X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
    Isn’t Mangum older than Sherman?
    Shouldn't this go in the "Ouch" thread?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Fred Warner is a 49er. So awesome! 3rd round pick. Love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Fred Warner is a 49er. So awesome! 3rd round pick. Love it.
        Great fit for him. I dont know how much the defense, and particularly if the LB coach has changed. But they’ve have a solid LB crew for years.

Comment

• Warner is the one pick everyone seems to like. It's a position of need and Warner fits in perfectly.

I was a little confused by the McGlinchey pick, but it's apparent that Shanahan wants to dramatically improve the running game and Brown was not a good run-blocker at all. It's a position that you usually have to spend a high draft pick on.

I was utterly confused by moving up in the 2nd round to draft Eagle-Eye Cherry. It's a marginal improvment at the slot and at returner. The biggest need was edge rusher and Harold Landry went just a couple spots ahead of where the Niners traded up for Pettis. They could have also stayed put and found someone else later in the 2nd round to improve the slot and then used one of their 3rds on Arden Key. There's a 75% chance that Key is going to be out of the NFL within 3 years, but there's a 25% chance that he lives up to his top ten pick talent. It's worth going for that with a third round pick (the Raiders got him towards the end of the third).

Moore, who they drafted late in the 3rd, is a great athlete but played safety in college. I think they'll try to convert him to CB, if they succeed it will be a good pick.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
            Warner is the one pick everyone seems to like. It's a position of need and Warner fits in perfectly.
            Stoked about this pick. I think Warner has the opportunity to be a fixture in SF for a long time. Warner's versatility is huge - and apparently he scored a 32 on the Wonderlic, so SF loved that about him. I hope Foster gets his stuff figured out, because Foster and Warner could be a solid tandem for the next 10 years at LB.

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
            I was a little confused by the McGlinchey pick, but it's apparent that Shanahan wants to dramatically improve the running game and Brown was not a good run-blocker at all. It's a position that you usually have to spend a high draft pick on.
            You just spent a ton of money on Jimmy G as your franchise centerpiece at QB. Usually the only way you find a franchise tackle is picking in the top 10-15 of the draft. Hopefully SF doesn't pick this high again for a long time. This pick helps protect the Jimmy G investment in two ways - one, adding a solid tackle for pass protection now and hopefully for the next 10 years, and two, having a great run blocking tackle opposite Joe Staley. Improving the run game will go a long ways to keeping Jimmy G healthy and not putting it all on his shoulders. If Brown showed up to camp as out of shape as was reported, I wouldn't want to spend what he'd likely demand and count on him to be protecting my QB. I'm okay with the move here

I was utterly confused by moving up in the 2nd round to draft Eagle-Eye Cherry. It's a marginal improvment at the slot and at returner. The biggest need was edge rusher and Harold Landry went just a couple spots ahead of where the Niners traded up for Pettis. They could have also stayed put and found someone else later in the 2nd round to improve the slot and then used one of their 3rds on Arden Key. There's a 75% chance that Key is going to be out of the NFL within 3 years, but there's a 25% chance that he lives up to his top ten pick talent. It's worth going for that with a third round pick (the Raiders got him towards the end of the third).
            The move is a bit surprising, in part because I thought Trent Taylor has been great in the slot and that's where Pettis projects as a best fit. They said they view Pettis as being able to play all three receiver spots though, and if he's being groomed to be an eventual replacement for Garcon, so be it. The fact that he's a great returner is a plus in my eyes. With regards to Key, I think SF was a little bit scared off based on what's happened with Foster this year as well as Aldon Smith in terms of his challenges. I agree that there is definite upside with the pick - figuring out whether or not it was worth it to make the call is another question.

Moore, who they drafted late in the 3rd, is a great athlete but played safety in college. I think they'll try to convert him to CB, if they succeed it will be a good pick.
            They seemed to take quite a few DBs in the later rounds. Take a swing on a couple of guys and see who pans out. DB seems like one place, along with LB, where you can get quality depth in later rounds. So I'm okay with those picks.

What I didn't love is taking two "redshirt" guys in Street and Harris. Street is rehabbing his ACL and Harris is coming off an Achilles tear. Probably just feeling burnt from Baalke. A 6th round pick isn't a huge issue, but the 4th, I felt like we probably could've addressed our interior of the OL there, for depth at the least. In all, I think it's an okay draft. But maybe some of these guys are impact players. I don't think it's terrible, but this definitely feels a bit underwhelming. Also didn't love not acquiring any future picks either for next year.

Comment

• I am excited for Warner.

https://amp-sacbee-com.cdn.ampprojec...rom%20%251%24s

"I was a big fan of the 49ers pick when it was made in the draft — I watch of Mountain West football — but Warner has looked tremendous in person. The one knock on the kid — who played a quasi-strong-safety role at BYU — was that he doesn’t hit hard. Maybe that’s the case in games, but it doesn’t seem to apply to practice. Warner has been a standout at a position that is showing some surprising depth."

