Official 49ers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    I pity the dipshit who takes Darnold over Mayfield. and I like Darnold a lot.

now if somebody takes Rosen over Mayfield...
    Thats a hot take. The first one. Not so much the second.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
      There are too many holes to fill to waste a high draft pick on a non-franchise QB. If you're not sold on a guy (which I'm not on Rosen) then hopefully you are able to trade down with a team desperate for another player, or fill the need with best player available.

For me, SF could still use help in the secondary. I'm not sold on Jimmy Ward as a high safety, and Florida State's Derwin James has the makings of an All-Pro guy. Calvin Ridley looks like he could be a stud WR. And Joe Staley isn't getting any younger. I think Trent Brown can be a solid tackle, but finding Staley's eventual replacement isn't a bad move either.

I will say, if they don't find the guy this year, the 2019 draft becomes critical to finding the guy. Or, you hope to land someone in free agency. I hope they don't regret passing on Watson from Clemson this last year. Way early and the jury is still out, but the kid was a winner at Clemson.
      Unless they can draft Darnold, I think there's a strong possibility that they pay Cousins with an enormously front loaded contract. They have a ton of cap space so they can pull it off. I can't recall the timing on free agency, so I don't know know if Cousins would be locked up in advance of the draft if they don't end up with the #1 pick and/or Darnold decides to stay. If they're reasonably certain on Cousins, I can see them taking a safety, a true edge rusher or a WR, whichever is the best available. There's a decent chance it could be Ridley. SEC 1st round receivers have been pretty good in recent years.

Right now, the 49ers have exactly zero blue chip players in their prime. Carlos Hyde, if he can continue his current pace, could qualify. Buckner is a blue chipper, but still only in his second season. The jury is out on whether Reuben Foster can remain healthy. Joe Staley is past his prime but still a great player.

The interior of the line is really bad, a center or guard is a must in the second round this upcoming year. Lynch made a really good trade getting the Saints 2nd round pick for a third round pick. That could be in the middle of the round if not higher.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
        Some media types in and around DC remain convinced that Kirk Cousins is your guy, and I think the asking price is going to start somewhere in the 27-30 million per, annually area. Now, to my way of thinking, that's a lot of money to sink into a QB when you are in the middle of a rebuild and need at least 2 more drafts, probably, to see the team be competitive in that division. Then again, these same folks all heap a ton of praise on Kyle, so maybe that is worth it.
        Scot McCloughan has a pattern of finding great players in the middle rounds, yet he seems to always be run out of town because he's a drunk. His track record is incredible. The Redskins looked pretty good the other night, are they on the upswing?
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          Scot McCloughan has a pattern of finding great players in the middle rounds, yet he seems to always be run out of town because he's a drunk. His track record is incredible. The Redskins looked pretty good the other night, are they on the upswing?
          There seemed to be mixed reviews heading into the season, with Jacskon and Garcon gone, it was the first time a team had lost two 1,000 yard WRs in the same off-season, so there was a lot of uncertainty with Pryor and Doctson being the top guys, especially since Doctson can't stay healthy. They invested heavily on the defensive line, and IMO, flat out got lucky that Jonathan Allen was there for them at #17. He had a real nice game against Oakland.

McCloughan is interesting. I think his firing had as much to do with his personal choices as it did him being a challenge to Bruce Allen (Team President) within the organization.

As for Cousins...the Skins have three options...well, four:

1) They can negotiate exclusively with him on a long term deal between the end of the season and whenever free agency starts.
          2) If they can't reach a LTD, they can transition tag him, which gives him the ability to negotiate with other teams, but if he signs the tag he'll make 28 million next year on his third one year deal in a row. For those counting at home, that's 19.5 Million last year, 23.5 million this year, and 28 million in 2018. This is where the 49ers could swoop in and offer him a poison pill type deal that pays him more in 2018 salary, or bonuses then the Redskins can/want to pay.
          3) They can sign him to the exclusive franchise tag, which will give him about 34 million next year, and he can't negotiate with other teams. Even if he signs the tag, I think he would have until mid-july to reach a LTD with them.
          4) Let him walk, and get a compensatory 3rd round selection in the 2019 draft.
          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Unless they can draft Darnold, I think there's a strong possibility that they pay Cousins with an enormously front loaded contract. They have a ton of cap space so they can pull it off. I can't recall the timing on free agency, so I don't know know if Cousins would be locked up in advance of the draft if they don't end up with the #1 pick and/or Darnold decides to stay. If they're reasonably certain on Cousins, I can see them taking a safety, a true edge rusher or a WR, whichever is the best available. There's a decent chance it could be Ridley. SEC 1st round receivers have been pretty good in recent years.

