doing scout shit.

The Church does the legal circle jerk when it is going to benefit or protect them.

I understand that there should be a blind eye placed when it comes to baptism numbers and church membership.

Totally understandable.

Comment

Well, the stuff you just pointed out from your experience were spiritual issues, not legal ones. If you had pointed out illegal stuff you had done, you would have made a better case for your argument.

So just exactly how anal do you want the church to be about being law-abiding? If they clamp down on legal status, what else should they start looking at that they've been conveniently ignoring for awhile?
        A close friend was not allowed to serve as a result of a felony resulting from blowing up mailboxes. It was later expunged, but the first presidency thought that was reason to keep him from going.

I did not serve a mission because, even though the "process of repentance" (whatever the hell that means) had been completed, the first presidency still would have had to review my papers. I didn't think that was any of their business. Calling illegals to serve when a good portion of the church's membership doesn't think they have a right to receive emergency care at a u.s. hospital is baffling
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
          Calling illegals to serve when a good portion of the church's membership doesn't think they have a right to receive emergency care at a u.s. hospital is baffling
          You seem to be equating the the leadership with the members at large, so even if your characterization of the membership at large is accurate, you still are talking about a different group of people.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

To be the YM President I had to take a BS Boy Scout "don't be a kid toucher" class to meet the legal requirement.

I had to verify that I had enough auto insurance as to be "legal" when doing scout shit.
            Are those church standards, or the Boy Scouts of America standards?

Comment

Both.

Church required that I comply with BS regs.

If not...I couldn't drive for a campout. (No skin off of my nose) But when you have no involved parents...you have to comply.

Resistance is Futile.

Comment

You seem to be equating the the leadership with the members at large, so even if your characterization of the membership at large is accurate, you still are talking about a different group of people.
                do you honestly believe the first presidency would continue calling undocumented residents on missions if there was a mass outcry against it?

and i was more indicting the opinions of the church outside of the Q12. if you asked a member that supported deporting illegal aliens why we sponsor and send them on missions, what do you think they would say?
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Are those church standards, or the Boy Scouts of America standards?
                  Since the Church called him to be the Scoutmaster, sanctioning the program, then the'yre both.
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Both.

Church required that I comply with BS regs.

If not...I couldn't drive for a campout. (No skin off of my nose) But when you have no involved parents...you have to comply.

Resistance is Futile.
                    Does breaking the speed limit, which is against the law, preclude you from church callings? Serving a mission?
                    "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      Since the Church called him to be the Scoutmaster, sanctioning the program, then the'yre both.
                      LOL. If the Church wants to be able to charter their own troop units, they have to comply with the BSA regs in order to be recognized by the BSA.

I guaran-fricken-tee you the Church isn't the one keeping the paperwork on molestation training or car insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                        Does breaking the speed limit, which is against the law, preclude you from church callings? Serving a mission?
                        No.

Speed limits are regulated by states. Immigration (which isn't happening) is regulated Federally.

And I understand what you are attempting to say, but it is apples and oranges. Not the same but still produce.

Comment

LOL. If the Church wants to be able to charter their own troop units, they have to comply with the BSA regs in order to be recognized by the BSA.

I guaran-fricken-tee you the Church isn't the one keeping the paperwork on molestation training or car insurance.
                          This is correct and I would even revise the statement slightly. In order to be chartered as a BSA unit the designated leaders must complete the training. In order to qualify for the BSA excess policy of insurance the autos used must have qualifying primary policies and they are not allowed on BSA functions if they don't. IOW, it is not a matter of the church chartering their own units, it is a matter of the Church chartering a BSA unit.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

No.

Speed limits are regulated by states. Immigration (which isn't happening) is regulated Federally.

And I understand what you are attempting to say, but it is apples and oranges. Not the same but still produce.
                            Does it really matter if it is federal or state law? If we believe in obeying all the laws of the land, that includes state laws as well as federal, no?

How many of this young men and woman who are here illegally and serving a mission do you think came across by themselves or as adults? I imagine that a vast majority of them were children coming in to the country with their parents. Do you honestly believe that they should be punished and not allowed to serve a mission because of the actions of their parents?
                            "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

How many of this young men and woman who are here illegally and serving a mission do you think came across by themselves or as adults? I imagine that a vast majority of them were children coming in to the country with their parents. Do you honestly believe that they should be punished and not allowed to serve a mission because of the actions of their parents?
                              Stupid 2nd Article of Faith

Comment

Does it really matter if it is federal or state law? If we believe in obeying all the laws of the land, that includes state laws as well as federal, no?

If I attempted to go on a mission right now I would be disqualified. I am 6'2" 360 lbs.

My dads side of the family averages 6'6" 300 lbs. Even if I was at the family average I still couldn't serve.

Sucks that the church is picking on my when my hands are tied by genetics.

I would be interested to have someone post the height/weight limits again for missionaries.

And I am cool for the Church not giving recommends for those that speed. I don't do it. You can ask DT and my wife. They both hate going places with me because of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X