Comment

• The purge of the Utes continues! First they released Zane Beadles earlier in the year, and now...
                https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/8/...8-joe-williams

Williams qualifies as the first draft bust of the John Lynch/Kyle Shanahan era. The 49ers invested a fourth round pick in Williams after Shanahan and running backs coach Bobby Turner went to the mattresses for him during the draft. Lynch was initially skeptical but came around and the 49ers gave Williams a shot. He suffered an ankle injury and spent his rookie season on injured reserve. He did not overly impress in his two preseason games this year, and the team has decided to cut its losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                  The purge of the Utes continues! First they released Zane Beadles earlier in the year, and now...
                  https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/8/...8-joe-williams
                  He sucked. He was too much of a pussy in college, wasn't surprised it didn't change.

I am concerned about the running game. I am not really looking any of the backs.

On a positive note. Fred Warner didn't suit up last night along with some of the other starters. That bodes well for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    On a positive note. Fred Warner didn't suit up last night along with some of the other starters. That bodes well for him.
                    Fred seems to be getting a lot of love in SF. Which makes me happy. I was high on the pick for SF and so far it seems like it's working out. This article was encouraging:
                    https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/...ope-for-49ers/

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    He sucked. He was too much of a pussy in college, wasn't surprised it didn't change.

I am concerned about the running game. I am not really looking any of the backs.
                    I hated the Joe Williams pick back then and I hate it even more now. I'd love it if Jamaal was the Williams in SF instead of Joe. But I'm happy for Jamaal in Green Bay too.

For SF's running game, it's interesting to me to see how much they've invested in the OL (Staley obviously, McGlinchey this year, signing Richenberg in FA at C) but have some issues still at guard. Maybe the guys they have figure it out, but when you're at the bottom of the league in terms of guard play, I can't imagine you're going to be great running the ball. Maybe McKinnon gets some of that back in the passing game (screens and short passes out of the backfield) but to me what SF is lacking is a game breaker (or two) on offense that you have to account for. They're a team that has a ton of complimentary pieces that are great, but need that dynamic threat - someone you have to scheme to take away. I don't buy that it's McKinnon (I hope it is and I'm just wrong) and I don't think any of the receivers are that guy either - Goodwin is probably the closest, but he's not consistent yet.

We'll see. I'm bought in on Jimmy G though. So hopefully nice to at least have the QB position locked up.

Comment

• With Foster out because of a two-game suspension, it looks like Fred will start.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        With Foster out because of a two-game suspension, it looks like Fred will start.
                        That is the plan, and it sounds like he may start along side him when Foster comes back too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                          Fred seems to be getting a lot of love in SF. Which makes me happy. I was high on the pick for SF and so far it seems like it's working out. This article was encouraging:
                          https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/...ope-for-49ers/
                          Very complimentary.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Fred looked pretty good during the preseason. Aside from the BYU angle, I was very pleased with that pick and I think there's reason for optimism on him being a solid contributor.

I think the defense will be middle of the road at best, it doesn't appear as if there's going to be much of a pass rush. The WR corps is filled with a number of #2 options but no real #1. I am cautiously optimistic at Garcon and Goodwin playing together, they fill different roles and will complement each other nicely. Goodwin was on his way to a 1,000 yard season but he's not a good RZ target. Eagle Eye Cherry will have the versatility to fill in for either when the inevitable injury comes and he'll probably be an improvement on Trent Taylor as third receiver. It appears as if Rick James is going to make the roster, he looked good against the scrubs in preseason. Jimmy G has a quick release and it somewhat negated the crapitude of the o-line last year and Shanahan is a good offensive coach. Shanahan reportedly doesn't value guards very much, while he does value tackles and apparently centers to a lesser extent. Old Man McGlinchey was picked to improve the running game where he'll be an improvement over Trent Brown who can't run block effectively when he's actually on the field. If Richburg remains healthy, he'll be a huuge improvement over Kilgore. I don't love the RB corps at all, we couldn't run last year. Though the o-line will be better, last year's line was a dumpster fire and being better just means it's a work in progress.

I think this is around an 8-8 team. Tough schedule, no pass rush, an o-line that hasn't played together with questionable talent at guard, and a below average RB corps. On the other hand, good QB, really good offensive coach, interesting receivers, decent linebackers, and Buckner, who is the one legit all-pro quality player in his prime on the team until/unless Garrapolo strings a whole season together. If Garrappolo plays the entire year at the level he played at the end of last year and the rest of the team improves incrementally, then perhaps they can go 10-6 and get the last playoff spot in a tough NFC. But the o-line needs to gel this season and the Niners need to add a pass rusher and solid all around RB in the next offseason.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              I pity the dipshit who takes Darnold over Mayfield. and I like Darnold a lot.

now if somebody takes Rosen over Mayfield...
                              bump.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                lol. Mayfield is pretty much better at everything than Rosen. I take that back, he is better at everything than rosen. stronger arm, more accurate, more mobile, smarter, better competitor, better vision, better pocket presence, better leader. basically, come up with a skill that a QB needs in order to be successful, Mayfield has it over Rosen.
                                and bump.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X