Right now, the 49ers have exactly zero blue chip players in their prime. Carlos Hyde, if he can continue his current pace, could qualify. Buckner is a blue chipper, but still only in his second season. The jury is out on whether Reuben Foster can remain healthy. Joe Staley is past his prime but still a great player.

The interior of the line is really bad, a center or guard is a must in the second round this upcoming year. Lynch made a really good trade getting the Saints 2nd round pick for a third round pick. That could be in the middle of the round if not higher.
            When is the last time a free agent QB changed teams and made a long-term impact on the team he signed with? I'm not talking about a Peyton Manning type deal. Drew Brees is really the only option I can think of - and San Diego already had their QB of the future to replace him with. The point is, real franchise QBs don't get away in free agency ever. So the odds are one, Washington doesn't let Cousins go, or two, he's not really a franchise guy. Given Shanahan's familiarity with Cousins, I'd have to defer to him on his evaluation. Personally, I don't think he's a guy that's leading a team to a Super Bowl win.

I don't think they can invest in an edge rusher unless they're a true generational type talent (and I don't know that there is one in this draft). They've taken Buckner, Thomas, and Armstead in the last three drafts in the first round along the line, and added a LB in Reuben Foster. Unless it's a case like Myles Garrett last year where he's the clear cut guy, there are too many other holes to fill.

Definitely agree on the interior of the line needing to be addressed. Joshua Garnett from Stanford hasn't made the impact he needed to (and his injury this year hasn't helped). Hopefully having him back next year helps. But they've had too many other interior linemen not pan out and it's resulted in stop-gap guys like Zane Beadles being asked to fill the void. I do think the OL gets addressed heavily this year though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
              When is the last time a free agent QB changed teams and made a long-term impact on the team he signed with? I'm not talking about a Peyton Manning type deal. Drew Brees is really the only option I can think of - and San Diego already had their QB of the future to replace him with. The point is, real franchise QBs don't get away in free agency ever. So the odds are one, Washington doesn't let Cousins go, or two, he's not really a franchise guy. Given Shanahan's familiarity with Cousins, I'd have to defer to him on his evaluation. Personally, I don't think he's a guy that's leading a team to a Super Bowl win.

I don't think they can invest in an edge rusher unless they're a true generational type talent (and I don't know that there is one in this draft). They've taken Buckner, Thomas, and Armstead in the last three drafts in the first round along the line, and added a LB in Reuben Foster. Unless it's a case like Myles Garrett last year where he's the clear cut guy, there are too many other holes to fill.

Definitely agree on the interior of the line needing to be addressed. Joshua Garnett from Stanford hasn't made the impact he needed to (and his injury this year hasn't helped). Hopefully having him back next year helps. But they've had too many other interior linemen not pan out and it's resulted in stop-gap guys like Zane Beadles being asked to fill the void. I do think the OL gets addressed heavily this year though.
              If Washington has a successful year-- playoffs with a playoff win, then there's a good chance that Washington moves heaven and earth with their salaries to have cap space for Cousins and Cousins also believes the situation in Washington is not dysfunctional. If they don't finish at least 10-6, then they'll continue to think that Cousins isn't quite that franchise QB. If Cousins duplicates what he's done the past couple years, then the stats indicate that he's a top 7-8 QB in the league regardless of the record. What's funny is I'm not totally sure why Cousins would think moving from the Redskins to the 49ers would get rid of the dysfunction. The only ownership in the NFL who might be worse than Daniel Snyder are the Yorks.

My take is Cousins is in fact a top 7-8 QB and the Redskins stumbled on a good coach. The remaining question is whether McCloughan had the same impact in his short stint with the Redskins as he had on the 49ers and Seahawks.

Comment

If Washington has a successful year-- playoffs with a playoff win, then there's a good chance that Washington moves heaven and earth with their salaries to have cap space for Cousins and Cousins also believes the situation in Washington is not dysfunctional. If they don't finish at least 10-6, then they'll continue to think that Cousins isn't quite that franchise QB. If Cousins duplicates what he's done the past couple years, then the stats indicate that he's a top 7-8 QB in the league regardless of the record. What's funny is I'm not totally sure why Cousins would think moving from the Redskins to the 49ers would get rid of the dysfunction. The only ownership in the NFL who might be worse than Daniel Snyder are the Yorks.

