Prop 8 Has Been Overturned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Personally, I think that would be great. No more denying friends and relatives access to marriages involving LDS couples. Win-win.
    I agree. I know we have a thread on this somewhere, but what exactly is stopping people from doing this now? As Scandell notes, this is how he did it just 10 years ago. Worthiness was not an issue, and I suspect the reason was to include some non-members in the event. So why don't people just choose to do this now if its an issue?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      I agree. I know we have a thread on this somewhere, but what exactly is stopping people from doing this now? As Scandell notes, this is how he did it just 10 years ago. Worthiness was not an issue, and I suspect the reason was to include some non-members in the event. So why don't people just choose to do this now if its an issue?
      Do they make you wait a year if you do a civil ceremony first?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Because current Church policy requires couples who marry civilly in the U.S. to wait one year before getting sealed. This is under review, and today's decision may hasten a move toward the Church's European approach. I don't have any source for that, it's more wishful thinking.

Comment

They didn't for scandell (sorry scandell, if this is more info than you wanted out in the open).
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't think they do everywhere - there are some countries, IIRC, where temple marriages are not recognized. In those cases, they waive the year, if what I have heard is correct.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              I don't think they do everywhere - there are some countries, IIRC, where temple marriages are not recognized. In those cases, they waive the year, if what I have heard is correct.
              If they allow it in Europe and not in the US, it would appear that they are adding on an arbitrary penalty solely to discourage the dual approach. Seems kind of harsh for part-member families.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

My folks got married in the temple and then had a fake ceremony afterwards.

The minister who did it wasn't aware they were already married and wasn't very happy when he found out.

Comment

Personally, I think that would be great. No more denying friends and relatives access to marriages involving LDS couples. Win-win.
                  +1

I also think this would make temple sealings even more special.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Agreed. I also think the hoopla of the wedding day detracts from the temple ceremony. Have a civil wedding, get married, have your reception, etc. Go to the temple with your family the next week and get sealed.
                    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

In the US, with rules as currently constituted, they would. In Europe, they do not. But you're not allowed to consumate the marriage prior to the sealing. If you do, you have to wait a year. I assume the same rules would apply here.

Comment

If they allow it in Europe and not in the US, it would appear that they are adding on an arbitrary penalty solely to discourage the dual approach. Seems kind of harsh for part-member families.
                        One interesting and I would assume highly frustrating caveat, European members are counseled to not consummate their marriage until after the sealing.

Comment

Yep. I am a convert and my wife's parents are. The only family members present in the temple were here parents. The marriage waiting room OTOH was overflowing. Plus there were lots of out of state family members who didn't come. And really, who could blame them? Fly to Utah for a reception?

Of course, the young idealistic recently returned mission FMCoug thought this was great. But in hindsight ... not so sure I would do the same thing.
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Say WHAAAAAAAT?

Oh, your parents, right?
                            Hmmm.. I don't that's why we did it. i just remember going to the courthouse to apply for our marriage certificate... wait...is this a different thinger?

Comment

Originally posted by scandell View Post
                              Hmmm.. I don't that's why we did it. i just remember going to the courthouse to apply for our marriage certificate... wait...is this a different thinger?
                              Yes, that's a different thing. Everyone has to do that! Now you've made me out to be a fool!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                                One interesting and I would assume highly frustrating caveat, European members are counseled to not consummate their marriage until after the sealing.
                                Counseled or commanded? That seems really dumb to me, given the legally and lawfully wedded language and all of that. Are they afraid the couple will rock the casbah until the early morning hours and miss the temple appointment?
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X