Radiohead - Nobody Does it Better
      [youtube]kHe-iwAI9BE[/youtube]
      the sexiest song ever written!

I really enjoy this cover.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=mpfunk;40830]Radiohead - Nobody Does it Better

Nice call, MP, that's your second excellent cover in the thread.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Ok, you can boo me for picking the most obvious and cliched response for this topic, but I'm doing it anyway.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0wxj0B7vsss&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0wxj0B7vsss&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Buckley just owns this thing. You hear his version and completely forget that it's a Cohen song. In fact, all the covers on Grace are outstanding.

(It should also be noted that I tend to avoid listening to this song because it usually brings me to tears)

I'll throw this one out there since I'm listening to the album as we speak and think it is a nice cover:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1UqlIBep6rk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1UqlIBep6rk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Conor Oberst sings Dylan's part on the album, but I couldn't find a clip with him in it. There was one with Ben Gibbard filling in for him, but the sound quality was horrible.

And of course my favorite artist collides with my father's favorite:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fAz54YWw6I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fAz54YWw6I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            I feel ashamed to admit this for some reason, but I kind of liked the Ataris doing Boys of Summer:

[YOUTUBE]DxkLHAJ6w-0[/YOUTUBE]
            Seeing a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac would be cooler than a Deadhead one.
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
              holy crap! you are insanely hot!

sigpic

Comment

Ok, you can boo me for picking the most obvious and cliched response for this topic, but I'm doing it anyway.

Buckley just owns this thing. You hear his version and completely forget that it's a Cohen song. In fact, all the covers on Grace are outstanding.
                Wasn't this song in Shrek? It is in some cartoon, but I can't remember which one.

I'll throw this one out there since I'm listening to the album as we speak and think it is a nice cover:
                Hey, I just realized that it is called Spaceland because that is the stage at Spaceland in LA. duh.

sigpic

Comment

Tricky – Black Steel (covering Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos)

[YOUTUBE]Wu8LpalUelY[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

The Yorke cover of after the gold rush is pretty good. I was at that concert (and once I get to say that instead of Triplet; amazing) and it was pretty good. I try to get to all the bridge school concerts; they are almost always good shows.
                    Last edited by creekster; 02-21-2009, 04:48 PM.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

The whole notion of covers is very interesting. I once read somebody analyze American culture. They said that in American culture we are always looking for the next new thing. Once something is old, we discard it. IN other cultures, they tend to try to perfect the old thing; they communicate with the past by learning what was unique, what was essential, about the thing the ancestors did and try to improve on it, but also to capture it again. So you do an old song again, and again, or a traditional dance over and over. I suppose covers, if you remove the crass attempts at simply selling records (and yes, as a matter of fact, I was thinking of the Ataris as an example here), are a version of trying to get the thing right, of trying to communicate across generational lines. So a new artist takes what another gnereation has done, and tries to find the the essence, or the groove, or the idea in the art and express it again.

So a great cover is likely to either take the essence and re-interpret it, without losing it, or to re-create it almost exactly being successful only if it captures the same emotion, or the same idea, as the original.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Sheryl Crow did the worst cover ever when she bastardized Sweet Child O' Mine.

Anyone who likes her version is a FLAMING homo.

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                          Maybe. I think it undermines the point a little, but I suppose if you are of a certain age they say different things.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
                            Sheryl Crow did the worst cover ever when she bastardized Sweet Child O' Mine.

Anyone who likes her version is a FLAMING homo.
                            I think Sheryl Crows version is not bad. It is a different feel but I guess I prefer to listen to her than a pudgy sour ball with a nappy on his head. It would have been nice to have some guitar work instead of the mighty Wurlitzer solo in the middle of the song, however.

I am not ashamed to say this because, although I can't recall why, I know you have already inducted me into the 'flaming' club before.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              The Yorke cover of after the gold rush is pretty good. I was at that concert (and once I get to say that instead of Triplet; amazing) and it was pretty good. I try to get to all the bridge school concerts; they are almost always good shows.
                              you went to a radiohead concert? serious?

sigpic

Comment

Buckley's cover of Hallelujah is awesome. That song is amazing.

I also think Cash's version of Hurt is incredible as well.

I've posted this before but I love this cover:

[YOUTUBE]8-8nkkOA_AM[/YOUTUBE]

As far as punk covers, I don't think any of them can be taken seriously. That said, there's a place in my heart for Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. I always liked their cover of One Tin Soldier.

Bruddah Iz did this one well:

[YOUTUBE]D68ymfjpw98[/YOUTUBE]

And I liked the arrangement here by Johansen:

[YOUTUBE]E4axKHtMNKw[/YOUTUBE]
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X