My take is Cousins is in fact a top 7-8 QB and the Redskins stumbled on a good coach. The remaining question is whether McCloughan had the same impact in his short stint with the Redskins as he had on the 49ers and Seahawks.
                If Doctson can stay healthy and Sua Cravens gets his S together and comes back next year, I think Scot's picks will be considered a success. The team also allegedly followed his board this past year after firing him and landed some injured guys who've gotten healthy and looked decent in the early going here.

I think the more logical spot for Cousins would be in LA with Sean McVey, but if Goff improves, that is out the window. The place I think nobody is talking about but should would be in New Orleans with Sean Payton...because I think they let Brees walk at the end of the year, and someone gives him a monster paycheck for 2 years (potentially Washington if they let Kirk walk).
                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

I don't think Cousins is in the upper echelon of guys who can lead an offense to winning a Super Bowl. I don't even know that he's consistent enough to be the "Game Manager" type guy to get a team there. QBs I'd rather have for the next three years right now that Cousins would include Brady (three years makes it tough), Rodgers, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Derrick Carr, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees (three years also tough here), Russell Wilson, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, Phillip Rivers and Carson Wentz. The fact that we're talking about Cousins making $30M a year potentially seems like crazy talk to me.

Comment

• I'm worried that the Niners won't be able to keep up with the Browns. That team looks worse than that 0-16 Lions.

Comment

• No mo Bo.

Sad to see Bowman released, but I get it. And I'd rather the FO be willing to work with players in situations like this than have them be unhappy.

Comment

• The 49ers just traded their 2018 second round pick for the single most handsome man in the world, Jimmy Garappolo. Granted, that will be the 33rd or 34th overal pick, but I'm surprised that this is all it took to get him. I suppose the Pats wanted to see if Brady could still play this year.

Comment

The 49ers just traded their 2018 second round pick for the single most handsome man in the world, Jimmy Garappolo. Granted, that will be the 33rd or 34th overal pick, but I'm surprised that this is all it took to get him. I suppose the Pats wanted to see if Brady could still play this year.
                          Hubris. It has backfired on Belichick before. I hope Brady’s 40 year old knees are in excellent shape.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Hubris. It has backfired on Belichick before. I hope Brady’s 40 year old knees are in excellent shape.
                            The rumor is they'll flip the pick for defensive lineman. The Niners are releasing Hoyer and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats pick him up as the backup.

They weren't going to pay Garapollo in the season, but weren't the trade offers in the off-season supposedly better than a second round pick?

Comment

• Reasons I like the trade:
                              1) QB is the most important position on the field. If you think you can get a franchise guy, you do it.
                              2) This gives SF a chance to get to know Jimmy G before inking him to a long term deal. Half a season should be enough to know what you’ve got, or at least know if you want to stick with him or move on. And if you’re not sure you can always address a QB with your first round pick still.
                              3) Hopefully allows a trade down in the draft from a top 5 pick to acquire more pieces and really accelerate the rebuild.
                              4) This is a bold move that a team makes when they want to win. Hopefully they feel that with good QB play they can win some games and change the culture.

Reasons I don’t like it:
                              1) I still like Sam Darnold.
                              2) I don’t know that any QB could succeed this season in SF and I don’t think you want to get Jimmy G hurt and break his confidence because of a terrible supporting cast on offense, especially the OL.
                              3) I hate the Patriots, and B.B. QBs haven’t had great luck elsewhere (it’s like John Stockton’s backup - they play fine in Utah but never succeed anywhere else). Maybe Jimmy G is different.

In all, I think the pros outweighs the cons significantly here and it’s a risk, but a low risk high reward move. Thumbs up from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The rumor is they'll flip the pick for defensive lineman. The Niners are releasing Hoyer and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats pick him up as the backup.

They weren't going to pay Garapollo in the season, but weren't the trade offers in the off-season supposedly better than a second round pick?
                                The story is that the Pats received a lot of offers for Garapollo in the off-season, but none of them were good enough to lose a potential franchise QB. So I guess that those offers weren't as good as a second round pick, at least for them at that time. I wonder what changed.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X