Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Official 49ers Thread

Good call SMR. Mayfield looked like good Brett Favre last night.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Good call SMR. Mayfield looked like good Brett Favre last night.
    i was a browns fan growing up, that came to a halt when they moved to baltimore and i haven't had an nfl team since then. they go and draft my favorite non-byu college player and he has a debut like that. most fun i've had watching an nfl game in years. i love the nfl, but its a lot more fun when you have a real rooting interest.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Baker looked legit last night.

good night, sweet tygod prince
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Well, that was fun while it lasted. Jimmy G on ice the rest of this season. Maybe they can bring back Kap and sell some more shoes!
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

At least they finally got around to naming him starter. Baker showed up on the sidelines of the Army game looking like he walked straight out of 1989 in black jeans and a shredded acid-washed jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    At least they finally got around to naming him starter. Baker showed up on the sidelines of the Army game looking like he walked straight out of 1989 in black jeans and a shredded acid-washed jacket.
    silly they took so long. there would have been a mutiny in cleveland if Taylor had been named.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Losing Jimmy G for last season to land Bosa appears to have been a stroke of genius.

Also, Freddy Warner is playing really well for a defense that is one of the best in the NFL.

This team makes me very happy. Robert Saleh is awesome.

Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Sunday's game was something else. Back and forth all game, each team throwing punches and trick plays or wrinkles to take advantage of matchups. Ultimately, George Kittle is a freaking man and put the team and three Saints defenders on his back and carried the Niners into FG range for the win.

It feels like everyone on the team has been hurt at some point - Kittle, Sherman, Tartt, Staley, McGlinchey, Breida, Richberg, Samuel, Sanders, Coleman, Witherspoon, Jimmy Ward, Juice, etc. The fact that they've dealt with all those players missing time and still been in the position they're in is amazing. Hopefully they don't suffer anything else, because this team has a shot against anybody.
    Last edited by Sizzle; 12-10-2019 at 04:36 PM.

I have a 95% chance of getting tickets for this week's game. 35 yard line, 15 or so rows up, or so I have heard. Should know tomorrow if we have them. So excited!

If the Vikings keep on winning and the Niners win tonight, the Niners will get the #1 seed if they beat Seattle...

... if the Niners lose to Seattle, they end up with the #6 seed. I can't recall something like that ever happening.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Fred Warner with the huge pick six tonight.

Too many close games though. They are killing me.

Baldy loves Fred. So do I.

Last edited by Sizzle; 12-22-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Fred Warner with the huge pick six tonight.

Too many close games though. They are killing me.
    The Niners' last four games have been decided on scoring plays that occurred on the last play from scrimmage.

The pass rush has turned into garbage without Dee Ford, they just double Bosa. I don't have a good feeling about Week 17.

They should have also signed Justin Houston during free agency. Pass rush was their most glaring weakness last year and they addressed it with Bosa, who's been great, and then See Ford who's injured almost every year. They needed another guy. The Blair injury has also contributed to the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The Niners' last four games have been decided on scoring plays that occurred on the last play from scrimmage.

The pass rush has turned into garbage without Dee Ford, they just double Bosa. I don't have a good feeling about Week 17.

They should have also signed Justin Houston during free agency. Pass rush was their most glaring weakness last year and they addressed it with Bosa, who's been great, and then See Ford who's injured almost every year. They needed another guy. The Blair injury has also contributed to the decline.
    Dee Ford, Kwon Alexander, DJ Jones and Tartt all being out has hurt the defense. Then guys like Blair like you mentioned are missing too. That’s four starters out. Of course the defensive production has dropped off. Get Ford and Tartt back for the playoffs and I’m feeling a lot better. Especially if they can beat Seattle and get that week off. That’d be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    Especially if they can beat Seattle and get that week off. That’d be huge.
    Seattle is trash.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Seattle is trash.
    And I was happy to watch them get beat by a not-that-good Arizona Cardinals team yesterday. Hopefully San Francisco can beat them by a bigger margin next week and not come down to the last second. Seattle is the only NFL team that I regularly like to cheer against, regardless of who they're playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Seattle is the only NFL team that I regularly like to cheer against, regardless of who they're playing.
    That's because you are a bad person. (Sorry, just being honest.)

