No announcement yet.

Official 49ers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ted Ginn is going to be great, I can just feel it!
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      Ted Ginn is going to be great, I can just feel it!
      Well if Dolphin fans had their way, they'd have ended up with Brady Quinn. So yeah, that wouldve worked out well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
        I think Iupati has a chance to have an impact this year. Davis seems more like a project to me, with the talent potentially paying off big time. Still not sold though.

I think NO and Min as well as Dallas will both be good this year. But after those three, I think SF falls into the next group of teams like Atlanta or the Giants that could be pretty good if they get all the pieces together. I think anything but the playoffs this year is a disappointment, and then moving forward make a legit run. With a solid young core, I see no reason why they can't.
        Aren't both Iupati and Davis slated to start as of now?

Comment

Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
          Aren't both Iupati and Davis slated to start as of now?
          So far through the two preseason games they've both started, and played fairly well. Being wrong on Davis and having him able to start from day 1 and not get killed would be great for SF.

Comment

So far through the two preseason games they've both started, and played fairly well. Being wrong on Davis and having him able to start from day 1 and not get killed would be great for SF.
            Both Davis and Iupati looked young in the first game. A lot of mistakes, but Seattle is a loud place to play your first real game.

As bad as it sounds, I am somewhat hoping SF finishes out of the playoffs and lands a top-10 pick. I like the attitude Singletary has brought to the team and I still believe that he'll turn the team around. But man, Alex Smith is terrible. With guys like Ryan Mallet and Andrew Luck likely in the draft (do not get me started on Jake Locker) I think SF could be in great shape. I've wanted AS to succeed as he seems like a nice enough guy, took less money to come back to SF and try and make things right... but I just don't think he's the guy.

It'll be interesting seeing how they play v. New Orleans on Monday. Even in winning, I wasn't overly impressed with the Saints. With tough games at Kansas City (who beat SD on Monday night at Arrowhead) and at Atlanta (who took them to the woodshed last year) an 0-4 start isn't completely unrealistic.

Maybe it really is time to take the San Antonio Spurs approach to building a dynasty!

Comment

From an outsider's perspective (and an admitted Smith homer) the 49ers 0-2 looks a lot better than either Dallas or Minnesota. The 49ers really helped the saints A LOT with those boneheaded turnovers...the snap over the head, the muffed punt, and the two INTs. If they can cut those down, they've got a chance to turn this thing around. They still play in a fairly weak division and have a decent schedule (home game in London aside).

Sizzle & others, are you encouraged by what you saw last night? Discouraged? Meh?
              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

I was actually encouraged. It was one of the few times I remember, that I have watched Smith in a 49ers uni and been really impressed. At the end of the gave he looked like a winner.

Comment

Smith looked good last night and he was smiling on the sidelines. He's gaining confidence. I wrote him off last week and I'll stick by that until he can put a couple more good performances together.

The Niners committed FOUR turnovers compared to none from the Saints. It's amazing that they were in that game until the end.

The Niners have three first round draft picks and two second round draft picks on the line. They have a first round draft pick at receiver and another first round pick at tight end. Alex Smith was the overall #1. Frank Gore would have been a first round pick if he hadn't blown out his knee twice in college- everyone else's loss was the Niners gain in the fourth round. None of these guys look like busts yet (Smith has come very close) and they could become very good.

Gore average over 5.5 yards a carry last night and he received a lot of Smith's passes. Davis played well. Crabtree needs to come along some more. I think the o-line did an admirable job last night, that group will only get better. Smith is going to have to get more in tune with the WRs because most NFL defenses will be able to lock down on Davis and Gore if those are the only two guys you're throwing to. Morgan had a good game last night, but Crabtree only had one reception (albeit for 32 yards).

As for the defense, I love the front 7. The corners aren't bad but there are some problems at safety. I wouldn't have minded seeing the Niners use one of their first round picks on a CB in this last draft and then they could have moved Clements to FS. I don't think I've seen Taylor Mays on the field yet. Great athlete but probably a marginal NFL player.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Hmm. Did anybody watch the game to see what went wring today? Or maybe better put, did anybody watch to see if anything went right?

Comment

Hmm. Did anybody watch the game to see what went wring today? Or maybe better put, did anybody watch to see if anything went right?
                      Matt Cassel had 3 TD passes, his best performance of the year...sounds like that team is now struggling on both sides of the ball.

Smith had an INT early and a TD late (like 5 seconds to go late).

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                        Matt Cassel had 3 TD passes, his best performance of the year...sounds like that team is now struggling on both sides of the ball.

Smith had an INT early and a TD late (like 5 seconds to go late).
                        Where did Kansas City come from? What a start.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

On the wrong...

Offensive coordinators are wise to the defensive players/schemes that were so effective against the run the last few seasons. Instead of running against the 49ers, teams attack them with elaborate screens on the edges. And it's killing them. 10-15 yards at a time. Willis can't do everything, so once a back gets on the edge, the 49ers are getting gashed (see Monday night too).

They have to adjust their schemes to protect against this obvious hole. The problem is they're slow out there, so maybe there is no fix.

Now on to the biggest problem...Jimmy Raye thinks is 1978. He's under the allusion you can simply impose your will on another team by pounding it over, and over, and over again with inside runs. It's a joke. This is QB league, a match up league, an scheme league, and he is totally predicable.

With the Niners down 21 in the 3rd, he called three straight runs up the middle. What? Trying to establish the run down three TDs, on the road? On pass plays, KC's corners were jumping all the routes because everyone knew what was coming (see the INT on the slant to Crab).

"I've seen that route on film a lot," Flowers said. "Crabtree likes to run to the flat and then angle it back in for a slant. I just played what I'd seen on film."
                          The 49ers have more talent than the Chiefs. Lots more talent. Yet they were totally embarrassed out there today. Completely out coached and schemed.

Raye should be fired on Monday.

edit: here is a link on the quote: http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/26/10/i...46&feedID=2539
                          Last edited by 8BR; 09-26-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I've been a big Singletary supporter and I'm a fan of continuity. But he's had enough time that if SF keeps up this level of play through the year I think he starting to get on the hot seat.

If he goes, I think they have to look at ambit name guy like Cowher or Gruden. Like you said, the talent is there. Just not getting it done.

Comment

I've been a big Singletary supporter and I'm a fan of continuity. But he's had enough time that if SF keeps up this level of play through the year I think he starting to get on the hot seat.

If he goes, I think they have to look at ambit name guy like Cowher or Gruden. Like you said, the talent is there. Just not getting it done.
                              If they don't win the NFC West this season, I think he'll be fired. Based on everyone winning today but 49ers, that appears to be a pipedream.

I'd look at Jim Harbaugh being the next Niners coach, if Sing doesn't make it. It doesn't look good for AS at this point either. He'll probably be a backup in SD next season. Way too many check downs from Smith; he's too worried about making a mistake. He'd be better just going balls out and stop being so mechanical.

On other note: Anthony Davis should not be starting. I know he is their first pick from the draft, but he was getting destroyed out there today.

Comment

Gruden would be interesting because he was gushing about Alex Smith on MNF, so if he came in, would they extend Alex Smith? It'd be his 6th year by then and (potentially) no playoff appearances.

Comment

Working...
                                X