No announcement yet.

Official 49ers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vernon Davis perfectly verbalizing why Harbaugh is starting Kaep over Smith.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6lwqBwuSY"]Vernon Davis on Colin Kaepernick - YouTube[/nomedia]

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      Looks like it will be CK regardless of Alex Smith's health. Crazy to think that as well has Smith has played for the last 20+ games this year and last, he's being benched in favor of a guy who has one very good start under his belt. I can see where Harbaugh is coming from, he obviously likes Kaepernick and wants him to be the guy, but I'm a bit surprised he actually pulled the trigger.
      Yep.

I'm surprised too.

I realize that Harbaugh drafted CK and he saw him as the quarterback he could develop for the future.

With the way Smith has played, I thought conventional wisdom would lean towards staying with Smith.

Makes me wonder what they are seeing in practice.

I like Alex, and feel bad for him and what he's endured in San Francisco, but damn... he's made millions, he'll be OK.
      "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
      -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
      -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

• So, Kap has to get them to the Super Bowl for this to be a decision that makes any sense to do in season to the #3 rated passer in the league right? Harbaugh flirts with the line between crazy and crazy like a fox. This seems like an awfully kneejerk decision to make based on a performance that really came under ideal circumstances.

Perhaps they can blame Smith not being ready due to the concussion if Kap loses @NO, but with this being as public as it has been, do they just go back to Smith if Kap does get beat this weekend?
        "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
          So, Kap has to get them to the Super Bowl for this to be a decision that makes any sense to do in season to the #3 rated passer in the league right? Harbaugh flirts with the line between crazy and crazy like a fox. This seems like an awfully kneejerk decision to make based on a performance that really came under ideal circumstances.

Perhaps they can blame Smith not being ready due to the concussion if Kap loses @NO, but with this being as public as it has been, do they just go back to Smith if Kap does get beat this weekend?
          Smith's whole career revival came under "ideal circumstances", if Harbaugh doesn't come around there is a good chance he'd be a holding clipboard for the rest of his career somewhere.

Comment

So, Kap has to get them to the Super Bowl for this to be a decision that makes any sense to do in season to the #3 rated passer in the league right? Harbaugh flirts with the line between crazy and crazy like a fox. This seems like an awfully kneejerk decision to make based on a performance that really came under ideal circumstances.

Isn't it possible that Smith will be back after he's medically cleared? I heard he wasn't cleared yet. I agree that it would be weird to drop a guy who's completed - what? - 25 of his last 27 passes, or some crazy stat like that. Anyway, it's pro sports. Money rules even more than in college.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
              Smith's whole career revival came under "ideal circumstances", if Harbaugh doesn't come around there is a good chance he'd be a holding clipboard for the rest of his career somewhere.
              We're talking about a sample size of one game versus about twenty to twenty five...not all of which likely came under ideal circumstances (my opinion of course). His performance vs. NO in the playoffs alone show that he is far more than a B- QB at this point. Harbaugh gets the bulk of the credit, as does the organization for sticking with him, but he is still the one in there making the throws and going what? 19, 20 and 5 or 6 over the last two seasons. Trying to justify this move based on performance just doesn't add up numbers wise, so like I said, he is either crazy, or crazy like a fox.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                Which would make him 10x better than Jake.
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Game just kicked off, it'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Comment

• Impressive TD drive there.

Comment

Impressive TD drive there.
                      CK is looking legit - if he can put a complete game together on the road, in a hostile environment, against a hungry team w/ playoff aspirations... I'll be sold.

I feel bad for Smith. His performance in the past two seasons has improved steadily and it looked like he'd finally found his NFL stride. If CK keeps rising then Alex is going to be looking for a new home.
                      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                        CK is looking legit - if he can put a complete game together on the road, in a hostile environment, against a hungry team w/ playoff aspirations... I'll be sold.

I feel bad for Smith. His performance in the past two seasons has improved steadily and it looked like he'd finally found his NFL stride. If CK keeps rising then Alex is going to be looking for a new home.
                        Agree. It appears that Harbaugh was simply waiting for an opening and Smith has played well enough to not give it to him, but this injury allowed CK to show what he can do, and if he can keep it up, it's over for Smith in San Fran.

Comment

Agree. It appears that Harbaugh was simply waiting for an opening and Smith has played well enough to not give it to him, but this injury allowed CK to show what he can do, and if he can keep it up, it's over for Smith in San Fran.
                          There may not be another player in the history of the NFL who got more chances and was stuck with longer than Alex Smith. So it's hard to feel bad for him from that perspective. If the end up going with CK after today then Alex will get an audition somewhere else. Several teams have pretty bad QB situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                            There may not be another player in the history of the NFL who got more chances and was stuck with longer than Alex Smith. So it's hard to feel bad for him from that perspective. If the end up going with CK after today then Alex will get an audition somewhere else. Several teams have pretty bad QB situations.
                            He's the 5th-rated QB in the NFL right now so he's got that going for him. I wish him all the luck in the world.
                            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                              He's the 5th-rated QB in the NFL right now so he's got that going for him. I wish him all the luck in the world.
                              You wonder how much of that is their system. They run, run, run, run, run, 5 yard pass for the most part. Last year he had like 17 TDs in 16 games or something. He was on a better pace this year.

The fact that the coach was willing bench him despite pretty good numbers this year makes you think he felt it was the system as well.

Maybe Harbaugh thinks he has a superstar sitting on the bench in Kap. I don't know. I'd stick with what's been working, fwiw. And Alex has worked fine this year and last.
                              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahDan View Post

There's two ways to look at that - if there's ever been a rookie QB who was instantaneously made cannon fodder on a terrible team w/ a porous offensive line and no blue chip receivers, then jerked around w/ OC changes every single year, but toughed it out - that's also Smith.

I think both of those narratives are technically true - but I don't think there are any other QBs who would have been significantly better under the same circumstances.
                                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Working...
                                X