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Seattle is trash.
    Fact

I'm trying to figure out how George Kittle lasted until the 5th round a couple years ago. This dude is the best player the franchise has had since Jerry Rice left the team following the 2000 season. Time will tell, but that includes Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Joe Staley and Frank Gore.

What a defensive performance by SF today. After the first drive when Witherspoon got smoked, they held Minnesota to 3 points that came off a Jimmy G INT. They are so much better with their front four healthy - Bosa, Buckner, Ford and Armstead are all really good and make it tough for opposing offenses because you can get pressure with four and letting you play coverage with seven - which is huge when one of those seven is Richard Sherman playing like a top 3 corner right now.

Offensively they started out very much in control and coasted. I would’ve liked to see one more TD, especially after the muffed punt. But I’ll take a 17-point win in round one when essentially the entire second half it was grind it out football.

Excited for next week! Hopefully the Packers win tomorrow so either Fred or Jamaal are playing in the Super Bowl.

Fun game

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how George Kittle lasted until the 5th round a couple years ago. This dude is the best player the franchise has had since Jerry Rice left the team following the 2000 season. Time will tell, but that includes Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Joe Staley and Frank Gore.
    Because he played at Iowa where they don’t throw the ball all over the place. And honestly, I think SF deserves a lot of credit developing him one and putting him in a position to succeed. What’s really crazy is SF drafted a giant turd sandwich that draft in Solomon Thomas, Reuben Foster, CJ Beathard, Ahkello Witherspoon and Joe Williams. Yikes. Their two best picks were Kittle and DJ Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle View Post
    Because he played at Iowa where they don’t throw the ball all over the place. And honestly, I think SF deserves a lot of credit developing him one and putting him in a position to succeed. What’s really crazy is SF drafted a giant turd sandwich that draft in Solomon Thomas, Reuben Foster, CJ Beathard, Ahkello Witherspoon and Joe Williams. Yikes. Their two best picks were Kittle and DJ Jones.
    DJ Jones is a really good player, a starter in some of their defensive packages. Two starters is okay and when one of them is Kittle, then it's a good draft.

They royally botched that #3 pick, that's the one which really hurts. Jamal Adams and Marshon Lattimore went around the top ten and secondary was a need, though CB a lot more than safety (especially when you consider Tartt and Ward were already there). That draft was loaded with CBs .

Foster could play but was a first team, all-pro idiot. He may still show flashes with the Redskins but he'll continue being a dumbass.

The '18 draft has produced McGlinchey and Warner, so roughly on par with the '17 draft. The '19 draft was the best, but Bosa was a can't miss prospect.

Lunch and Shanahan have truly shined with their free agency pickups and trades -- Sherman, Alexander and Sanders. Garappolo for a second was a trade anyone would have made.

49ers smashed Packers in the season, so what are the predictions? Packers been on an impressive run coming into this one, hard to call albeit a substantial win.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie1989 View Post
    49ers smashed Packers in the season, so what are the predictions? Packers been on an impressive run coming into this one, hard to call albeit a substantial win.
    I don't think you can look at the game earlier in the season and say that Sunday will play out similarly. SF played probably their best game of the year and GB their worst. Once the Packers got down early after the fumble, it makes teams one dimensional, and outside significant momentum swings like KC got on Sunday (TD + stopped fake + fumbled kick return) it's tough to come back from being down two scores.

I think Aaron Rodgers is an all-time great. He's capable of making so many plays and throws that few others can. He's a witch. But he's also one. I think Davante Adams is really good too. But for that, I think SF defensively has more talent top to bottom. Their front four is really good, and assuming they are able to stay healthy through Sunday, I think they can make life rough for Rodgers.

The flip side, I think Kyle Shanahan is an incredible coach, who has this knack for finding the mismatch and exploiting it. As far as offensive skill players go, George Kittle is really the only "elite" guy SF has on offense. But Kyle understands what his players can do and he finds ways to capitalize on those strengths against a defensive weakness. And I don't think GB has enough defensive horses to slow SF. I think it's going to be a closer game - somewhere along the lines of SF 24 GB 17 - but one I think SF wins.