No announcement yet.

Official 49ers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The frustations are starting to mount in S.F. and Smith may be the first to feel the impact:

"We're 0-3,'' Smith said, when asked if he expected changes. "I would certainly say so. I wouldn't be surprised [by] it. It's part of the deal. It's the name of the game here.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz10jH6iLjY
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by 8BR View Post
      On the wrong...

Now on to the biggest problem...Jimmy Raye thinks is 1978. He's under the allusion you can simply impose your will on another team by pounding it over, and over, and over again with inside runs. It's a joke. This is QB league, a match up league, an scheme league, and he is totally predicable.

Raye should be fired on Monday.
      Here you go...

The 49ers have fired offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, the NFL Network reported Monday morning, less than a day after head coach Mike Singletary said Raye would serve in that capacity for the remainder of the season.
      http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/27/10/4...39&feedID=2539

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
        Gruden would be interesting because he was gushing about Alex Smith on MNF, so if he came in, would they extend Alex Smith? It'd be his 6th year by then and (potentially) no playoff appearances.
        Nope. If they don't make the playoffs AS will not get a new contract.

Comment

I don't want the 49ers to suck this year because of how much I like 8BR and sizzle, but the thought of them taking Harbaugh from Stanford next year has me positively giddy.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            I don't want the 49ers to suck this year because of how much I like 8BR and sizzle, but the thought of them taking Harbaugh from Stanford next year has me positively giddy.
            I care more about long term viability. If we can keep Manusky and land Harbaugh as the head guy, I could live with that.

Comment

Good hell, Jimmy Raye was awful. Alex Smith wasn't bad under Norv Turner. He'll likely be out of SD after this season, but Turner is a helluva OC, really one of the best in the business.

Gruden and Cowher are waiting in the wings. I think Jerry Jones is going to get Cowher this offseason. Gruden would be a good fit in SF and he's also a part of the Bill Walsh coaching tree.

Other coaches are running circles around SF. I like Singletary and he's probably a good DC, but how many games has SF lost as a result of unforced errors over the past couple years?

The QB question has to be answered this offseason. It looks like SF has a legit shot at the #1 pick and I'm not sure if you answer the QB question with drafting Andrew Luck (and maybe picking up Jim Harbaugh as coach along the way), or just try to find some vet or trade for someone's back up (Kevin Kolb?). I would rather go with a vet or other team's back up, especially if Kolb is available. If SF can lure Gruden out of the booth, I think Kolb going from Philly's system to Gruden's system would be a pretty good idea.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

49ers are crap. Total crap! They find ways to lose games.

Smith should be benched on Monday. He is not competent in the red zone; he's not fit to start in the NFL.

Clements falls on the ball and the game is over too. Whatever.

Goodbye, Sing. Hello Harbaugh!
                Last edited by 8BR; 10-03-2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  Other coaches are running circles around SF. I like Singletary and he's probably a good DC, but how many games has SF lost as a result of unforced errors over the past couple years?
                  Singletary may be a great motivator as a coach, but he has never been a defensive coordinator and really isn't regarded as a great tactician. Greg Manusky has always been the defensive mind in San Fran, where the thought is that Sing is the guy to get the players motivated and play to their best. So far, mixed results. They seem to get up for big games (their best two games against New Orleans and Atlanta) and blow games they should probably win.

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  The QB question has to be answered this offseason. It looks like SF has a legit shot at the #1 pick and I'm not sure if you answer the QB question with drafting Andrew Luck (and maybe picking up Jim Harbaugh as coach along the way), or just try to find some vet or trade for someone's back up (Kevin Kolb?). I would rather go with a vet or other team's back up, especially if Kolb is available. If SF can lure Gruden out of the booth, I think Kolb going from Philly's system to Gruden's system would be a pretty good idea.
                  Of the worst teams in the league so far this year (1-3 or 0-4) Detroit (Stafford), Cleveland (McCoy), Carolina (Claussen) already have their QBs of the future. Buffalo and Oakland both could look to draft a guy high, though both seem to have more needs than just a QB. Buffalo is legitimately bad, but I think Oakland won't finish in the bottom 5 teams of the league this year.

As far as coaches are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if Singletary is given the year. I really do think their eyes would be on Harbaugh or Gruden to replace him, with Harbaugh doing wonders in Stanford (and his brother doing a pretty good job as a head coach in Baltimore) and with Gruden having ties to the West Coast offense and San Fran, and having won, I think either choice would work. I'd probably lean towards Gruden given his success at the NFL level if I were choosing, and with a feeling that the talent on the offense (Gore, Davis and Crabtree) all would fit very well in a West Coast style offense.

I can also say that this has been a hellacious football season for me with San Fran combining for a 1-8 record, two fired coordinators, scoring a total of 128 points (for an average of 14 points a game) while giving up 247 points (for an average of 27 points a game). It's just ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                    Singletary may be a great motivator as a coach, but he has never been a defensive coordinator and really isn't regarded as a great tactician. Greg Manusky has always been the defensive mind in San Fran, where the thought is that Sing is the guy to get the players motivated and play to their best. So far, mixed results. They seem to get up for big games (their best two games against New Orleans and Atlanta) and blow games they should probably win.

Of the worst teams in the league so far this year (1-3 or 0-4) Detroit (Stafford), Cleveland (McCoy), Carolina (Claussen) already have their QBs of the future. Buffalo and Oakland both could look to draft a guy high, though both seem to have more needs than just a QB. Buffalo is legitimately bad, but I think Oakland won't finish in the bottom 5 teams of the league this year.

As far as coaches are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if Singletary is given the year. I really do think their eyes would be on Harbaugh or Gruden to replace him, with Harbaugh doing wonders in Stanford (and his brother doing a pretty good job as a head coach in Baltimore) and with Gruden having ties to the West Coast offense and San Fran, and having won, I think either choice would work. I'd probably lean towards Gruden given his success at the NFL level if I were choosing, and with a feeling that the talent on the offense (Gore, Davis and Crabtree) all would fit very well in a West Coast style offense.

I can also say that this has been a hellacious football season for me with San Fran combining for a 1-8 record, two fired coordinators, scoring a total of 128 points (for an average of 14 points a game) while giving up 247 points (for an average of 27 points a game). It's just ugly.
                    It'll be interesting to see what happens this week for SF. Especially with a Sunday night matchup vs. 2-2 Philly, who may be running Kevin Kolb out there.

Any talk from SF of making a QB change? Or will Smith get another shot? I want him to be more consistant, but it's just not happening. After going 6-6 for 65 and a TD on the opening drive, he just completely fell apart, but I can't imagine there is a ton of faith in David Carr coming in.
                    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Watching Washington v. Green Bay and I am wishing we could have somehow landed Orakpo (or Clay Matthews). Those guys have done a great job putting pressure on the QB. We could use a guy like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                        Watching Washington v. Green Bay and I am wishing we could have somehow landed Orakpo (or Clay Matthews). Those guys have done a great job putting pressure on the QB. We could use a guy like that.
                        Yeah. Instead the Niners miss a sack and give up the TD.

Comment

Also, I can't believe the 49ers are still getting smoked by the screen 24x7.

Comment

Gore with the fumble, directly after a good conversion by Smith. The 49ers have 0 pass rush. They're letting Kolb do whatever he wants back there.

Comment

Alex just got booed off the field after that pick.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                Alex just got booed off the field after that pick.
                                Horrible throw. He should have been.

Comment

Working...
                                X